BC Inflator versus traditional octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
So, what is the consensus on the board. Is the combination BC inflator/alternate regulator better than the "traditional" octopus.

Seems to me that the primary advantage of the BC inflator route is one less thing hanging from your BC. Primary disadvantage is difficulty using the alternate air source while also inflating/delfating the BC.

Primary advantage of the "traditional" octopus set-up is the flexibility offered when you need to loan some air or use after problems with your regulator.

What are the thoughts? Have I summarized the pros and cons?

Rich Hagelin

Of course people have different opinions and it comes down to what works for you. However I think in general, including this board, the consenus would be in favour of the octopus. In my opinion (and from what I have read, most's opinion) is that the one less hose is not a huge enough advantage to go for the option that in my opinion is more prone to problems and is less standardized. Although I have heard of many who say that it works well for them, and I believe it does work for them.

Maybe I have been disillusioned to the BC ocky...when I am running club dives and charters with my dive club/shop (Who uses the AirII inflators), I always bring along extras for the rental gear. Every single time I have had at least one (usually more) fail on me, usually in the form of auto-inflating the BCD. But perhaps that's just that they are getting old, something which is not my department. We are phasing them out in the rentals, by the way, for favour of a standarized Octopus.

You'll never get a consensus on ScubaBoard :D

You have left out a third option, that many divers on this board use - the bungeed backup under the chin, coupled with donating the primary regulator from the mouth.

I use an Air2 and I love it... (one less hose to get in the way) :)

I do have to make sure that when I have a buddy, they understand how my equipment is set up. It works great, and if you are familiar with it, there's no problem breathing it AND inflating/deflating at the same time.

That said, I use it for purely recreational diving - haven't been below 100' with it. When I start doing more advanced diving, I will go to a standard Octo set-up. (I'll also lose the weight0integrated BC at that point). I think that when deco stops and such become mandatory, it would be better to have another second stage on a long hose.

An Air 2 type inflator isn't DIR so they get slammed pretty hard on Scubaboard, especially by those who have never used one.

Personally I think they are absolutley ideal for solo diving with a redundant air source such as a pony bottle or independent doubles. Since solo diving, ponies and independent doubles are not DIR either, it is no surprise they do not like Air 2's.

For solo diving, the Air 2 eliminates a hose and a conventional octopus that cold other wise be confused with the "third" second stage from the pony or independent double. And it still allows you an alternate second stage to access the air in the main tank if the primary second stage fails. Consequently it is a very nice piece of kit to have along. It is also a very nice and very precise balanced infaltor and far better than all of the other generic inflators out there that no one seems to have a problem with even though they are crappy and failure prone inflators.

I have had 2 OOA buddies when diving with an Air 2 and things worked as advertised. The most likely recreational scenario is that your buddy will mug you for your primary and in that situation an Air 2 is easy to find and always ready for use. In situations with more time and warning you can donate your primary and then use either the Air 2 or the redundant air source.

There is also a great debate on dumping air from an Air 2 during ascent. In truth it is not hard and particularly with Scubapro BC's with a separate right shoulder dump and on most other BC's with a left shoudler dump incorporated into the inflator hose, dumping air through the Air 2 is not even required. So that issue is really only a theoretical issue in tech configurations with no shoulder dump at all.

One of the myths is that an Air 2 will not perform well at deeper depths. I have used my TUSA Duo Air (Air 2 clone) at 150 ft with no problems. The Air 2 guts are bascially the same as the R190 and R390 and it works fine at depth as is the case with most quality combination inflator/octos.

The main anti Air 2 arguments usually center around the premis that every thing an Air 2 can do, a set of manifolded doubles with a 7' primary hose and a necklaced short hose octo can do better and the arguments tend to get real dogmatic real quick.

The primary pro Air 2 argument centers more or less on the often unstated fact that not everyone is a tech wanna be nor do they want to massively over equip themselves for the average recreational dive and that the Air 2 saves a hose and is always easy to find and always ready to go when you need it.

The truth is the Air 2 works very well in recreational situations and in solo diving situations as long as you are familiar with it.

The other truth is that the Air 2 is not ideal for use with technical configurations due to the fact that it is not required or needed and because your DIR indoctrinated buddies will give you crap for having one in the first place.

So hopefully this summary will save yet another 20 page debate on the merits of the Air 2.

I used an Air 2 in the Arctic last winter while AAUS diving for the University of Washington/US Navy.

The only reason I had it was that it was mandated by the diving protocol for this expedition. I trained with it in the Puget Sound doing "bail out proceedures" etc. and while it worked just fine the only real problem I had was the limited head movement afforded by the hose configuration, I also had a little trouble with the thick gloves I was wearing and the Button arrangement on the equipment itself.

Caution:

Based upon casual observance and discussion the major problem with this piece of equipment seems to be that divers don't take enough time maintaining it. They seldom have them serviced (should be serviced the same as any other regulator). To insure that it is working properly it should be taken more seriously...

Kevin Parkhurst
IDEA Instructor

DA Aquamaster:
The truth is the Air 2 works very well in recreational situations and in solo diving situations...

would have an advantage as it functions well in these situations, and is also suitable for tech. This will provide a consistent gear config...no changing of gear required for different dive types.

Not sure how anyone benefits by limiting discussion, tho...

richhagelin:
So, what is the consensus on the board. Is the combination BC inflator/alternate regulator better than the "traditional" octopus.

Seems to me that the primary advantage of the BC inflator route is one less thing hanging from your BC. Primary disadvantage is difficulty using the alternate air source while also inflating/delfating the BC.

Primary advantage of the "traditional" octopus set-up is the flexibility offered when you need to loan some air or use after problems with your regulator.

What are the thoughts? Have I summarized the pros and cons?

Rich Hagelin

Hi Rich,

I'd 'vote' against the Air2.....I only dive the 'traditional' octo. Consider this: have you EVER seen 'tech' divers ...in photographs/videos/TV/ in-person using an Air2 ? I suspect there's a good reason you don't see professional divers use them...and if you ever expand your dive training you will get to see in real-life why this is the case.

I defy you to find a technical diving class of any sort where an Air2 would be permitted anyway...so if you insist on using an Air2, give up on seriously expanding your dive training/career...you won't be allowed into the water with it.

If you have no intention of becoming a more serious diver and are content to stick with very simple recreational diving, you are certainly 'free' to use an Air2...and if you are lucky you will never be confronted in real-life by one of the many situations where an Air2 will lead to tragedy......only then will you appreciate that just maybe those 'tech' divers know what they are talking about.

Karl

My wife's Christmas present to me was a Zeagle Ranger and a Zeagle Octo+. She's not a diver so the LDS sold her on this. After just playing around with it dry (in my house) I took it back and got a regular inflator. The position of the inflator and dump buttons was just too close together for my comfort. I'm a new diver (only 5 non-pool, non-cert dives) and having both buttons operated by the same thumb wasn't going to be a good thing to start out. I don't have my regulator yet, so I'm sitting on the store credit for now.

I don't know if the configuration of the Air2 is similar, but that was a change that just wasn't for me. Having never gotten the thing wet, I have no comment on its performance.

-Rob

For any type of "serious" diving, a high performance reg is the only way to go... PERIOD

However, for casual diving the integrated inflate/octos are just dandy.

I'd hate to be at even 100' let alone the 130' range without a performance second stage and full control over my bc.... SCARY if you ask me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom