Barbados - making first dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgirl

Reaction score
Leaving for Barbados Nov. 9th and will be making my first dive after getting certified. Anyone have good advice on dive shops/operators and for a first-timer? I'm very excited and looking forward to something besides murky lake water.
Thanks! :)

I've had good luck with West Side Scuba. They're in Holetown. I spent 4 days diving with them, seemed like a very nice op. I'd definitely dive with them again. Nice group of people, seemed to know what they're doing pretty well. Say hi to Graham, Soren, & G if you go with them...

-Roman.

I will stay away from dive operations....but...as for locations to dive...

be sure to ask and go dive the PAMIR...and you want to do it first thing early in the morning...before it gets all kicked up by other divers...great dive.....

most might recommend the Stav...but being in NC...I didnt think the Stav was that great a deal....considering depth and ndl time

sorry...tired...cant type....

meant to say...stav was not that great a dive.....

I'd have to disagree, Rich. I loved the Stav. It's one of the prettiest wrecks I've ever dove and I had a great dive. We dove the deck at 100ft, which gave us 20min bottom time on air. The deck is probably the best feature of the wreck. There's lots of structure to explore - the cabins, walkways, swimthroughs, stairs, etc. You could do half a dozen dives on her and still not see the whole ship. We had great vis on the dive, no current, and were able to circumnavigate most of the deck in 1 dive (without exploring too much). It was a beautiful dive, and I'd dive it again in a heartbeat.

Granted, my opinion may have been different if I dove it in a strong current like I believe you did (if my memory of your report doesn't fail me). As it was, it turned out to be a great dive.

We didn't get a chance to dive the Pamir. They dove it on the morning that we couldn't make it - per your recommendation I was really looking forward to diving it.

-Roman.

Txgirl,

Congratulation on the trip!! Please post a trip report when you return. I am going to Barbados next April. I would love to hear about your experience there, if you care to share.

Have a wonderful and fun trip!!

Dive safe,

Coquito

Since you are new to the board, you may not know, but I have always found DocVikingo's advice to be 100% reliable and on-target. We are lucky that he takes the time to help us.

Rich Hagelin

DocVikingo, I really appreciate your advice and will be taking it for sure. I am so excited - leave at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow and will be in Barbados by tomorrow at 3. I bought a few last minute things today - fish ID card, defogger, etc. I will try to check out the Pamir. Thank you all so much - I will report back to you when I return.
Again, many thanks to you all!
:)

It never bugs me if someone disagrees.....

One thing does stand out though ..... she indicated this was her first dive AFTER GETTING CERTIFIED.

If this is correct....she has no business near the Stav and a dive op that would take her there is negligent in my book. The PAMIR would be very good for her ...at her level....and it is a good dive even for more experienced divers.

But if this is like dive 5 or 6 for her total.....the Stav is not where she needs to be.
Just my opinion.....and stated in the friendliest of demeanors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom