BC HOSE RIPS OFF---No Positive Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSU John

Registered
Reaction score
So my uncle and I are looking for lobster off of Bimini. I am dragging him behind the boat while he is looking for coral heads with fish around them. I have been on 20 or so dives, so I am confident in the water and with my equipment which was a hand me down from a different uncle. We spotted some lobster so I went down to catch the critters. <I know it is illegal to catch lobster on SCUBA in the Bahamas, but shhhhhh> Well I was not worried much about buoyancy, I just wanted some lobster. So I descended to about 25ft caught two lobster and started my ascent. I was under for about 2 min, so I wasn’t worried about a safety stop. I pushed my inflator button and pushed it again, and again and again while I was swimming upwards, BUT GOT NOTHING. So now I'm thinking, huh this is weird, its pretty hard to swim to the surface. Well back then i was pretty over weighted(14lbs) no wet suit and i weight about 160lbs. I didnt panic, but I wasnt sure how serious the problem was. So I basically swam my *** off to the boat, which was about 15 yards away. I will tell you, that was not an easy swim. I could have ditched my weights and donned my uncles gear to retrieve them, but I didnt deem the situation that imperative. Once back in the boat I inspected the BC to find that the inflator hose was 50% torn off from the flange where it is melted and sealed to the BC. Boy am I glad this did not happen at 80 or 100 ft..... What is the proper technique if this were to happen at a deep depth? If you drop your weights that deep you are shooting to the surface, right? Should you depend on your buddy and his BC to help you swim up? Has anyone else had this problem??? Not a life and death story, but an incident from the normal all the else.

Carrying a liftbag would give you additional buoyancy if needed.

Why were you overweighted?

Edit: do not poach or you'll be submitted to a mitten-biffing...

I didnt realize that I was overweighted. I didnt compensate for not using my wet suit, and I would explain the rest to lack of experience with the fine tuning of proper weighting. On a previous dive I was underweighted and the dive sucked, so I vowed to never let that happen again. In the bahamas I wasnt particularly worried about it, I had other things on my mind, you know women, beer, blue water and yellowfin tuna! I know now though, that being overweighted in an emergency isnt the best way to dive...

Try to have a balanced rig: you must be able to swim up without having gas in your BCD/wing.

FSU John:
I know it is illegal to catch lobster on SCUBA in the Bahamas, but shhhhhh

If there is one thing I despise in the ocean, it is poachers...

Had you been properly weighted to dive in your trunks you would have only been negative by about 5-6 pounds, the weight of the air that would have been consumed during the dive. That is worst case, as you begin the dive. It sounds like you have realized this.

Divers who dive sans BC get this weight balance just right and are naturally drawn to the surface as they near the end of the dive. I have even read of divers collecting some stones to remain neutral as the tank lightens. When it is time to surface they drop just enough to ascend. Remember that they not usually including much neoprene or air bladders on such dives so buoyancy is stable, not varriable.

* A lift bag or SMB as mentioned would have done the trick.
* A buddy would have been nice to have.
* Were you prepared for solo diving?
* If there was enough integrity for some of the inflator air to get into the BC bladder orienting head dowm may have captured enough of a bubble to do the trick.
* Having your weights somewhat distributed either in a pocketed belt, integrated pull outs or pockets would give you the flexibity to make an on the fly adjustment.
*This is all easy for me to say while I'm sitting here eating breakfast. The most important thing you said is that you consciously chose not to ditch your weights. Most rapid ascents are more survivable that drowning on the bottom.

I wonder when the BC became damaged? Did you jump from the boat and plumet or did you get in the water and take inventory before heading down? After rinsing do you store it inflated to keep the inside walls from clinging? Coming back to a limp BC would have been a red flag even with the beginnings of a leak.

Just some thoughts. I'm happy to hear you managed OK.

Pete

FSU John:
I pushed my inflator button and pushed it again, and again and again while I was swimming upwards, BUT GOT NOTHING.

Why are you trying to add air as you ascend? Standard procedures is to vent on ascent, not to add air.
You should have noticed this problem long, before ascending.

Poaching gives all divers a BAD REPUTATION. Your post is not worthy a reply from a diver who respects the laws not only here but everywhere I go!!!!

Mr.X:
I feel the same. Your hose ripping off was perhaps karma - eh?

X

I hope he takes up some other activity instead of diving. Especially since he has no regard for law or dive safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom