Balmorhea- March 14-18th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As always the weather in the Big Bend is a roll of the dice. I think Spring Time in the Big Bend is really pretty but Spring Break is crazy with people anywhere except Mississippi.
I'd pack some Heat but hey that is just me. I even brought my Machine gun back in the 1980's when I used to go there. Two reasons.. Reason #1 and #2 and you know what they are.

No reason not the head on out though armed or not !! I bet it will be cool !

Timeliner:
I'd pack some Heat but hey that is just me. I even brought my Machine gun back in the 1980's when I used to go there. Two reasons.. Reason #1 and #2 and you know what they are.

I wouldn't dream of going without it! :blinking:

We are going to Aquarena and to the Comal on those exact dates. Anyone who wants to join us on some dives, let me know! We'll be camping at Landa RV Park.

NOT intended as a hijack! I wish we had more time, and could do it all. Yall have a great time out in West Texas!

Hehe is Hijack of a thread encouraged here...?

I think you can count on 70+F water at San Soloman Springs. great hot showers right not too far from the natural bottom pool, and good pics of ducks diving on the tetras. Forecast high for tomorrow is 75, could be warmer that weekend.

Timeliner:
Donna I believe that is Spring Break Week.
I did that same trip your talking about a few years ago and the Big Bend was packed with people. Bumper to bumper cars :shakehead I couldn't believe it.
The great thing about Big Bend is that even at its bussiest it is so damn big that it is very easy to get away from people. The 3 developed campsites or whatever they call them will be totally full, but there is plenty of backcountry camping to go around. I spent last Spring Break there with my girlfriend and we were alone almost the entire time. The trick is to drive to one of the backcountry campsites or just pick a spot far enough from the road to be legal and camp there.

We stopped at Balmorhea on our way back. I was a bit underwelmed with it but it was fun.

I will unfortuantely be up in the pacific northwest during spring break. I would be interested in going if it was another weekend.

~Jess

hey Jess, you plannin' on doin' any diving while you're up there? I froze my butt off last time I was up in PNW and tried divin' wet up there, it was fun but was to damn cold to stay in long, I will for sure do a dry suit course before I return again to dive there.

But Travis should be clearin' up again by March, so I will stay here in Central Texas to get my spring diving done. But a run down to San Marcos area to dive could be doable.

After so many admonitions, I'm thinking that Balmorhea and Big Bend won't be such a good idea during Spring Break.

I am booked for the Flower Gardens instead. Of course, if the trip gets cancelled due to bad weather, I may be looking to dive CSSP or Travis.

NadMat:
hey Jess, you plannin' on doin' any diving while you're up there?
Hell no :) I am contemplating trying it when I am be up there again this summer, but there is no way I am doing it before then. If I had a drysuit I would jump at the chance, but it will be atleast next winter before I can afford to get one.

But a run down to San Marcos area to dive could be doable.
A run down to San Marcos area should be doable sooner than that. I just need to get my damn car fixed. Know anything about voltage regulators?

~Jess

They regulate the voltage - if they are working properly. :)

Willie

And if they aren't working correctly, they don't regulate the voltage.

You could have uncontrolled voltage running around right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom