BC HOSE RIPS OFF---No Positive Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is an unwritten law or at least a protected protocol that we don't hunt while scuba diving. It is just that simple. You spear or you scuba. The greedy, the neebies, the nonathletic ignore this protocol. Its all about being a sportsman. It might sound silly. But it is a direction in life. The easy way or the challenge.

:rolleyes: I had a lengthy reply to this, but something tells me I'm wasting my time.

kneptoon:
It is an unwritten law or at least a protected protocol that we don't hunt while scuba diving. It is just that simple. You spear or you scuba. The greedy, the newbies, the nonathletic ignore this protocol. Its all about being a sportsman. It might sound silly. But it is a direction in life. The easy way or the challenge.

Wow... Harsh. I just wanted to say that I have less thatn 20 dives, only one "real" dive trip plus my cert and even *I* knew that you end up dumping to surface...

Establishing bouyancy was definately the hardest part but by the 3rd dive, i had it all figured out...

be safe FSU_John and practice more, at least that is what I am going to do, with an experienced diver as your buddy and utilize this board for learning. (they have already helped me so much and don't even realize it)

oh and please don't steal animals anymore okay?

John, I assisted with the FSU class for many a semester. I most likely DM'd a pool session or two of yours. I will say this about the FSU program: it creates academic divers. That's all. The program is a 16 week program that teaches the same things that I teach in 3 weekends. We used to have to come up with "confidence" builders to fill the pool sessions. Also, the director of the program, while he is a nice guy, is what I would call your "typical open water diver." He thinks back inflate BCs are "for cave divers." Buoyancy to him is not an art. To him, you should be overweighted and have a BC to counter it. Yes, you learn a lot in the classroom, but in actual diving, you earn very little practical experience. I have done a blindfolded bailout off of a high dive, but does that make me a better diver? Not in the least bit. Going to Morrison Springs and a 3 day trip to the keys is not significant. As for weighting, I am 220lbs (a lot of pudge), in a 8mm suit, with an AL80... I can do well on a dive with 8lbs. I think that when I exhale, I could probably get down with 6lbs, but it'd be tough. Basically, you had more than twice the weight you should've, while poaching, with faulty equipment, while bragging on your certification. All new divers make mistakes, and yes they should learn from them. However, to say that you are the best trained divers in Florida is a bunch of poop. You just spent some extra time in a pool, that's all. I'm in Tallahassee and go diving (mostly with classes) just about every weekend. If you wanna get some more experience, email me DoItRite@bluewatersports.net.

Just curious... what brand of BC was this that he hose tore on?

(Don't know if it was ever mentioned or asked previously in the thread.... sorry if it was and this is a repeat question).

Mares... but that shouldn't matter. Inspect your life support system before depending on it!!! Also have your buddy inspect it as well! NO buddy? No backup!!! Even in 20-30 feet of water you can drown, what kills more divers? In a panic they forget to/can't inflate their BC to stay above water after they surface. Then swallow water, choke, and drown... dump your weights!

Guys, FSUJohn has been gone a while.

A

AaronR103:
Guys, FSUJohn has been gone a while.

A

Truth hurts? Or maybe "the truth set him free"?
LOL!

Perhaps next time you'll avoid the temptation... and the bad karma... of illegal bug hunting!

To answer your question. We never used BCD when I started diving. In fact I didn't use one for 28 years. We weighted ourselves properly and swam (by kicking slowly) to get back to the surface.

This is something I think divers should practice as a skill. Evacuate your BCD at depth and see if you can slowly swim up to the surface (at an appropriate rate). If you can't, you either need better conditioning or less weight. Difficult from 25' is hard to believe though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom