Bangka in July or not anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just been in Lembeh and Bunaken for a couple of weeks, and it's really interesting to see the difference in attitude.

In Lembeh, when I asked about it, nobody actually seemed to know what I was talking about. I actually had to explain to the dive manager what was going on. So clearly they don't seem to think it will affect them much in Lembeh. Which may well be true given the existing diving conditions there?

In Bunaken (or at my resort on the mainland), they knew what was going on, and were keeping a close eye on the proceedings. Although speaking to the resort manager, they didn't seem to think it was going to have a huge affect on the diving conditions at Bunaken. They obviously were more concerned about how it was going to affect the dive operations up around Bangka though, as they run the occasional trip up there.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Did you get the impression that they were willing to dive Bangka? I'm heading that way in a week, and the second half of my trip will be at Cocotino's Manado. I was hoping to get them to take a day trip up there.

I have just been in Lembeh and Bunaken for a couple of weeks, and it's really interesting to see the difference in attitude.

In Lembeh, when I asked about it, nobody actually seemed to know what I was talking about. I actually had to explain to the dive manager what was going on. So clearly they don't seem to think it will affect them much in Lembeh. Which may well be true given the existing diving conditions there?

In Bunaken (or at my resort on the mainland), they knew what was going on, and were keeping a close eye on the proceedings. Although speaking to the resort manager, they didn't seem to think it was going to have a huge affect on the diving conditions at Bunaken. They obviously were more concerned about how it was going to affect the dive operations up around Bangka though, as they run the occasional trip up there.

Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I may be wrong but I think Angelique Batuna and family own ops on bunaken still..I have some memory of Cotinos being linked to Angeliques brother at some stage though this info may be outdated and possibly wrong (When I dive im generally not listening too hard to dive shop gossip). Angelique Batuna has Murex at Bangka where the divers were kidnapped from and AFAIK is still leading the North Sulawesi water sports association who are most vocal at a political level re Bangka. This may be why. Anyone on the ground in Bangka who can confirm if this is still the situation?

Did you get the impression that they were willing to dive Bangka? I'm heading that way in a week, and the second half of my trip will be at Cocotino's Manado. I was hoping to get them to take a day trip up there.

At the moment, yes - if they had enough people willing to pay the extra to make the trip to Bangka for the day. We were told it was a 3-3.5 hour boat ride each way, and they rarely got enough people (min. 6 pax) willing to do it. I'm sure if you could get a large enough group willing to pay the additional cost to go up there then they'll do it.

At the moment, yes - if they had enough people willing to pay the extra to make the trip to Bangka for the day. We were told it was a 3-3.5 hour boat ride each way, and they rarely got enough people (min. 6 pax) willing to do it. I'm sure if you could get a large enough group willing to pay the additional cost to go up there then they'll do it.

Yeesh, yeah, that would be a bit rough. The Odyssea Divers (Cocotino's) website says it's two hours, so hopefully that means their boat is faster or that they're closer than where you were staying.

BANGKA UPDATE

The following is a quote I just received from the same person who has forwarded other info I've posted:

"Officially the mine should not be operating / exploring anymore, as ordered by the central government but they clearly are still active. A new barge with heavy equipment landed on the island last Saturday and barges with sand have been going back and forth.

It shows again how weak the government in Indonesia is acting. Most if this is also mentioned on the SaveBangka FB page but all in Indonesian."

---------- Post added June 24th, 2014 at 07:39 PM ----------

.... Murex at Bangka where the divers were kidnapped from ...

This is incorrect. No divers were kidnapped from any resort or anyplace else in the area. No resort was landed upon by mine security personnel. The incident you cite involved a dive boat near the mining operation. Please don't post inaccurate information which could further hinder operations of the resorts there.

BANGKA UPDATE

The following is a quote I just received from the same person who has forwarded other info I've posted:

"Officially the mine should not be operating / exploring anymore, as ordered by the central government but they clearly are still active. A new barge with heavy equipment landed on the island last Saturday and barges with sand have been going back and forth.

It shows again how weak the government in Indonesia is acting. Most if this is also mentioned on the SaveBangka FB page but all in Indonesian."

---------- Post added June 24th, 2014 at 07:39 PM ----------

This is incorrect. No divers were kidnapped from any resort or anyplace else in the area. No resort was landed upon by security personnel. The incident involved a dive boat near the mining operation. Please don't post inaccurate information which could further hinder operations of the resorts there.

I took it to mean they were kidnapped from their dive boat. But, I can see how the Wingy's wording could easily be misinterpreted if someone didn't read the rest of the thread.

I took it to mean they were kidnapped from their dive boat. But, I can see how the Wingy's wording could easily be misinterpreted if someone didn't read the rest of the thread.

The security personnel boarded the divers' boat near the new rock jetty. I believe this is something like 5-7 km away from any resort. They held the divers against their will on the dive boat for a short period and forced them to delete photos, both above and under water, of the immediate area. Likely there were some laws violated, since the divers were foreign nationals, but I have no idea if anyone in any official capacity is calling the event a kidnapping.

Back
Top Bottom