Band/Manifold compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple months ago I purchased a set of 7.25" bands hoping to double up my AL80's and Halcyon Manifold. I soon found out that the bands pulled the tanks too close to each other for the manifold to fit (about 1/4 - 1/2" too close)

Figuring I'd simply gotten an incompatible set of bands (no specs when I ordered) I decided to get a set from TDL, whose equipment I've been quite happy with, ordering their 7.25" bands http://www.techdivinglimited.com/ which state that they are compatible with all Manifolds. They arrived and I realized they are exactly the same size as my earlier set. So before I call them to return/exchange them I wanted to ask...

Is there something I'm doing wrong???

I've only doubled up cylinders using bands for 6.9" tanks before, so this is my second set - the 6.9" bands work perfectly with my 72's and AL80's both.

btw - I also have a new DiveRite manifold on it's way... any chance it will be "smaller" than the Halcyon?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
A couple months ago I purchased a set of 7.25" bands hoping to double up my AL80's and Halcyon Manifold. I soon found out that the bands pulled the tanks too close to each other for the manifold to fit (about 1/4 - 1/2" too close)

Figuring I'd simply gotten an incompatible set of bands (no specs when I ordered) I decided to get a set from TDL, whose equipment I've been quite happy with, ordering their 7.25" bands http://www.techdivinglimited.com/ which state that they are compatible with all Manifolds. They arrived and I realized they are exactly the same size as my earlier set. So before I call them to return/exchange them I wanted to ask...

Is there something I'm doing wrong???

I've only doubled up cylinders using bands for 6.9" tanks before, so this is my second set - the 6.9" bands work perfectly with my 72's and AL80's both.

btw - I also have a new DiveRite manifold on it's way... any chance it will be "smaller" than the Halcyon?

Aloha, Tim

Tim,

I'm not sure I follow exactly what bands and manifolds you are trying to use, but the manifolds I'm familar with are 185mm (7.28"), 207mm (8.15") and 215mm (8.46")

Sounds to me like you have bands for 215's and a 207 manifold.

Good luck,

Tobin

Thanks Tobin - How do you measure them? My Halcyon manifold is currently installed and the tanks are pressurized, so I can't dissasemble them if that's required to find out :wink:

kidspot:
Thanks Tobin - How do you measure them? My Halcyon manifold is currently installed and the tanks are pressurized, so I can't dissasemble them if that's required to find out :wink:

I'd use a calibrated steel rule and the Mark I eyeball, in other words a measuring tape. The difference is large, ~.315"

Tobin

This might help.

Common Manifold Sizes

8.13" Sherwood
8.23" US Divers
8.32" to 8.44" Scuba Pro, Dive Rite, and Sea Elite
8.3" to 8.7" French made Genisis
8.56" to 8.75" Thermo
8.5" OMS

Common Double Band Sizes

7.3 dia. x 8.33 spacing, will fit aluminum 80's and hp steels with Genisis, Scuba Pro, Dive Rite manifolds
6.9 dia. x 8.33 spacing, will fit steel 72's and al. 50's with Genisis, Scuba Pro, Dive Rite manifolds
8.0 dia. x 8.7 spacing, will fit 8 inch tanks and allow the use of self draining tank boots with a Genisis or Thermo manifold

cool_hardware52:
I'd use a calibrated steel rule and the Mark I eyeball, in other words a measuring tape. The difference is large, ~.315"

Tobin

lol - I should have worded that differently ... between which points on the manifold do you measure? I assume between the center of each valve?

kidspot:
lol - I should have worded that differently ... between which points on the manifold do you measure? I assume between the center of each valve?

Any point that approximates the center of the tank threads should be fine.

Tobin

I recently did the same - doubled up my Al80s w/a Sea-Elite manifold and 7.25 Highland bands. Sea-Elite makes the H manifold so the same set up. They went together fine - there is a 3/16 gap between the locking nut and thread end on the isolater and they are 8.5" center to center with the valves.

evad, Thermo must make more manifolds than that, because the 72s I bought from rjack are doubled with a Thermo manifold, and they are NOT 8" tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom