Bare Nex-Gen Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too was going to buy the Nex-Gen until someone on the message board (thanks) told me to call Canada and buy the BARE ATR from there and save big - and I did!
ScoobieDooo and lal, can you pm me with the contact info of these places in Cananda that you speak of? It seems to me that you both ended up with a pretty sweet deal. Thanks

So did another memebr on his board. The Nex-Gen doesn't have to Auto Torsion Recoil feature, I don't believe, which sure helps donning/doffing the drysuit. I like the Trilam more than just a coated polyester or such type suit. I got my ATR Light for what folks in the USA are paying for the Nex-Gen!

and like it.

Paid under $500 for it WITH the 200wt Polartec underwear and Trek boots - which is all I need here, since water temps only get down into the mid-to-upper 50s, even in the dead of winter.

Used it today, in fact - water temp at depth was 63F, and I was toasty and most importantly - DRY!

I'm happy; it does what I bought it to do, was VERY reasonably priced, and while I'd probably like a DUI better, at more than three times the price for a TLS350 I'll pass.

The intake swivels, the dump works well, neither leak, the inlet is nice and slow (as it should be), the hose has the "wings" on it for easy disconnect in an emergency with gloved hands. I have the Trek boots but will be selling them - I don't use them. I wear 3mil booties over the neoprene socks, which are just fine and allow me to wear a standard XL-size fin (otherwise I'd need turtles, and I HATE Jetfin-style fins - tried it, hated it.)

I have exactly one ***** - the wrist seals can weep a bit if you are fond of extreme ranges of motion, as they're "bottleneck" rather than 'taper" seals. I do occasionally have slight dampness in my undies in the forearms up about an inch or two from the seals after a dive - occasioned by cocking the gun, where extreme "reach and pull" motions are necessary. Of course you could buy a set of DUI seals (or Abyss, or anyone else who uses the "taper" style) and replace them for about $50 were you so inclined - its definitely a "you can do this yourself" type of job. The neck seal does not leak AT ALL on me and is comparatively very comfortable (against other suits I tried on before buying this.)

(BTW, I spearfish in it - not quite "just looking" types of dives by any means. I've had ZERO trouble with it, no noticable wear anywhere on it; its perfectly fine. I can self-don and doff it with a bit of care, even though its a back zip, without putting undue stress on the zipper - although there's little reason to do that since on the boat there's always someone who can zip or unzip 'ya. I DO wear a BP though so I don't need "suspenders" since I have a crotch strap that keeps the suit stable.)

I liked the idea of vulcanized boots with the ATR so I didn't have to mess around with separate boots as when diving wet. Don't have to worry about forgetting my boots on trips, etc. One neat, complete pkg. I personally found the Trilam material to be 'nicer' than the Nex-Gens.

I'd probably prefer a Trilam.

But of course all things aren't equal - not when the entire kit can be had for $500 .vs. more than twice that, or, for a DUI, more than three times that!

Seeing as how cost is major factor I can't a good reason not to buy the Nex Gen. I am not sure there is enough differences to make it worth the extra $1500-2500 on a DUI suit or even $700-1000 an a Bare Trilam.

I paid $785 US for a semi-custom ATR HD. It just shipped out today.WHOO HOO I can't wait to get it.

http://www.dansdiveshop.ca/home.htm

Check out this website. This is where Igot my suit. Scoobie Doo turned me on to them. I dealt with Matt and Dan himself. VERY VERY nice people to work with and I would highly recommend them.

taat2d once bubbled...
http://www.dansdiveshop.ca/home.htm

Check out this website. This is where Igot my suit. Scoobie Doo turned me on to them. I dealt with Matt and Dan himself. VERY VERY nice people to work with and I would highly recommend them.

Yup, I love dealing with those guys. I've bought a bunch of gear from them already, and I think my wife will be doing the same pretty soon. You'll have to report on how the suit works out for you, taat.

Taat2d,
Just ordered my BARE CT200 underwear. For the seasons I'll be diving, I figured that they would be adequate instead of the more costly Weezle's. Ordered from LP. In stock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom