Bare CTT-200 vs. DUI 400g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score

I know the question about dry suit undergarment is one of main subject here. But, I can’t find any direct comparison between Bare CTT-200 Plus and DUI Thinsulate 400g.

Based on my research, there have been very different opinions (toasty or over-rated warmness) about Bare CT-200. Recently, Bare also launched the new “Hi-Loft Polarwear Extreme (not cheap).” Has anyone used this one? Any comments?

Which is the warmer @ 40 degree?

Well, from a little digging, the new high loft is supposed to be around 400weight I think. I use the DUI 400g and it's way warmer then my T-100 that I was using. The 200 is ok, but not even close to a 400.

The part I like about the high loft is the flex panels they've incorporated. Pits, knees, lower back... Great design as long as it fits well.

I dive the Diving Concepts 200 gram Thinsulate suit, which should be almost equal to the Bare CT-200 in warmth. Over the weekend I dove the DUI 400g and it was significantly warmer, but also significantly less flexible, than my DC suit.

400g Thinsulate is warmer than 200g.. but the 200 should be fine as long as you have a good fit, good mobility, and won't be doing really long deco hangs.

I dunno. in 45 deg water, I get cold. I'm not skinny, but I found once I got my diving under control, I do very little to move underwater, and get chilled easy. Even in my 400g I can get chilled after a long dive.

I agree though. It's definitely less flexible, and I needed to put on quite a bit more weight. About 8-10lbs. Not entirely sure as I switched to twins around teh same time so all weighting calcs were getting checked.

Great info. You guys are a real cold water diver, aren’t you?

Jonnythan, what are you wearing under DC 200g at what temp water?
Like I said, 40 F degree is the lowest water temp where I will dive.

If you have to choose between DC 200g and Bare CTT-200plus, do you sill take DC one?

bcsean, I think new Bare high loft looks great, but it is the same price as DUI 400g in the market. Hmm````

I haven't been in the CT-200, but I love my DC 200g suit. It fits me perfectly, and the arms are made of Stretch Thinsulate. The range of motion is ridiculous even though the thing is skin tight.

I did a couple of dives close to an hour in 33 degree water earlier this year and I was perfectly happy. I got a little chilly on the safety stop, but other than that I was fine.

I think you'll be fine with the CT-200 in 40+ degree water.. but I'd suggest you check out the DC suit as well.

bcsean:
The part I like about the high loft is the flex panels they've incorporated. Pits, knees, lower back... Great design as long as it fits well.
That feature is a total POS if the suit floods. There is nothing that would get me to pay for that feature.

jonnythan:
I think you'll be fine with the CT-200 in 40+ degree water.. but I'd suggest you check out the DC suit as well.
Brrrrrr....You would catch me in anything else but 400g until mid-high 50's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom