Band/Manifold compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
evad, Thermo must make more manifolds than that, because the 72s I bought from rjack are doubled with a Thermo manifold, and they are NOT 8" tanks.

Those specs came from Rg manufacturing. They don't neccessarily indicate that the Thermos won't work with smaller diameter tanks, just that they will work with larger tanks. I just posted that for the manifold measurement and because Kidspot should already have reams of pages about this on his website. He must be getting lazy or maybe he just found out about stamps.

The center to center distance on a manifold has to be at least as long as the diameter of the tanks. The old 185 mm (7.28) manifolds work OK on 7" tanks, leaving just enough room for a 1/4 inch bolt between the tanks. Clearly these won't work on larger tanks. Evad is quite right about wider manifolds working on smaller tanks, if you have the right bands.

I'm using a 215 mm Thermo manifold on a set of 5.5" diameter faber steel 46's that I've doubled up for my daughter. I just set the fixture at 215mm when I made the bands.

The "face seal" manifolds need to be matched closely with a set of tanks and bands as the manifolds are not adjustable for spacing.

The newer "barrel" style manifolds have adjusable center sections. I prefer these for just this reason. Tanks are not round, and often are not exactly on size. This effects the center to center distance. Having an adjustable manifold allows a closer fit between the two.

All my tanks have thermo manifolds. They are nominally 215 mm center to center. There is some range of adjustment above and below this figure. I've standardized on Thermo because spares are easy to source (thanks Joel, TDL) and to keep the required spares to a minimum. I have no reason to think the Sea Elite, DR, H are any better or worse.

Tobin

kidspot:
I also have a new DiveRite manifold on it's way... any chance it will be "smaller" than the Halcyon?

Did you order the DR one or the Thermo one? According to RG machine's chart, the DR and SeaElite ar the same size and the Thermo is larger. I was just kidding about the stamps.

I ordered a DR from Mar-vel, but I don't know if it's the newer or older DR manifold. I have a Halcyon Manifold and 2 modular valves for a Thermo manifold (just need the isolator) but it sounds like the Thermo is even wider than the H or DR so that won't work.

These are factory specifications for the Thermo and Dive Rite manifolds. Thermo manifolds fully engaged are 215mm (8.46 inches) and are not to be opened up any more than 218mm (8.58 inches) A very narrow adjustable range. The Dive Rite fully engaged is 212.72mm (8.37 inches) and is not to be opened more than 219.07mm (8.62 inches) This information I received from Thermo Valves and Dive Rite. Always keep in mind that it is only the tank bands themselves that determine the center dimension of two cylinders. When two cylinders are drawn together in bands and fully tightened, whatever their center dimension you have at this point must fall into the adjustable range of your manifold for a stress free fit.
Regards Vic

So you'd think that TDL would be selling bands compatable with the Thermo manifolds they sell. They shouldn't be too small for a smaller manifold. Call TDL and ask them.

I figured that was where I was heading, but wanted to make sure I wasn't making some kind of beginners mistake in assembly first ...

Anyone want to buy a set of 7.25" bands? :wink: Fit's an unknown manifold...

Back
Top Bottom