Bauer VT7 Connecting Rod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone out there have an in to a second stage connecting rod for a Bauer VT7?

Bauer now only sells the entire crank shaft assembly $1200!:bigun2:

I am trying to get one fabricated locally but am having trouble getting Bauer to cough up the tolerances, specifically tensile strength to support the 600-800psi second stage pressure. I have Googled the crap out of it:deadhorse: , no luck. I am hoping for someone with a few dead compressors cluttering up their garage.
:monkeydan

Surface Tension:
A crank shaft assemby for 1.7K sounds a little steep?

The only place to get it is from Bauer. The stopped selling components of it, two years ago. Now you have to go through an authorized distributor of parts and bend over.

Unfortunately for their compressor customers, spare parts is one of the biggest profit centers for Bauer. Give http://www.compressor-parts.com/ a try. They have an online search engine and if you don't find what you need, give them a call.

Good luck!

I have loads of old compressors,some bauer
dont know vt7
got any more info or a photo?

windyairman:
I have loads of old compressors,some bauer
dont know vt7
got any more info or a photo?

On the side of the rod is the part number KB-5051.

That is just a casting number

Is compressor big or small, 3 or 4 stage.
see if any of these help you
purus,utilus,capitano,varius,mariner,k14,k15,k20.
if its any bigger than these i will not a spare part.
any chance of a photo of the part and photo of the compressor unit.
Did you find v17 on a bauer plate?
Do you know how old it is

V17 is "verticus". Represents the vertical format of assembly but owner will need to identify the block as mentioned above.

dschulte:
Anyone out there have an in to a second stage connecting rod for a Bauer VT7?

Bauer now only sells the entire crank shaft assembly $1200!:bigun2:

I am trying to get one fabricated locally but am having trouble getting Bauer to cough up the tolerances, specifically tensile strength to support the 600-800psi second stage pressure. I have Googled the crap out of it:deadhorse: , no luck. I am hoping for someone with a few dead compressors cluttering up their garage.

A couple thoughts;

I haven't ever made any connecting rods for HP air compressors, but I've made a few for gasoline engines, 4 stroke V8's and 125 2 Stokes.

In an engine, which is a compressor of sorts, the critical loads are not associated with the cylinder pressures, but are associated with the inertia of the recipocating assembly. Stopping the mass of piston, wrist pin, at TDC and reversing it is where the loads peak. This is a function of the RPM squared, i.e. the inertial loads at 2000 rpm will be 4x the loads at 1000 rpm.

Air pumps run at low rpm, and consequently I would expect the loads imposed on the conrods to be fairly small.

I'd be really surprised if 4130N (cromo steel in the normalized state) or even 7075 aluminum would proven inadequate.

I'd be most concerned with the how the bearings at end are retained (bearing crush), and maintaining the bores at each end parallel to each other.

How did the original rod fail?

What is it made of?

What type bearing are used?

Pictures?

Tobin

I have found one for you KB5051
But the top roller bearing has been removed
i can fit one before sending it
is your top pin 14mm or 12mm
mail me direct with your address also your time zone +or - GMT
colinbruce6@aol.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/