Band/Manifold compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using them for singles, but honestly I've not been real happy with the quality of the Thermo valves, so I decided to just leave them on my singles - gotta say that modular valves make it REAL easy to carry tanks too :wink: Only difference is I have to remember which side to reach for when doing a valve drill - lol

I also had 2 tanks with Yoke valves still that needed replacing ...Eventually I'll have modular valves on all my singles, so I will have the option of doubling up any I want later on

Aloha, Tim

They take more turns to open, and about half of them seem to get very stiff and hard to open after about 6 months of use. I rebuilt a couple that were doing that and while it helped, they are still much stiffer than they should be. So I'm happier with the Halcyon valves that I have.

Semi-Good news :wink: USPS delivered a box today (couldn't believe it when they drove up the driveway on a Sunday afternoon ... Christmas Eve no less) In it was my new DR manifold (And a new pair of XXL Jetfins!!! :D). While it is smaller than the Halcyon (The DiveRite can go as small as 8 3/8" vs the 8 5/8" of the Halycon) It is still about 1/8" too large for my 6.9" tanks. I did assemble the whole thing and I'm guessing I could get by with it, but I'm not real confident in the fit.

Sooo - before I disassemble my AL80s and go through all the work of swapping tanks and bands ... does anyone want to take a guess if a pair of LP72's (6.9") tanks would be narrower or wider (valve center to center) than a pair of AL 80's (7.25") with the same bands?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Sooo - before I disassemble my AL80s and go through all the work of swapping tanks and bands ... does anyone want to take a guess if a pair of LP72's (6.9") tanks would be narrower or wider (valve center to center) than a pair of AL 80's (7.25") with the same bands?

Aloha, Tim

I don't think you an predict that without more info. The larger diameter tanks (7.25 vs 6.9) means the center sections of the bands (the part the bolt goes through) wil contact the tanks further out on the circle. That moves the inside edges of the tanks closer together. OTOH, the AL80's start are larger diameter, so the center to center distance is greater due to the greater diameter alone.

Sorry, to be of so little help. Maybe you can try sliding the new bands up over the bottom of your current doubles, that might yeild a clue.

Good Luck,

Tobin

The correct spacing for LP steel 72 tanks of approx 6.9 (since they were variously somewhat less than that by a skosh) is 8 and 3/16 inches (approximate). I know this because I just measured for you about a half dozen vintage manifolds and a few relatively new fixed doubles manifolds (both solid and modular types) from Sherwood, Voit, USD and Nemrod. However, you can have custom bands made with a wider cross plate to accomadate modern isolating manifolds that will not close down that far. On ebay, there is a fellow named Vic from Canada and he sells bands on ebay and has a ebay store and will also custom make high quality bands at a excellent price. Therefore anything is possible. My doubles are set for the 8 and 3/16 spacing.

DSCF0200.jpg

N

Thanks Tobin - looks like I'll just have to tear apart both sets and see what happens when I swap everything around :)

At least working on dive gear is fun :D

Nemrod - I've actually got a set of bands from Vic and I'm very pleased with them - the current ones I'm dealing with are just a cheap set I figured I'd put to use (hate passing up a good deal) btw - cool manifolds in that pic...

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom