Need advice for new motor k-14 380 V 50 hz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Con Dao Islands Vietnam. Owner of Dive ! Dive ! Di
# of dives
Gentlemen:
I am writing seeking advice on the subject of a new motor for our recently imported k-14. Assembled in the USA, and now in Vietnam.
It is a Mod 7. It came with the 2 cylinder Lister diesel.
It is well established that these pumps are good for 1,500 RPM with 10 H.P. and that is what I want to run it at.
Motors here are rated differently then in the USA, and I can get through some of the ratings okay, my biggest question..
2 or 4 pole.
2 pole is about 2,800 rpm
4 pole is about 1430 RPM.

Which would be better and why ?
I can make any pulley I need.

The story for those interested...

I have been through one motor, provided to me by a local expert, that was in fact 7.5 h.p. which of course I only discovered after making new pulleys to fit the shaft, a new mounting plate for the motor...having problems and calling the supplier only to be told that I am an idiot, which may well be, but in this case I was liberated when we opened the motor and saw how ridiculously small the rotor and stator are and then clamping on an ammeter...sent the "Engineer" photos and he still had excuses but it was clear he screwed the pooch this being Vietnam, of course he is not responsible.
I am flying to Saigon tomorrow to buy a new motor, none here on the island....and have to now negotiate the sea of fakes, copied crap from china...Okay that part is my problem. Advice please on a motor.
Thank you.

---------- Post added May 17th, 2015 at 06:50 AM ----------

Iain Middlebrook gave me a great answer on tds, that four pole was the way to go.....there is a problem how ever...
This is my reply to him.

Thanks very much for your attention, you are certainly one of the ones who would know the answer.
As you read in my first post I am on my own with this purchase, here in Vietnam sellers have no product knowledge. If I go into a motor shop and ask these kind of questions, the answer invariably is, this is what we have for sale if you want it, buy it, if not, go somewhere else.
That is why I am here asking questions.
I have been considering this 2-4 pole question and came to the four pole conclusion, and your advice clinched it for me..until I started to calculate pulley sizes...I cannot swing a 26 cm blank to make a pulley in my lathe. I could have it made for me...
I had no problem making a dual belt 15 cm for a 2 pole motor, but if I want to mount a 4 pole, I have to jack the motor mounting platform way up in the compressor frame.
A heap of work for somebody with limited welding skills and only scrap iron to work with, what off casts I can find on the island, as there is no steel supplier.
With this new information in mind, is a four pole strictly necessary ?
Bauer set the compressor up with an 18 H.P. 3600 RPM diesel and a 15 cm dual belt pulley. (Diesel meant to run at 3000 RPM.)
Can I get away with an 18 cm dual belt with 10 H.P. 1500 rpm at the compressor and about 2800 rpm at the motor or is the four pole strictly necessary ?
Photos of frame and pulley I have made, if I change to a 2 pole I will have to move the rotor center to near the crank center of the compressor
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6328e4z9v...F8474.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7avnp56wc8...F8549.JPG?dl=0
Thanks very much for your advice...

---------- Post added May 17th, 2015 at 01:28 PM ----------

Problem solved with the help of the guys on TDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom