barnacle embedded in skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachbums

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My husband and I dive, but we spent the past few days snorkeling with our daughter in Jupiter, FL. Today we snorkeled at Cato's Bridge. I know in the midst of diving down and looking about I bumped the barnacle coated bridge supports a time or two. When I got out, I found that my left knee was a little scraped and bleeding. At the one spot, there was an odd bit of something white (looked like a tiny piece of plastic) so I reached down to pick it off. Turned out that as I pulled on it, it stretched out at least an inch and then let go of my knee. It was actually soft and filmy, and of course I dropped it into the water. It left behind a small, round divot about the size of a mustard seed. It didn't hurt or burn at the time, but since then the surrounding area has become tender and warm, and my whole knee aches, and it becomes stiff if I'm sitting still. I've soaked it in epsom salts, and plan to put antibiotic ointment on it. So far the "wound" hasn't scabbed over, it's wet with white blood cells. I've searched online for how to treat it, but there doesn't seem to be anything that relates to a human having a barnacle choose it as a host. I guess this is a kind of unusual. :( Is this something I need to worry about, and is there anything more I should do? Any helpful input appreciated!

I would suggest an ER visit.. at least see your doctor as soon as possible. I would not wait until Monday if it continues to show signs of infection. Sounds like you will need some antibiotics! Hopefully your tetanus shots are up to date also?

I would also learn know to avoid bumping into things in the water if possible.

Last edited:
An inch long, soft and filmy doesn't sound like a barnacle (which is an arthropod).

OK. It did seem pretty incredulous to me that a barnacle could/would abandon his home for a new one so easily and quickly. So, what do you think it was? There was very little to it. Like a filmy thread or fine yarn.

A friend just suggested putting vinegar on it, as she says this kills parasites. She says it's very likely some sort of parasitic worm that was in the water and took advantage of the open scratch.

Last edited:
Are you a member of DAN (Diver's Alert Network)? If not, you might still be able to call them and ask about this. They know the most about marine environment injuries.

Yup, too bad you didn't keep it and put it in some alcohol to preserve it. Would have helped identify it.

I would definitely seek medical attention as soon as possible. It sounds like the beginning of an infection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

^ Agreed. See a doctor. Infections can get bad in very short order. It sounds like an antibiotic run would be a good way to go. In the future, wear a full length wetsuit if you're going to be bashing up against stuff.

I got a pretty bad hand infection after falling on some coral in Bonaire. It took quite a few changes in antibiotics before finding one that would work.
Unfortunately, there are some unique bacteria in ocean water that make treating ocean scrapes a challenge, especially when the infection is near a joint. Take a trip to the ER, not an Urgent Care, as the ER is equipped to do labs and cultures needed.
The warmth and stiffness you are experiencing is a sign that you have an infection. This is not good, especially so close to the knee joint.

I'm not sure what manner of creature you're describing but did the soft-bodied creature penetrate the skin? I can't tell from your post whether it was lying on the surface of your knee or had gotten embedded. I definitely agree with Tracy and the other posters above in that you need to be seen in the ED or urgent care to rule out infection.

Last edited:
Thanks for your inputs. Oh yes, it definitely penetrated the skin. When I pulled it out, it extended and then resisted briefly before letting go, and it left behind a hole/divet (btw, a mustard seed is about half the size of a BB).

I took your advice and went to the ER today where they diagnosed it as a puncture wound (the "marine" nature of it was new to them) and they prescribed a course of antibiotics (bactrim DS). I hope it's effective, because we are leaving on a 3 week trip to Norway with a Norwegian friend this coming Sunday. Symptoms are the same as yesterday except that the oozing has stopped, there is some numbness now and a pink area about 2" across surrounding it.

I wish too that I had kept the thing, or at least shown it to my husband before dropping it. But it was all so surreal, I wasn't thinking along those lines. It was pretty freaky to pull that thing out of my knee, and I just wanted rid of it.

Please don't think that I make a habit of reef bashing. I do my best to respect marine life. The current running under the bridge was strong, and though I was being careful, it made me brush against the bridge support one of the times that I free dove. The southern FL water was warm, so of the 30+ snorkelers who were at the bridge when we left, I was the only one there who DID wear a wetsuit - my shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom