Band/Manifold compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btw I measured my "H" manifold and it is 8 5/8" center to center when tightened ... even larger than a Thermo it seems :(

Okay, I'm totally confused.

I have two sets of old steel 72s doubled up, but I didn't assemble either. They both have Thermo manifolds. The tanks are not 8" diameter.

From what's been written about the Thermo manifold, it sounds as though the bands had to be constructed with a round portion of the correct diameter to encircle the tanks tightly, but a flat center portion wide enough to put the stems of the tanks far enough apart to use the manifold. Am I thinking this through properly?

TSandM:

I have two sets of old steel 72s doubled up, but I didn't assemble either. They both have Thermo manifolds. The tanks are not 8" diameter.

From what's been written about the Thermo manifold, it sounds as though the bands had to be constructed with a round portion of the correct diameter to encircle the tanks tightly, but a flat center portion wide enough to put the stems of the tanks far enough apart to use the manifold. Am I thinking this through properly?

Yes, so a Thermo can be used with 8" tanks or smaller. The bands adapt to the manifold.

TSandM:

If the bands are too big, for example bands for Al80, (7.25 dia) and are used on 7" tanks (LP85 etc) the tanks will end up too far apart. That's because the straight "spacer" sections in the center of the bands will be drawn too close together.

If the bands were originally designed to have the straight spacer sections well apart the impact is large. If the bands were designed to have the center sections fairly close together the impact is less (cosine effect).

Remember that the lenght of the bands is a essenially around the circumference of the tanks. Any change in tank diameter is multiplied by pi when applied to the actual lenght of the bands.

Small changes in tank diameter, even a heavy coat of paint, or lining the bands with a layer of duct tape has the potential to change the center to center assembled distance substantially.

Tobin

Lynne -

When I ordered my bands for my 72's from Victor (Detroit Mudpuppy) I gave him my tank specs and manifold specs - then he made (or had one premade) for that combination - btw he makes the sturdiest bands I've seen yet -

TSandM:

I'd thought that the Dive Rite and Halcyon manifolds were OEMed by the same company. This may have changed, however.

I have two sets of doubles; one with an OMS adjustable manifold, and another with a newer Dive Rite manifold. The dive rite manifold is noticeably smaller than both my OMS manifold and older-model DR manifolds that I've seen, so you might have better luck with it.

OMS tank bands rock, BTW. I've set up a number of sets with them, and have had zero tank spacing issues. Plus they're rock solid and take far less time to install than cheaper brands.

I sent an email to TDL and was told that the bands do work with Thermo, DR and Halcyon. I'm guessing my Halcyon manifold is just an "odd" one that is larger than most. So I'm just waiting for a package with the DR manifold (which I thought would be the same size when I emailed TDL ... oops) to come in from NJ ... unfortunately it's been 2 weeks, so that probably means USPS stuck it in the "slow boat" bin and it can take up to 16 weeks to make it's way out here :( Seems like they do that to about 30% of my boxes :(

kidspot:
I sent an email to TDL and was told that the bands do work with Thermo, DR and Halcyon. I'm guessing my Halcyon manifold is just an "odd" one that is larger than most. So I'm just waiting for a package with the DR manifold (which I thought would be the same size when I emailed TDL ... oops) to come in from NJ ... unfortunately it's been 2 weeks, so that probably means USPS stuck it in the "slow boat" bin and it can take up to 16 weeks to make it's way out here :( Seems like they do that to about 30% of my boxes :(

Why didn't you just buy a Thermo isolator, or are you using the valves for singles?

Back
Top Bottom