barnacle embedded in skin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious. Is it possible that the imbedded "thread" was part of a larger animal? Could the symptoms also be part toxin? Part of your symptoms are not common with infections and came on extremely fast if I understand your post correctly.i am wondering if some heat might have help, or still might even if only infection.

Beachbums, I spoke with Dr. Freiberger, who is our resident dangerous marine life expert. He's stumped as to what type of creature this could have been. I've asked DrBill, a prominent marine biologist who posts here, to weigh in with an opinion and also have an email in to one of our former fellows who has a PhD in marine biology. The idea of a large burrowing marine parasite in Florida is a bit unnerving. Meanwhile, have you traveled outside the United States recently? If so, where? Also, can you provide details as to what happened when you pulled the thing out? Did it tug at all? Was there any resistance when you removed it? Was there pain?

Best regards,
DDM

I just read through this thread. It certainly does not sound like a barnacle as the animal itself would not be able to penetrate the skin (they have filtering appendages rather than pinching or grasping ones). It sounds more wormlike. Are you absolutely certain the divot was caused by this critter, or was it caused by contact with the pointed barnacle "shell?" If the critter is a worm, it could have grasped onto the exposed flesh with its mouth and held on as you pulled the rear section away. Any possibility it could have been a caprellid amphipod (skeleton shrimp). They have grasping legs and a long extended body (but are not soft bodied as they are arthropods).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom