Bauer K15 oil pressure dropping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regtechkidd

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ive got a Bauer K15 which started losing oil pressure and subsequently shutting off. An oil change was due...(were using CF2000, a food grade synthetic)..and an oil change was carried out. Along with replacement of the oil pressure regulator. The compressor ran for about 12 hours before the problem came back. The oil pump was replaced and the problem came back around 50 hours later.
The compressor will run and oil pressure will build to about 700 psi and gradually drop to 500 psi before it drops out and the compressor shuts off. The set screw adjustment on the regulator does not create a change in oil pressure.
The oil output line from the pump to the regulator has been cleaned inside and out, along with the overflow return to the crankcase, and the sensing line to the gauge and solenoid. The belt is less than a year old and has plenty of tension, and the cam shaft is in great shape.
Any ideas?

Ive got a Bauer K15 which started losing oil pressure and subsequently shutting off. An oil change was due...(were using CF2000, a food grade synthetic)..and an oil change was carried out. Along with replacement of the oil pressure regulator. The compressor ran for about 12 hours before the problem came back. The oil pump was replaced and the problem came back around 50 hours later.
The compressor will run and oil pressure will build to about 700 psi and gradually drop to 500 psi before it drops out and the compressor shuts off. The set screw adjustment on the regulator does not create a change in oil pressure.
The oil output line from the pump to the regulator has been cleaned inside and out, along with the overflow return to the crankcase, and the sensing line to the gauge and solenoid. The belt is less than a year old and has plenty of tension, and the cam shaft is in great shape.
Any ideas?
More then like the forth stage is the problem. It can be an O ring on the bottom of the piston sleeve or it could be a worn out piston. If you do not have large air bubbles in the oil sight tube then it is most likely the o ring on the piston sleeve.
All easy stuff to repair, sometimes putting the sleeve back in without damaging the o ring is difficult. Lub it up good and you can remove the oil pressure regulator and look in at the sleeve as you re-install it, it the ring gets cut on the oil port you will see the piece come off in there.
good luck, ZDD

ZDD

More then like the forth stage is the problem. It can be an O ring on the bottom of the piston sleeve or it could be a worn out piston. If you do not have large air bubbles in the oil sight tube then it is most likely the o ring on the piston sleeve.
All easy stuff to repair, sometimes putting the sleeve back in without damaging the o ring is difficult. Lub it up good and you can remove the oil pressure regulator and look in at the sleeve as you re-install it, it the ring gets cut on the oil port you will see the piece come off in there.
good luck, ZDD

ZDD

I took apart the fourth stage head and cylinder. I did not find any noticiable damage to the cylinder wall, piston sleeve, piston, or o-rings. Before replacing the O-rings with OEM, I examined the guide piston and found it to be cracked right down the face! Although I do not think this is what caused the oil pressure loss, (seeing as that part of the cylinder does not seem to fill with oil presure) I have a new giude piston assembly on the way. After installing the new piston, and all o-rings in the 4th stage cylinder we will see what happens.

good luck, ZDD

ZDD

I took apart the fourth stage head and cylinder. I did not find any noticiable damage to the cylinder wall, piston sleeve, piston, or o-rings. Before replacing the O-rings with OEM, I examined the guide piston and found it to be cracked right down the face! Although I do not think this is what caused the oil pressure loss, (seeing as that part of the cylinder does not seem to fill with oil presure) I have a new giude piston assembly on the way. After installing the new piston, and all o-rings in the 4th stage cylinder we will see what happens.

Per a recommendation from Bauer, I replaced the fourth stage piston and sleeve. At this point all the components of the oil system had been replaced (pump, regulator, fourth stage guide piston main piston and piston sleeve). Still, the oil pressure was dropping. The oil was changed twice in a matter of 4 months while this problem was being narrowed down (Using CF200, a synthetic food grade oil from Trident).
The local Bauer dealer came by to look at the compressor, and could not figure out the problem either. His only advice was to try to change the type of oil being used. Even though we had been using the same oil for 5 years, and an identical Bauer K15 sitting right next to the one in question has the same oil and has had no problems. So....I changed the oil to Chem lube 800 and the compressor has been running properly.

good to hear you solved the problem, don't know why the CF200 wasn't working for you. Perhaps it is that tropical heat you have to deal with.
ZDD

good to hear you solved the problem, don't know why the CF200 wasn't working for you. Perhaps it is that tropical heat you have to deal with.
ZDD

I might believe that if he didn't have another K15 sitting next to it where CF200 works correctly.

On second thought, it has not solved the problem. the compressor ran for two days (about 6 hours) before the problem popped up again.
I spoke with a technician at Bauer headquarters, and he recommended installing a new piston Jug and going replacing the 4th stage valves as well. So, I put a new piston jug in and replaced the valves, along with another rebuild of the pressure regulator, all to no avail.
There has been no water in the oil.

I'm not sure why he would recommend replacing the valves, and I am not sure what he is refering to as a piston jug. I would bleed the oil system both at the oil pump and at the pressure side of the pressure regulator and if that doesn't fix the problem then check those o rings again at the bottom of the piston sleeve. Make absoluty sure that they are not cut.
Keep us posted because this is a good one.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom