Question Bauer Capitano II 480V 3 Phase to 240V Single Phase Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair its a 18 year old machine its a 2003 model it has auto stop and there's no visible rust. The guy i got it from is the chief engineer on the ship this was used on, he told me it was last ran in 2020 to do an air quality test but they hadn't actually used it to fill tanks since 2019 and they last changed the oil and filter in 2018.
auto stop is not auto-drain, auto drain is much more useful than auto-stop, though every pump has auto-stop very few have auto-drains. Sitting around is not good for these things, even if it was ran a year+ ago it doesn't mean it doesn't need valves. Running it up for an air test is the equivalent of starting your car in the driveway for 5 minutes then stopping it and expecting it to last. They need to be run fully up to temperature on a regular basis to keep everything happy.

auto stop is not auto-drain, auto drain is much more useful than auto-stop, though every pump has auto-stop very few have auto-drains. Sitting around is not good for these things, even if it was ran a year+ ago it doesn't mean it doesn't need valves. Running it up for an air test is the equivalent of starting your car in the driveway for 5 minutes then stopping it and expecting it to last. They need to be run fully up to temperature on a regular basis to keep everything happy.
Yeah for sure but these machines are built to last i have a bauer junior also from 2003 and it runs like a champ its sat for a year and when i fire it up it runs fine.

Hey guys i just bought a 2003 Bauer Capitano II with 34 hours on it. It's wired to run on a 480v 3 phase motor and i want to convert it to 240v single phase so i can use it at home.
Id appreciate a list of components ill need to make the change and if you guys could recommend an electrician that could do the job here in South Florida.
As suggested by @tbone1004, for running your excellent Toshiba three-phases motor in a home environment, equipped with just a single-phase power grid, the solution is purchasing an inverter with single phase input and three phases output. I think in the US an inverter is called a VFD. This has the additional advantage of allowing for a very slow soft-start of the system.
Installing it is trivial, it takes less than 2 minutes, and requires no special skill. You just need a screwdriver...
However, I do not agree with @tbone1004 on the cost estimate, I think that you can buy a VFD much cheaper than he estimated.
Something like this one:
61wxIqjBZ2L._SL1001_.jpg

It is a 5.5 kW unit, selling for just € 371.09 on Amazon Prime:

Code:
https://www.amazon.it/Convertitore-frequenza-inverter-variatore-controller/dp/B089W81GC8

I saw the post, I replied to it.
Doesn't sounds like he had them run it prior to purchasing.
When you buy unknown, you have to buy cheap.
$2800 is a good price if the unit is running and operating normally.
It is a lot to pay for something that could need thousands of dollars to get working.

I saw the post, I replied to it.
Doesn't sounds like he had them run it prior to purchasing.
When you buy unknown, you have to buy cheap.
$2800 is a good price if the unit is running and operating normally.
It is a lot to pay for something that could need thousands of dollars to get working.
The compressor runs fine.

Its in very good condition it only has 34 hours i bought it off the chief engineer on a ship he told me it was their backup compressor. Id want about $3700 OBO.

I thnk I hit a zenith when I bought a rotary phase converter

Here's that which contactor schematic you wanted my man

052.JPG

who knows knowone knows Jorge Sosa: thinks he knows but he doesn't even know, maybe Donald knows

happier-diver

I thnk I hit a zenith when I bought a rotary phase converter

Here's that which contactor schematic you wanted my man

View attachment 695221

who knows knowone knows Jorge Sosa: thinks he knows but he doesn't even know, maybe Donald knows

happier-diver
Ouch! This looks a quite complex wiring...
See here instead how much simpler is connecting the cheap inverter I suggested:
51iToracnQL._SL1001_.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom