Bare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just wondering if anybody dives a bare drysuit. If so what is the quality like? I would love to get a DUI but it is well out of my price range right now and have seen some deals on BARE. They appear to be a good suit, but i would like some info from people who have dove or are currently diving the suit. What are some of the positives and negatives of these suits. I like the trilam but the D6 has potential as well.

Thanks

I have a BARE Trilam with well over 300 dives on it in all conditions imaginable. (I have spent a fair bit of time working in it as well.) It is as good as the day I got it. A Great suit.

I have six different drysuits, all close to the same in age. When going for a fun dive I never give it a second thought, the BARE is the suit I select. Every time.

It feels good going on, wearing topside and I love it in the water. I have let several people use it and they have gone right out and gotten one.

There is no doubt that DUI is a great suit but in the lower price range, you'll be hard pressed to beat a BARE trilam. (The BARE undergarments are great too, but that is another story)

I dive a Bare XCD-2 Tech and love it.

They've got a fabulous range of "off the rack" sizes.

the K

I also have the XCD2 Tech. Fantastic. Easy to self-don too, which is important as I solo often. The compressed neoprene and liberal knee and elbow pads make this suit tough as nails and the bare sizing options are great. Be warned, it is a heavy suit though, so if you are going to travel a lot I'd look at their trilam (or bi-lam) instead of the compressed neoprene. I also love the attached bare boots...two less failure points and they are comfortable both in the water (with my jets) and on the land.

What BobbyT22 said . . .

the K

I dive what has been described here as the ford pinto of drysuits the bare nexgen. I have not dove any other drysuit so I have nothing to compare it to, so take my word with a grain of salt. I love this suit, I dive all year in the northeast and it has not let me down yet. Bare's off the rack sizing is awsome, if I was to purchase a dui suit I would have to add $500 to the price of the suit for a full custom (ya I'm shaped funny) The bare xl/s fits me like a glove. For the price I don't think you can go wrong with Bare, you will just have to put up with a lot of crap from your buddies that spent WAY more on there dui suits:rofl3:.

I have the BARE xcd2 tech suit and it has stood up great with over 700 dives on it. No problems whatsoever with it. BARE does have a office in Blaine Washington so if there are any warranty issues, it is easy to ship to. Get one and you wont regret it. You can take all the money you saved from buying a DUI and get some other nice gear instead!

I just bought a Bare Trilam HD Tech for the exact reason you point out. I used a DUI suit for my drysuit class and it is a really nice suit at a significant premium over the Bare. For a lot less money, I got the suit and a free included undergarment.

I just bought some polypropelene today and can't wait to get the new suit in the (rapidly cooling) water.

I have dove the Great lakes wrecks in a Bare CD4 Pro for 4 or 5 years and it stil looks like new.
As was said before, it is a heavy suit but tough as nails.

I am liking the Bare suit as an option. I have also found what seem like a good dealer. Free thermals, Custom fit, Bare D6 Pro Dry Drysuits. Everybody seems to be posting good things. I am just curious does anybody have anything negative to say? How about any horror stories. I just like to get both sides of the spectrum. I like the lifetime warranty on the seams and workmanship.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom