BC HOSE RIPS OFF---No Positive Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, he said sorry back on page 3 and that is enough. Problem solved.

The real problem, which should be apparent, is the widespread belief in ocean species as a constant renewable resource. While marine wildlife is still abundant, fish (and crustacean) wild populations are at dangerously low levels. Poaching is evil, however industrial fishing often removes large percentages of local populations through subsidized overfishing. The increase in shrimp farms has led to biomass fishing that remove many juveniles of various species before they can reproduce. These are used as generic shrimp-feed. Many fisheries cut down mangrove swamps - an essential breeding ground and nursery for several ocean species.

The chilean sea bass is dissapearing.

Often times, the bycatch (bykill) of the commercial fishing industry is greater than the targeted catch. In the early 90's, discarded red king crabs in the Bering Sea exceeded 16 million animals.

Netting methods thought to be dolphin safe often are a danger to turtles, sharks, and billfish.

So, instead of focusing on a young diver who has most likely learned a lesson at this point, focus on your own consumption habits and the state of our waterways in general. We are all responsible for these declines.

Well said Vayu. I as a young diver in my early 20's I'm puzzled by the assumption that we're supposed to be "inexperienced" and "stupid." I've been diving for over 10 years now, and now that I'm a professional underwater videographer my diving skills have exploded to the point where very soon I will have my instructor certification :) So start hiring me now especially if you're in the south pacific (hint hint) lol

The point is I often find myself more knowledgable and experienced than the average diver however many of my opinions or offered help are overlooked simply because of my age. This sort of age discrimination really annoys me especially when I'm simply trying to share advice. I find this not only on this board but in the real world as well.

And to all the ones pointing fingers saying poaching is bad and what not but than taking the trip to the local red lobster and ordering the all you can eat shrimp and lobster: you're all [insert choice word here] hypocrites.

I don't eat seafood, I just don't like it, and to my family and friends who insist upon eating it I always make it a point to buy farm raised animals as it has far less detrimental impact on the wild. There is a major problem with the shifting baseline (look it up) where certain people (I won't say names) say that taking one or two lobster is not a problem because the commercial fishermen are going the rape the reefs anyways. What kind of logic is that? Most of the divers I've dealt with like to preach conservation but they go ape-**** over lobster miniseason and eating at the banana boat.

So FSU dude: I wouldn't take all the criticisms so seriously because most of the people saying it are just as bad as you are. Remember even taking one animal out of the wild is enough to make an impact. As far as I'm concerned you can't single out fish collectors as well, because many of them do it in attempts to preserve species and start domestic breeding programs in attempts to help decorative fish populations before they disappear. Because when that fish is taken, at least it ends up in a clean and safe self contained environment rather than your dinner plate.

And P.S. FAU's ocean engineering program is way better :)

MantaRey:
The point is I often find myself more knowledgable and experienced than the average diver however many of my opinions or offered help are overlooked simply because of my age. This sort of age discrimination really annoys me especially when I'm simply trying to share advice. I find this not only on this board but in the real world as well.

Look at the bright side. Soon not only will you be out from under this prejudice, but be able to inflict it upon your juniors.:D

A scooter is not as easy to get as it sounds:

<ring.... ring>
<Loan Officer:> Hello?
<Diver> Hello, I'd like to take out a loan please.
<Loan Officer:> Ok, what kind of loan?
<Diver:> It's for an underwater vehicle
<Loan Officer:> A boat?
<Diver:> No, a scooter
<Loan Officer:> Scooter, never heard of that. Let me look it up. Who's the manufacturer?
<Diver:> Gavin
<Loan Officer:> What model?
<Diver:> Magnum
<Loan Officer:> It's not coming up. Is there someone at the company I can call?
<Diver:> Yes, his name is George Irv...

<click>

no one else mentioned this particular part of this guys brilliant posts..

"and 25feet of water is not life and death..."

I think it's a important that he FSU John realizes that 1 foot of water can be fatal.

Good luck bud!

Jason B:
Why are you trying to add air as you ascend? Standard procedures is to vent on ascent, not to add air.

I was thinking the same thing...and I haven't even done my open water cert yet.

PerroneFord:
A scooter is not as easy to get as it sounds:

<ring.... ring>
<Loan Officer:> Hello?
<Diver> Hello, I'd like to take out a loan please.
<Loan Officer:> Ok, what kind of loan?
<Diver:> It's for an underwater vehicle
<Loan Officer:> A boat?
<Diver:> No, a scooter
<Loan Officer:> Scooter, never heard of that. Let me look it up. Who's the manufacturer?
<Diver:> Gavin
<Loan Officer:> What model?
<Diver:> Magnum
<Loan Officer:> It's not coming up. Is there someone at the company I can call?
<Diver:> Yes, his name is George Irv...

<click>
The problem is that he couldn't believe someone would want a Gavin :wink:

It is an unwritten law or at least a protected protocol that we don't hunt while scuba diving. It is just that simple. You spear or you scuba. The greedy, the newbies, the nonathletic ignore this protocol. Its all about being a sportsman. It might sound silly. But it is a direction in life. The easy way or the challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom