Ban powerheads in the US EEZ?

Ban Powerheads for spearfishing in the US EEZ?

• YES - Ban them except for personal protection

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • NO - they're a fair way to take fish when "spearfishing"

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
What 'ya think spearfishers and divers in general?

Except for personal protection, of course.

That is, a fish in your boat that you powerhead is a federal law violation and you go to the pokey.

They're already illegal in some state waters (including Florida), but not in federal waters.

Would you support a fax petition to Congress urging a change to the NMFS regulations banning them in the US EEZ for taking of fish? Would you sign such a thing?

Let's hear from both "sightseeing" divers and spearfishermen....

(I spearfish and support banning the powerhead for all uses except personal protection, just so you know where I stand on this)

Maybe you can help out those of us who have no idea what a powerhead is.

Some info?

Powerheads are spear shafts tipped with a type of .38 caliber spring gun, designed to fire on impact with a fish and kill it instantly. Users of powerheads say it kills fish quickly, humanely and without a struggle that damages the catch and wears out the hunter.

Proponents complain that powerheading is far too efficient a way to kill fish, and is responsible for wiping out populations in some areas highly prized by anglers.

Full article

http://www.oceansports.com/HomePage.cfm?ID=907&Type=Scuba

http://www.hurricane.net/~rcontrera/ph357.htm

is that they permit effective "reef raiding", where the entire population of a reef is wiped out quickly.

The powerhead blows the brains out of the fish when it hits it, meaning there is no fight to be had and you just string it and go to the next. It allows a spearfisherman to take fish after fish after fish with no fight at all.

If you're spearing with a spear tip, then unless you have EXCELLENT shot placement you have somewhat of a problem once the fish is speared - its still alive, just like they are on hook and line, and it takes some effort and time to subdue and string the fish. This naturally limits your take, since you can't reload the gun until you can get your spear back :)

Powerheads and rebreathers are both prohibited in Florida State waters due to their efficiency (a rebreather permits outrageous bottom times and thus even more effective hunting). Together they would be murder underwater and rather unsporting, in many people's opinions (including mine)

I was just wondering in what instances you would need a powerhead for self-defence. I mean, I can understand if you're shark diving or something, but to just go out in the ocean to string a few fish??? Do you honestly need this for protection???

So, until I get the info, I must defer my vote to a later time.

BTW, I'm just getting into some underwater hunting myself, and am relatively new to it all, but believe that it is a good fishery as when I want a fish, that is the fish I get: no more, no less, no bycatch.

P.S.: What does EEZ stand for?

I don't think they are a "fair" or even a smart way to harvest fish. Too much wasted meat. On the other hand, I don't think the government has any business in the arena.
Rick

Radagalf - "EEZ" is the US Exclusive Economic Zone - basically up to 200 miles offshore any US land mass (with some exceptions, like where there's another country in that range :))

The use of a powerhead for protection is controversial, but there are those who argue that it can be necessary. Say you have a couple of grouper strung and are being molested by a shark that won't leave you alone. If you "feed" him (give him the fish) he has now learned that he can get food from a diver. The next diver that doesn't have any food might get bit. If you refuse, he may take what he wants, and in the frenzy bite you anyway. There are conceivably situations where you might NEED to kill him.

The other side of this is that if you powerhead the shark there is no guarantee you will kill him (especially if its a large shark), and you've just dumped a LOT of blood and guts in the water, which is not all that good if there is more than one shark around!

Banning them for harvesting doesn't mean banning them for protection purposes. You just can't possess a fish that is banged; if you have to bang the shark, you can't keep him.

I personally spear, do not use a powerhead, and don't have one on me - even for protection. Never felt the need for it yet. I feel they are fair for protection purposes, but not for harvesting fish.

Like Canada right?? (Referring to EEZ), tis a shame, as our DFO is full of useless t%$ts... and there are times where I wish we had the U.S.'s EEZ come to ours... (I knew about the 200 mile from any country... just not an official name...).

I would be like you, spearfishing only, no powerheads, I dont' see any use for them up here where I dive. Maybe down in your area, but I would have to experience it first before I could truly come up with a good opinion of my own. Up here, I best watch out for that octo... he might come get me... he he.

Powerheads do seem rather like overkill, don't they? Certainly they defy the idea of "sport fishing" and maybe that's the way to deal with them - call them commercial devices and restrict their use to places and times that can withstand the pressure.

I also have a hard time with the argument that guns are justifiable for spearos to carry on self-defense grounds. The risk of having a better predator take your lunch away from you should be a part of the sport of spearing.

On land, bow hunting rocks - skill and determination are required, the essence of sport. Real sport hunters don't use guns. The same rules apply underwater.

Excuse me whilst I go find a rock to hide behind...I think I just heard a hammer pull.

Steven

A self regulating industry? Yet there are those who can't wait to get the government involved in just this area. Don't forget there are lots of "just this areas" around. Follow this path and soon we'll be facing the fight that's going on in Israel. Keep big brother out of diving!

Powerheads are not an efficient method of harvesting fish. Shoot one fish with a powerhead and all the fish in the area are gone. It works pretty well for the first fish, if you only want one and don't mind wasting meat you might consider its use. Of course, working pretty well for the first fish assumes you actually hit the fish. One thing you need to do to gather lots of fish is to be quiet. You can't do that with a powerhead. Fish learn to hear and react to the sound of a speargun's trigger.

There's no need to ban powerheads. Hunters are not using them, even if they were, their inefficiency would solve the problem.

I own a powerhead, I've had it for many, many years. I've never used it. I've had it with me when spearfishing and had a shark (5' reef) come directly at me to within 3 ft. I never considered using it.

BTW, powerheads are not "spear shafts tipped with a type of .38 caliber spring gun." They come in many different calibers and can be used as a spear point when you shoot your gun or as a bang stick. Using it as a bang stick is the only intelligent method. Impact of the powerhead against a surface forces the shell into the firing pin. The bullet does damage, but the expanding gases from the rapidly burning gunpowder is released into the wound and is what kills quickly.

I don't want the government involved in diving at any level.

Back
Top Bottom