Balmorhea Dec 3-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you have to go with a group from a dive shop that has the silo rented. Generally, they like to have at least 12 or so people. Surface Interval Scuba charged each person $55 for the diving. Other groups might charge differently, as it is kindof dependent on how many people go. The silo is about 20 miles south of Abilene. It is easy to find, but if you don't know exactly where it is, you would never know it is there. Everything is pretty much underground, with only a doorway on the surface, so there isn't much chance of anyone just stumbling onto it. The owners don't like to publicize the exact location for obvious reasons, but there is an Air Force internet site that talks about the Atlas missile program, listing all the Air Force Bases that had silos, a brief description of the silos (including who currently owns it and what it is being used for), and the GPS coordinates of each silo. It is really interesting reading. There were actually 12 missile silos around Abilene.

The owner of the silo meets the dive group there and gives everyone a tour of the facility and tells you all about it's history. That was almost as fun as the diving. It is a very interesting trip, for the diving as well as the historical information you will get from it. I guarantee you it's is well worth the trip. You will never see anything like it anywhere else.

kuldaddy:
It's too hard to get a flight to Toyahvale!!
And the stage coaches quite running a long time ago! :D

Willie

Who plans trips to the silo regularly? How can I get in with one?

I saw an ad on Surface Interval Scuba's website about the trip. Debraw and TexDiveGuy (from SIS) might be able to tell you if another trip is in the works from their shop. You might also contact the owners of the silo. They should be able to tell you what shops have the silo reserved and when. If you find a shop that has a trip scheduled and has openings, I would be willing to go again. The silo is only an hour from me, so I will go any chance I get.

Dave,

I won't be there, either.

Regards,

Hey, Dave....

Remember the MOjo??????

Regards,

scubajoh44:
Who plans trips to the silo regularly? How can I get in with one?

Try the Chum Club out of Houston , they have a trip planned Jan 28. Now that I think about I remember you said you were going to Balmorhea that weekend. SO much diving , so little time. We are also planning on going to Balmorhea that weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom