Bare Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made up my mind in favor of the Bare wetsuit. Thanks everyone for the information you
had provided! PS - Does anyone know what the difference is on the 2004 and 2005 Bare
5/4 Velocity wetsuit?

Ronniemu:
I made up my mind in favor of the Bare wetsuit. Thanks everyone for the information you
had provided! PS - Does anyone know what the difference is on the 2004 and 2005 Bare
5/4 Velocity wetsuit?

I have that 2004 suit (I think I mentioned that along the way) and just read throught he 2005 specs on the Bare site. I didn't see anything different, maybe they tweaked the graphics or did nothing at all. If you're seeing deals on 2004's I wouldn't hesitate to snatch it up.

The 5/3 hooded vest is a great add on to that suit. I have yet to take it scubadiving but it has done a lot of skindiving. With good gloves you can bein the water before you feel the first warm trickes on your upper body. My most extreme outing was with the vest this spring. I wanted to get in the water in a big way so on april 10th I was in the ocean up here, 40F for 30 mnutes and I got out due to visibility and lack of critters. I could tell I was in cold water but I was fine for the time. I did it again a week later in alocal pond, 2 weeks after ice out. We also did 50F for about 1:45 a few times the fall before. Later I got my 7mm items and went up to 2 hour dives.

Of course in SCUBA you have 100% imersion, compression and a lower energy usage (less body heat produced) so you don't want to try diving my above scenarios.

I just looked back at your post and profile and can't see where you are or what sort of water you pan to dive. Informing the board may get you some additional input.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I am living in Suffolk, Long Island. At this time I am not looking to dive in water colder then 60 degrees, but in the future who knows. Divetank.com just replied to my e-mail and said the cut is a little different, and the material, between the 2004 and 2005 wetsuits. They did not explain the differences of the cut and material. As a new diver I feel somewhat restricted putting on a 5mm suit and did not want to purchase a 7mm wetsuit as my first wetsuit. People would find it amusing watching me don a wetsuiit. Thanks for sharing some of your knowledge with me now and for the other replies to my many post seeking more information in the world of SCUBA diving.

Regards, Ronnie

Just received my Bare 7mm Full Hooded Alpine from Divetank (only 7 days from order to receipt, not bad). I'll post as soon as I get to dive with it.

Did two dives in it this weekend, I really like it. The only annoying part was the zipper comes all the way up to your face since the hood is integrated. Other than that, I liked it.

BrianS:
Did two dives in it this weekend, I really like it. The only annoying part was the zipper comes all the way up to your face since the hood is integrated. Other than that, I liked it.

I have that cheek zipper on my Bare hooded vest. Once you break it in and get used to it you'll probably forget it's there.

What I like is that I can don my hood at the waters edge, zip hood, set mask, don gloves and wade in to do fins. Same on exit,mask off, zip down, flip hood back, relief from the heat. Helps a lot on warm weather entries and exits.

Pete

pgdive:
Hello
Just an fyi the SGS suits are discontinued,

Not that I'm doubting you (you could very well be privy to a fantastic scoop) but I am wondering where you got this information? I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere on the net, BARE still lists the SGS on their site, and many retailers (including DiveTank) still have all the sizes for sale.

I'm wanting to purchase two SGSs (one for my wife and one for myself) but I wanted to wait until a little more funding is available. If they really are discontinued, however, I'll jump in and get one now...

Thanks for any info you have on this!

WadeGuthrie:
Not that I'm doubting you (you could very well be privy to a fantastic scoop) but I am wondering where you got this information? I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere on the net, BARE still lists the SGS on their site, and many retailers (including DiveTank) still have all the sizes for sale.
Nope the SGS line is being discontinued. Call DiveTank and find out what they have in stock.

I just got a Velocity 7/6 (from Larry, and for less than the new Divetank pricing on the same suit) that looks like it'll do the trick. Nice to get a good deal on it, considering I'm just delaying the inevitable (e.g. drysuit).

WadeGuthrie:
Not that I'm doubting you (you could very well be privy to a fantastic scoop) but I am wondering where you got this information?

Good thing I wasn't doubting you -- I checked and, indeed, the SGSs have been discontinued. It would have helped if I'd followed the link in your posting to find out that you're a dive shop.

Thanks for the info!

I have two BARE wetsuits and a dry-suit. I have been very happy with all three (save and except for the exceptionally long time that it took for my custom drysuit to be produced!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom