Ban powerheads in the US EEZ?

Ban Powerheads for spearfishing in the US EEZ?

• YES - Ban them except for personal protection

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • NO - they're a fair way to take fish when "spearfishing"

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tampascott once bubbled...
... make up your mind as to whether or not you want more or less government.

Easy choice for me ... unless it is a no brainer, and on this subject it is definately not, LESS!!

subdude

Possession of a fish harvested by explosive devices is illegal according to Fla code.This does not stop anyone from using them tho.I t is as mention the most efficient way to spear fish ,but less sporting ( I could always argue that anything other than a stick or rock is unsporting)The real problems are as mentioned the individual not the gear.I catch far more fish on hook+line than any spearfisherman could ever hope for and there are many more fishermen than divers ,commercial and recreational.The actual impact is probly very lo compared to a partyboat with 60-80 anglers .Real science(not emotive or politically motivated directed studies) have shown time again that size/time/quantity limits are an enforcible and effective way to manage wildlife populations.BTW what moe effect would banning the commercial take of fish species would have ? Similar to the banning of wild game sales?Record populations and multi-billion dollar industries?

I've never used a powerhead nor do I plan to. However I've always been concerned about the number of fish that tear off a spear after being shot. A hunter on land can track a wounded animal, but this often doesn't work well in the water. I realize a fish like a grouper will hole up nearby, but in other areas of the country they just swim off in the low vis never to be seen again. It might be worthwhile to compare the number of fish wounded and lost when talking about banning powerheads. From what I understand they nearly eliminate this problem.

Ralph

Get real Genesis! Next time you go fishng for grouper, leave your High Speed Penn Senator 6/0 home, (or your internationals) and take your Zebco 303. :dork:

I don't use my Internationals for grouper.

Why?

Its not sporting.

What do I use? A 4/0. Why? Because part of the thrill for me of fishing is the fight; if the fish has no chance then I may as well go to the supermarket. Its a heck of a lot cheaper than taking the boat out too.

Why do I catch dolphin on 14 or 20lb test? Same reason. I could easily lower down a "meat hook" into the school when they were turned on, and they'd bite it.

Its a heck of a lot more fun to fish for them with light tackle though.

I vote to never let the government regulate diving in any way! It sounds like "powerheading" is going to self regulate.

Ralph ,only someone who actually has done some serious thinking and soul-searching would come to your conclusion.Thanx for making that point.I often pass up a larger breeding size fish for that reason and the relative reproductive mass they have.I see speared fish lingering on the party grounds here in addition to many fish lost off hook+line.If we start catching thro-back anything on a spot to often I move .I regard my sports as a spiritual bond between me and my Creator.To waste resources is what's truly unsportsmanlike.Take what you need and leave the rest........:anon:

Palau uses a great technique for fishing and the powerhead proponants might like this, as it provides the same efficaince and results.

DYNAMITE

AquaTec once bubbled...
Palau uses a great technique for fishing and the powerhead proponants might like this, as it provides the same efficaince and results.

DYNAMITE
Interesting - here we have the most efficient and effective method of harvesting a single fish called the same as the least.. care to unpack how you evolved that thought a little?
Rick

I been spearfishing since I was a kid. I used to have a powerhead and I never used it once! Like everyone has said, it is illegal to use in Florida waters and is considered a firearm so it is technically controlled by the ATF--the government has already stepped in.

I used to believe it would protect me from sharks. Now I know that I, a) don't need that kind of protection--they don't usually bother you and b) If they bother you, you're not going to get to use the powerhead in time to make a difference.

So now I just rob convience stores with it.

Was that 5 or 6 shots I fired--are you feeling lucky?

Larry Stein

Back
Top Bottom