Bangka in July or not anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is also how I took it - the event is quite clearly outlined on Mongabay and the Save Bangka FB site...didnt mean kidnapped a la sipidan. In the entirety of the thread we are both getting our info from roughly the same sources, its a shame that this got to this stage. I guess having rocks thrown at you while your diving then being dragged off to answer questions would be quite an alarming incident for those involved.

The security personnel boarded the divers' boat near the new rock jetty. I believe this is something like 5-7 km away from any resort. They held the divers against their will on the dive boat for a short period and forced them to delete photos, both above and under water, of the immediate area. Likely there were some laws violated, since the divers were foreign nationals, but I have no idea if anyone in any official capacity is calling the event a kidnapping.

Regardless of what officials want to call it, violently taking people and holding them against their will at the company's headquarters certainly qualifies as kidnapping in my book.

Regardless of what officials want to call it, violently taking people and holding them against their will at the company's headquarters certainly qualifies as kidnapping in my book.

Now that's one I haven't heard. I don't know that they were held anywhere other than on their boat. Let's just say that the details on the Monga Bay site don't all jibe with the ones I've gotten personally. So I'll just stop right there.

"Soon it turns out that L’s husband, a US citizen, together with a Dutch and two guests from Sweden and Germany who dived off a chartered boat had been assaulted by security staff of Chinese Mining company PT. Mikgro Metal Perdana, their belongings seized, some stolen and then taken ashore to the company’s headquarters at Ehe village on Bangka.

Only after 1.5 hours detention and their underwater film material ripped out and deleted by a Chinese guy, and after some Bangka villagers interfered, they were finally released around 11.30."

It's possible the above statement refers to their belongings being taken ashore, and not the people themselves. But since it said they were only released once some villagers intervened, I took that to mean they were taken on land. Who knows. Either way, quite unfortunate.

Have a great trip! We are looking forward to your trip report!

10 days and counting for me. 7 days of chilling in the jungle at Mimpi Indah. Cant wait. It will be my 3rd time to Bangka. I'm making sure I've dived it flat before anything tragic happens, but crossing my fingers that my 18 month old will one day also get a chance to dive these beautiful waters.

Couldn't find a translate tab at the top and the "ingriss" tabs at the bottom wouldn't or couldn't take me to the article. Nor did the English newsletter. I used Bing but still left somewhat confused. Regardless, looks like a horrible fracas. :(

The Supreme Court has issued a ruling that revoked the licenses of Regents Minut mines in Bangka Island. UKP4 already requested the cessation of mining operations to avoid conflicts. Unfortunately, all local governments ignored until clashes broke out between residents.
Conditions of Bangka island, northern Minahasa, North Sulawesi gripping. Hundreds of Kahuku Village residents who intend to read the letter administrative court ruling execution suddenly attacked on Saturday (07.12.14). They are intended to convey the decision of execution MA in basecamp mining company, PT. Mikgro Metal Prime (MMP), in the village of Ehe. Clashes between Kahuku Village residents and Village assisted Ehe Brimob, were inevitable.
Maria Taramen, Green Shoots activist who was on the scene said hundreds of villagers initially Kahuku and residents of other regions held a thanksgiving and worship together.The activity was to respond to win the release of the legal process and the execution of a letter of the Administrative Court of Manado.
After lunch, around 13:30, people go to the base camp of MMP, in the village of Ehe.They will read a firm base camp executions.
"Arriving in the village of Ehe, the combined forces intercepted citizens group comprised of police station, Police, Brimob and the TNI. About 10 people, "he said. The delegation residents successfully pass through and move on.
Once inside the gate, the group confronted a set securiti company, which also Ehe villagers.
"The group that blocked the mine repellent citizen security, shocked a stone's throw from the back of one of the residents."
Inevitably clash, extends instantaneously. Stone throwing occurred. Heavy equipment owned by the company burned. The police suspect the perpetrators of Kahuku Village.

Of the group repellent mine fell korban.Mereka withdrew to the village of Kahuku. Three people were injured repellent mine got a medical team handling. Many of the wounded could not be treated.
Around 15:00, officers began to arrest citizens repellent mine one by one without proof.Riots broke out again. Residents tried to release the forces arrested comrades.
"Brimob catch people accused of burning heavy equipment. Throwing action occurs.Residents managed to release the arrested comrades. "
This clash, says Mary, should not occur if the Regents and the Governor of North Sulawesi Minut obey the laws and regulations in this country.
Until 20:00, residents repellent mine in the village of Kahuku still watch. Because, according to rumor, Ehe villagers will attack.
Police presence Minut attempt to smooth things that clash is not widespread. To the residents, police said there would be no attack on the village of Ehe, and urged people to maintain security.
At 22:16, Brimob fired tear gas at the Kahuku Village residents on guard. Tear gas was fired up to 30 times. Worse, she said, tear gas is not directed upwards, but soon led to residents on guard.

According to him, the arrival of Brimob riot triggered subsequent to the village of Kahuku. At that time, they intend to pick up miners who lived in the village. There was no communication to citizens suspected. They attempt to capture the fear Brimob Kahuku Village residents. Residents tried to evict Brimob. Measures citizens responded tear gas."Brimob not communicate. Earlier, Adj intel to be well received and taken home, as well to establish communication with the citizens. Unlike the Brimob, "said Maria.
Until this news was revealed, none of the police officers could be questioned.Mongabay try contacting North Sulawesi Police spokesman but no answers.
Longgena Ginting, head of Greenpeace in Indonesia, said the clashes fruit lawless government and MMP Minut and North Sulawesi, over the legal decisions that have permanent legal force.
"If this trend continues, the conflict will spread horizontally. With this omission occurs officials also violated the law, "he said.
To that end, both the central government, the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, and the Ministry of Environment, and Police Headquarters should immediately intervene to stop this conflict. According to him, the case can no longer be submitted to the area. " Gak can guess. Authority of the central government trampled on, butwhy dwell aja ya? "
Rejection residents against the mining company from the outset. From protests, to file a lawsuit to the Administrative Court and won people to the Supreme Court.
In the decision in the Supreme Court in September 2013, North Minahasa Regents requested to immediately revoke permission to MMP. Unfortunately, the Supreme Court considered wind. Komnas HAM also down and stated there are indications of human rights violations there. However, mining operations continue to run.
Kaka Slank, also made ​​a petition on change.org, voicing local governments to revoke the mining permit for the safety of citizens and the environment . fact, environmental organizations and masyarakata sipilmembentuk Bangka Island Rescue Coalition.

Supreme Court decision has not been ignored, even this case was brought to the center. They reported to the various agencies and ministries termasukke Police Headquarters. There are no results as well. Then, the Presidential Working Unit for Development Monitoring and Control (UKP4). They go down to the island of Bangka.Also conduct meetings across ministries and agencies, and even invited the Governor Sukut MMP in Jakarta.
UKP4 also wrote to local governments to immediately suspend mining operations in orderto avoid ongoing conflict . Not only that, the permits that must be met in order to operate the company is also yet to be fulfilled.
The Company is not a licensed use of the forest area of ​​the Ministry of Forestry, there is no zoning in North Sulawesi sea areas as revealed from the Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries. The company also does not have a Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA). Only, permission to build the dock of the Ministry of Transportation that they have.

In mid-June 2014, Manado PTUM judge issued a warrant in order to execute the decision immediately Regents Minut MA . Unfortunately, again all ignored. Kala merekahendak read the Supreme Court decision, the clash occurred. Falling victim.

Back
Top Bottom