Bare Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronniemu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I thinking about purchasing a Bare 5mm wetsuit because they offer more sizes. Can anyone offer any advice on these wetsuits? Thanks

Ronnie

I just purchased one for my friend, looks good, good price, has seal flaps at arms and legs , and the one I got has the slick inside (7mm arctic sgs) for a better seal and quicker drying between dives

DB

I have 4 Bare wetsuits, one Bare hooded vest, and a Bare drysuit. I got bare suits mainly because Im shorter and they fit me the best in the torso. They hold up really well. I like the flip seals in the arms and legs also.

i 've been diving a 7mm actic supra semi-dry for 4 yrs. and i love the suit. been in some pretty cold water (40 degrees) and it keeps me pretty warm. i don't try that often though. will be going dry this fall and bare is a frontrunner in my drysuit search, also. i've looked at a few suits and bares quality to price factor is hard to beat.

I have a Bare 7mm arctic sgs Semi-Dry. Its an awesome suit. Slick material inside, stretchy, tough, comfy. I would get another one in a second!
I don't know about the 5mm or 3mm suits, but I would guess that they are good.

I recently decided to retire my O'neill' 3/2 and get a 5 mil suit to keep me warmer. I also looked at Bare because of the sizing options (I'm 145lbs and 6'1). Tried the 5/4 Velocity on and it fit me well, a nice wetsuit. The thing is, I have been spoiled with how easy it is to don and doff my old O'neill. I will admit to a chuckle or two watching others struggle into their suits as I easily slipped into my thin and flexible suit. The Velocity put me in their position, it was a bit of work getting it on and off, the price of a 5 mil suit I wondered?

However, having a Harveys 5 mil suit made of "flex" neoprene to try on at the same time made me realize I could have my cake and eat it too, it was like sliding into warm butter compared to the Velocity. (Pardon the imagery :06:) I could not find a Harveys MT, so I narrowed it down to Pinnacle, O'neill, and Body Glove as they also have extra sizing options. Ended up getting the Body Glove 5/4 Explorer X2 fullsuit for $185 and I love it, great fit and soooo easy on and off.

Guess I can still have a grin at the expense of others :wink:.

Ronniemu:
I thinking about purchasing a Bare 5mm wetsuit because they offer more sizes. Can anyone offer any advice on these wetsuits? Thanks

Ronnie

Let's see,
Tonight I went skindiving in my 5/4 velocity. Has about 75 skin dives on it and is holding up fine. BTW average dive is greater than an hour. at 56 F it was just warm enough with the 5/3 vest.
With that I usually wear mt Bare 5/3 hooded vest. A wonderful accessory that protects your head, warms your torso and squelches back zipper seepage.

I also got a 7mm Arctic fullsuit this year and the 7mm Arctic hooded sleeveless step-in shortie. I've been scuba diving in the 7mm Arctic full suit with the 3.5 hooded vest and been comfortable down into the upper 40s F.

My wife's custom (Atlan) 7mm Arctic hooded sleeveless step-in shortie has been delayed for alterations so I'm waiting for her, it wouldn't be right to be better protected than my spouse and I've been comfortable so who needs the extra bouyancy? :10: I'v skin dove in the two 7mm pieces and they work great together.

All in all the Bare patterns fit me well (XL) so that's a big plus for me. I've tried some others ant they just did't fet as well. Bare does a nice job with seals and those sort of features. The archillies heal I have found and others have mentioned is the stitching. it's not that uncommon to have a loose end or 2 show up from time to time. I just tie it off if I can or else trim it close and follow-up with a few drops of aquaseal or seamgrip. Other than that the stitching is nice and strong as are the glued seams.

I find mine easy to don and doff and I have a nice close fit with a hint of compression. The limb seals are plain black rubber skin and they will clig and grab a bit especially if you're a tad sweatty. Not a big deal and if it bothers you a few spritzes of suit snot eases things. If you're looking at the 5/4 velocity that is a very comfortable suit with the hydrostetch material. Velcro will grab the insides but the worst I've seen is some light pilling.

Shops can be found that discount them nicely PG Dive and Divetank to name two.

Pete

I own the 7/6 velocity (new for 2005) with hydrostretch in the shoulders. I tried many before deciding on the bare. It fits well and the price was great (divetank.com). I dive in 50 to 60 degree water only and I have never been cold. My wife also has the Bare Artic and she loves it! I went with the Velocity for the hydrostretch.

I'd add to consider the SGS suits if you want Bare's warmest wetsuit. The all smooth interior will further hinder water movement as it clings to the skin.

I went with the basic Arctic to save $$ as I do plan to go dry for my coldest diving.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom