Barbados - making first dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Rich. We have a group of newbies including my wife heading down to Barbados next month. I would never take her to 100ft this soon in her career. Building confidence is beter than destroying it.
Coach87

I did go with the Dive Shop as Doc suggested. It was fun but would have been better if my friend who was with me could have gone diving as well. We took three dives. My first experience was incredible. I knew from having snorkeled how much there is to see "down there", but I truly had no idea. The water was gorgeous: sea turtles, garden eels, rays, you name it. Beautiful coral of every color. I can't wait to go again. The shop was going to be taking a group to the Stav the next day, but I declined. I decided for myself that that was too advanced a dive for someone with no experience than what she had received the day before! The first dive of the day, once I hopped in the water my BC had a few bubbles coming out of one of the hose connections. I freaked a little but my guide assured me I would be fine. I trusted him, slowed my breathing and did great! The last dive we went down to see some ship wrecks. My arm brushed against one and I got a nasty, itchy rash as a souvenir. No big deal, but I learned that my friend who told me to get a full wet suit told me for a reason. On this trip, I rented everything except the necessities because I wanted to give myself a chance to see what I would like to spend my money on - first on the list, full wet suit! Needless to say, it was a wonderful and surreal experience. Getting certified was one of the best gifts I've given myself.
Oh, and Barbados was nice too! Rather expensive, but lovely. The people made the trip - so generous and hospitable. I would love to go back one of these days. It may not be the best dive destination, but it was a great first trip for me. Thank you all for your advice prior to my going. I felt very confident and that's half the battle for a rookie!

Hi Txgirl,

Thanks for posting a trip report. Sounds like you had a great time. I am glad you enjoyed your dives. Congratulations and welcome back!!

txgirl:
I did go with the Dive Shop as Doc suggested. It was fun but would have been better if my friend who was with me could have gone diving as well. We took three dives. My first experience was incredible. I knew from having snorkeled how much there is to see "down there", but I truly had no idea. The water was gorgeous: sea turtles, garden eels, rays, you name it. Beautiful coral of every color. I can't wait to go again. The shop was going to be taking a group to the Stav the next day, but I declined. I decided for myself that that was too advanced a dive for someone with no experience than what she had received the day before! The first dive of the day, once I hopped in the water my BC had a few bubbles coming out of one of the hose connections. I freaked a little but my guide assured me I would be fine. I trusted him, slowed my breathing and did great! The last dive we went down to see some ship wrecks. My arm brushed against one and I got a nasty, itchy rash as a souvenir. No big deal, but I learned that my friend who told me to get a full wet suit told me for a reason. On this trip, I rented everything except the necessities because I wanted to give myself a chance to see what I would like to spend my money on - first on the list, full wet suit! Needless to say, it was a wonderful and surreal experience. Getting certified was one of the best gifts I've given myself.
Oh, and Barbados was nice too! Rather expensive, but lovely. The people made the trip - so generous and hospitable. I would love to go back one of these days. It may not be the best dive destination, but it was a great first trip for me. Thank you all for your advice prior to my going. I felt very confident and that's half the battle for a rookie!

Thanks, Coquito! Have fun on your trip in April! Rent a car at least for a couple of days, but get a good map before you leave the US. It's fun to take your own driving trip around the island. Go to Harrison's Cave and the wildlife reserve, Bathsheba and the far north point (don't do the Flower Cave, but do have a drink made by the little German lady in the shop there). Have lunch there at the Round House and go to St. Nicholas Abbey and St. Michaels Cathedral - a beautiful view from the top a a hill overlooking the "rugged east coast" (you'll hear this a lot while you're there). I would also recommend a trip to Villa Nova - it's a country estate among the sugar cane fields where Mick Jagger and Elton John have stayed. It's gorgeous. Very expensive, don't get me wrong, but worth a splurge for a drink or a real splurge for an incredible romantic dinner on their veranda. They serve a high tea that is great fun and delicious.

Go at least one Friday or Saturday night to Oistens for the outdoor party. The food there is wonderful and there is one place (can't remember the name at the moment - you'll see the line though) that has the most incredible grilled fish. It's about $11 US dollars for a huge plate of grilled marlin, swordfish, etc. (they have several varieties), grilled potatoes and salad. It was the best and cheapest food we had while there. We took the bus, which from our hotel took us about two hours on a Friday night, but it was worth it to visit with the locals and to get a tour. Now I'm thinking of that fish...ummmmm...

I would also recommend Cool Runnings catamaran lunch cruise. It was fun and they won't take more than 65 people at a time. It takes you from Bridgetown up the west coast of the island. Lunch and drinks are provided, and they drop you to snorkel with the turtles at the marine reserve and also to snorkel off the beach of one of the most exclusive hotels on the island, Sandy Lane (if you're a golfer this golf course is super-exclusive).

We loved eating at the Mews in Holetown, St. James - great food and somewhat reasonable for Barbados. We splurged by going to The Cliff - only if you really love to eat and have some serious money is this worth the trip. The food and service were impeccable, but it was pricey. They have a website and have been rated one of the finest restaurants in the world. Make reservations now if you want to sit by the water. It's lovely at night - lights strung and sparkling off the ocean. If you're lucky, sea turtles will crawl up on the beach for your entertainment.

Well, now I'm wishing for another vacation. They come along too slowly and are over too quickly! Beautiful water, beautiful countryside, beautiful beach and lots of history. HAVE FUN!

txgirl:
Go at least one Friday or Saturday night to Oistens for the outdoor party. The food there is wonderful and there is one place (can't remember the name at the moment - you'll see the line though) that has the most incredible grilled fish. It's about $11 US dollars for a huge plate of grilled marlin, swordfish, etc. (they have several varieties), grilled potatoes and salad.

Hi txgirl....

It's called the " Fishnet Grill" and I agree totally.......great food.....great value.....and well worth the wait in line....... and isn't "Luxies" a cool place?

jbm

Thanks, jbm! I thought it was the Fishnet, but since I wasn't sure I didn't want to say. I thought it was Letties instead of Luxies but either way, much fun. Even did a little dancing there to some 50's and 60's era music - Sinatra, etc. Met a very nice man visiting from his home in NYC, but originally from Barbados. He was there with friends and one of his friends with about three-foot long dreds danced with me! Lots of fun.

txgirl:
I thought it was Letties instead of Luxies but either way, much fun.

Just came to me.........it's "Lexies"........one of my fav spots......I wish they would sell their playlist......great music!

I share your love of Barbados......but.......don't tell too many people!! I do an annual trip there in November during low season and don't want to see it get lousy with tourists!!

Glad you enjoyed your diving. Some healthy reefs with the usual suspects and , of course, the Carlisle Bay wrecks are fun. But......next time......Do dive the "Stav." A great wreck! No need to go terribly deep.......lots to see at shallower depths. The forward spar actually rises to just 18 feet below the surface. Just try to pick a day when there isn't a ripping current!

jbm

Hey txgirl,

Wow. Thaks for the all the information. You too, jbm. After reading your posts, I just can't wait. My best friend is getting married there in April, which is the primarily reason to go (but I am making a vacation/dive trip out of it, :biggrin:

My friend is from there, so I have heard so much about. Don't worry jbm, I won't tell too may people as this may become my secret spot too and do not want to see spoil.

Thanks again for the great info. I'll make sure I check out the cool spots.

JBM, how strong are the currents around the "Stav". I am a beginner diver. I would love to dive the wreck but don't want to take unnecessary risks.

Coquito
txgirl:
Thanks, jbm! I thought it was the Fishnet, but since I wasn't sure I didn't want to say. I thought it was Letties instead of Luxies but either way, much fun. Even did a little dancing there to some 50's and 60's era music - Sinatra, etc. Met a very nice man visiting from his home in NYC, but originally from Barbados. He was there with friends and one of his friends with about three-foot long dreds danced with me! Lots of fun.

coquito:
JBM, how strong are the currents around the "Stav".
Coquito

Hi Coquito.......

I have been extremely fortunate....all my dives on the Stavronikita have been in either very little current or absolutely none at all. That being said, I have been told by many locals that the current can really get quite strong on the wreck. I can easily believe this as I have been on some drift dives on the south coast which have been of the no-kick variety. So , to answer your question, the current is quite variable! Your dive operator, can advise you if it is an appropriate dive on a given day.

I would highly recommend diving the Carlisle Bay wrecks. This is a recently designated marine park with several wrecks in shallow, sheltered water(50 feet max.). All the wrecks can be visited (as well as a little reef area..where one can usually find a seahorse or two) on one dive. Fun stuff!

I usually dive the south coast reefs(Muff and Turtle.....off Sandy Beach) and also recommend.

Turtle reef...... as the name implies , always many hawksbilll turtles to be seen...depth between 30-65 feet. Also a 40 ft former Coast Guard cutter in the sand.

Muff reef......healthy pretty reef. depth between 60-80 ft. All the usual suspects.

http://www.barbados.org/diving/divesite.htm

I know you will enjoy your trip.......have fun!

Txgirl has given you some great information on Barbados.......If you have any questions, don't hesitate to shout.

jbm

We will be at the Bouganvilla Resort Oct. 16 thru 23, 2004. What type of weather should we be expecting during that time and how will it affect the diving? I really want to dive the Stav. I am advanced OW and hubby is OWSI, so we should be OK as far as the depths, but I don't like to dive when the currents are very strong.

I enjoyed reading the above tips and am looking forward to our first trip to Barbados. I am making a list of everything to see and do and all of the dives. YIKES, I think I need at least a month.LOL
Suki
:mermaid:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom