Balmorhea Jan 28th.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner:
Alan is bringing his Tri-Cycle up to Iowa for the Ice Diving Event.
People save they're TriCycles for years for just such an occation.
I hear they race them on the ice. Can you believe it !!!

But it's not on top of the ice that they race....
They race in full dive gear "Underneath the Ice" :wink:

Those guys are just way Rad.... :14:

I hear the trick is to distract the other racers at the start and get the ~Hole Shot~

I bet money on you already Alan so don't Screw it up. :D

LOL.... my Tri-Cycle is called the "IceLiner",,,,catchy sounding!

Hemlon:
Do you have to set up the dives through a dive shop? Can you just show up and dive?

Just show up with your c-card. If you've never been you might want to look at some of the pictures online. It's kinda like a big swimming pool with lots of fish and turtles. It's nice to check out and do some practice dives. Think you might go?

Jo

ScubaTexan:
I wish I could, but until I can get rid of this stupid cough, I can't dive... :116:

I think everyone has that cough around here. I have it too but gonna take the risk so I can finish up my DM class....... Maybe you'll be better by then. Let us know.

Jo

I am not working on any certs or anything. I am just diving. My local shop is Surface Interval Scuba in Arlington TX. I am just going to show up at some time on Friday and dive. Will dive Saturday. Not planning on diving on Sunday. That'll be the long drive home ~ 8 hours.

I am still looking for a dive partner. I'd be happy to do some dives with you.
John

If the weather looks good and I'm not on call that weekend, I might be up for a Saturday dive or two. They were supposed to drain the pool and clean it up when they got the gates fixed. Last I heard it was scheduled for January. Has anyone checked on the status of that deal? That was what ranger Tom said back in October or November...whenever I was there last. I would hate to make that trip and find the pool is closed.

Here is the Park web site. Has all the info and scuba rules.

Here is a little slide show of pictures from past classes at Balmorhea if you are interested in a few above and below water shots.

dgreenh:
... They were supposed to drain the pool and clean it up when they got the gates fixed. Last I heard it was scheduled for January. Has anyone checked on the status of that deal?
Now that would be a bummer to drive all that way and find out the pool was empty. '22 to 28 million gallons of water' is a lot of water to divert.

Willie

It isn't a complete drain, they take it pretty low, but they just wash the fish snot... or whatever:wink: off the concrete areas. Its generally an annual event in January or February when usage is low. They couldn't do it last year because the gates were broke and I guess they couldn't let the water out fast enough. Seems like they close the pool for a week to do it. The pool is 3.5 million gallons. About 1 million gallons of water an hour flow through the pool, takes about 4 hours to refill. That IS a bunch of water in the desert!

It is supposed to be back open on Jan 20th. I'm sure gonna call and make sure though. You know how it goes!

Richerso......You are more than welcome to come dive with us. I'm working a class so there will be things that I have to do, but we are always looking for some "victims" for our Rescue class, and you can tag along with any of our dives. PM me a little closer to time and we'll make arrangements to meet. We are usually set up by the big diving board at the end.

I'll be there on the 27/28 too!! .. I'm working an open water class that weekend for Scuba Training Center out of Amarillo. See you there.

Cool. I got my first OW certification from Scuba Training in Amarillo 15 years ago. Whose instructing there now?

For all that will be there:.... Maybe a little later this week (wednesday or so) we can make plans to meet up somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom