Balmorhea Dec 3-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I don't ever hear much about Balmorhea here. I guess most of you are too far east. Anyway... I thought I'de ask if anyone would be at Balmorhea Dec 3-4. I will be there doing my DM internship with an OW class. I have to do a mapping project and am in need of a buddy for it. It would be great to meet more scubaboard people at the same time.....:D

I will not be there on those dates,,,,maybe late Jan. 06'.....wish you the best on your DM program.....a big step in your diving career!

Our next one is Jan 28. If I don't get it done this weekend, maybe then. Either way....I'll be there the 28th.

The drive from the metroplex for me is 8hrs to Balmorhea.
We make the trip every winter just to break up the winter.
(However, this year we are hoping to add the scientific course at San Marcos- that would be fun.)
The big drawback is the drive…. Yawn.
However, we include on our trip a stop over at Carlsbad Caverns. This is a very cool add on and very worth it. This year we are hoping to add some private walks in wild caves. Should be FUN!

You know there are just two Mexican restaurants in this town right?
Just a warning... I checked in and asked the Park Ranger a good place to eat and get a drink and he started to laugh. His comment was you want choice 'a' or 'b'- it took a second to sink in. This place NEEDS a Whataburger! :D

This year I am packing the grill!
Later, Andrew

scubajoh44:
Our next one is Jan 28. If I don't get it done this weekend, maybe then. Either way....I'll be there the 28th.

We have a schd. shop trip to there on 1/27-29/06.

I'm not sure about Dec 3rd, but I can be there on the 4th. Its just a 2.5 hour drive for me. About the only place close to dive

Not much to map in Balmorhea. I know because I did my mapping project there last spring. Plenty of topside stuff but not too many notable features on the bottom. I did mine solo but there were lots of divers around and its pretty hard to get yourself into trouble in Balmorhea. That said, I am usually at Balmorhea 1 or 2 weekends a month but we aren't going to schedule any classes in December this year. Good luck on the map.

Yeah, they only have 2 restaurants.....and they are sloooowww. We usually cook out if weather permits or just decide to go as a group and scuba talk while we wait the 2 hours to eat. lol.

I will deffinately be there on the 28th.. Give me a PM a little closer to time txdiveguy. Love to meet you.

wtxblaze: We will be in the water by 8:00 am on the 4th. We'll probably be done by 10-11. We all have a 5 hour drive ahead of us. You up for Jan. 28th?

Dutchover's has been closed for the last few months. It kind of looked like they were doing some remodeling but not making any progress. I don't know if they are going to reopen or not. So, there is pretty much 1 restaurant now.

Hmmm... and Dutchover's was the good one. :0(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom