Balmorhea Jan 28th.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That works great. Scuba Training Center has a handfull of instructors. It's changed owners since you've taken classes though. You might remember Chuck Hassell, He's been instructing for Scuba Training Center for about as long as you've been diving. I'm actually going to be working with him at Balmorhea that weekend. Gotta head out the door now though. I'll get in touch with you later this week.

I don't have a computer at home, (I use it at work) and am not sure I will have access the rest of the week. I was gonna go ahead and give my info. just in case.
We always set up down beside the high diving board. I'm the heavy set long blonde haired girl. I will probably have on a gray and bright yellow wetsuit, and will deffinately be wearing my bright yellow twin jets. We usually get there about 12:00 noon and don't actually start diving till 1:30 or so. That would be a good time to meet up if your gonna be there then. I will have to help the OW students set up gear and get the basics done but maybe we can set a plan for a dive later on that day depending on your schedule. If we are both working, we may not have that much time. I'll TRY to get back and check PM's later on.

Anyone else that's gonna be there, feel free to look me up anytime. I love to meet and dive with Scubaboard members! Oh...my vehicle is the Santa Fe with the scubaboard sticker on back. ;0) Here's my cell #: 806-729-7454

Jo

amascuba:
That works great. Scuba Training Center has a handfull of instructors. It's changed owners since you've taken classes though. You might remember Chuck Hassell, He's been instructing for Scuba Training Center for about as long as you've been diving. I'm actually going to be working with him at Balmorhea that weekend. Gotta head out the door now though. I'll get in touch with you later this week.

Nope. Never heard of them. It's unlikely that they are still there, but my OW instructor was Steve Strickland and AOW was Manual Something. Heard of them?

Too cold for me. I grew up in Des Moines and lived in Iowa till I was 22. I try and avoid going up there during the winter. We were in Iowa City in September though.

texdiveguy:
Spirit Lake right there at Okoboji Lake!!! Plus the Winter Fest will be going on....a BONUS!!! Brrrrrrrrr :)

scubajoh44:
We usually get there about 12:00 noon and don't actually start diving till 1:30 or so.
Is that 12:00 noon on Saturday? Just curious.

Willie

scubajoh44:
I don't have a computer at home, (I use it at work) and am not sure I will have access the rest of the week. I was gonna go ahead and give my info. just in case.
We always set up down beside the high diving board. I'm the heavy set long blonde haired girl. I will probably have on a gray and bright yellow wetsuit, and will deffinately be wearing my bright yellow twin jets. We usually get there about 12:00 noon and don't actually start diving till 1:30 or so. That would be a good time to meet up if your gonna be there then. I will have to help the OW students set up gear and get the basics done but maybe we can set a plan for a dive later on that day depending on your schedule. If we are both working, we may not have that much time. I'll TRY to get back and check PM's later on.

Anyone else that's gonna be there, feel free to look me up anytime. I love to meet and dive with Scubaboard members! Oh...my vehicle is the Santa Fe with the scubaboard sticker on back. ;0) Here's my cell #: 806-729-7454

Jo

Yes, We should be there sometime around noon and usually try to be in the water around 1:30 - 2:00PM on Saturday. We do 2 - 3 dives on saturday and finish up around 6:30 - 7 usually and pack up for the night and go eat at the Bears Den for dinner.

On Sunday we usually get in the water around 7:30 - 8:00AM and finish up the weekend with 2 - 3 dives. We almost always try to do 5 class dives and a 1 fun dive. The group that we are doing is comfortable in the water and I'm pretty sure that we will be able to get the 6 dives in this weekend. We usually finish up around 11AM on sunday and leave around 12 - 1PM.

I'm pretty generic with what I wear - Black full 3mm everflex (although I might go dry if the air temperature is going to be cold and windy I hate nothing more than getting out of the water when the water is warmer than the air and it's wendy), black twin jet fins, black s-tek BCD. About the only thing that makes me stand out at balmorhea is I use a steel 104 cf tank (either red or yellow) with a DIN valve (1 tank lasts me all weekend. :-D - usually on about two hours of total bottom time) and my wetsuit booties have seen too many pool sessions as they are white and the neopreme is falling apart. (They were black when I bought them new)

I'll call you though. I've gotta run errands now. Talk to you later this week.

Your schedule sounds almost identical to ours. I'm sure I'll run into you.

Who else is gonna be there?

Hemlon:
Do you have to set up the dives through a dive shop? Can you just show up and dive?
As mentioned above, just show up at the park, check-in and pay, and splash down.

There is a little dive shop outside of the front gate and you might obtain fills, even rent tanks and weights. I just called them at 432-375-2572 and the lady said that her hubby has a class this weekend and may be challenged on fills. She suggested calling ahead or emailing at oasis@overland.net with any needs.

Portable compressors are not supposed to run in the parking lot, but I've seen them do so with no problem. Perhaps you can obtain fills from someone doing them there...?

I called the park: 432-375-2370, and they are still working on the new gates with no exact plans on when they will lower the water level to clean. Endangered pupfish live there and nowhere else in the world, so they have to be careful about all that.

I'm not going until Feb 18-19, for my Rescue Class. Y'all have fun.

texdiveguy:
... I will be in NW Iowa ice diving over that weekend. Have fun!!!
Hey Alan,

If you have a camera, try and take some good pictures of frozen fish for us. :)

Have a good time,

Willie

wet-willie:
Hey Alan,

If you have a camera, try and take some good pictures of frozen fish for us. :)

Mr. Alan's Fish Sticks :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom