Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for the info, I will arrive in 14th Sept and will be diving in Tulemben from Sun till Wed.

Liang

hi,

spending in Bali 2 first weeks of Oct. Want to do diving, but also try rafting.

I am travelling alone, so buddies to discover the waterworld are welcome :) Would be nice to know at least someone beforehand or wait for meeting :) Have done 10 dives here in Estonia, and snorkeling in Thailand a year ago.

I`m also open to the suggestions about places to stay (max $30 per night, preferably less) and visit apart from diving. This forum seemed to best place to get this kind of info as well.

Have read all the postings in Bali thread, but as the last postings were at the end of august, started this one.

Oravake

Liang, are you going with Simon? If it's possible (my work schedule allows), I will be in Tulamben as well on 14 & 15 Sept. Meet you there (hopefully). I will stay at Paradise. Will let you know later.

Oravake,
The old thread is still active, it's better if you keep posting in the old one, there are many people known to be subscribed to that old thread would be more than glad to give you any info about Bali, either for diving or leisuring.
I will suggest you to talk to my friend Simon Gilbert (letsdive@baliscuba.com), he's quite knowledgeable about diving in Bali (and Lombok, if you need some info).
You can find many good hotel ranging from as low as IDR 150,000 (USD 15)/ night up to 5 stars USD 1500/ night in south area. If you want to stay at Tulamben, depends on your preference, you will find a room as cheap as IDR 60,000 (USD 6) up to IDR 700,000 (USD 70).
For rafting, I don't think Bali is a good place for you. Once I tried rafting in Bali (Ayung river), it's not too adventurous, the white water is rare. However, I heard that some agent here offer you with the high rafting experience to have a trip in a wild area of Ayung River.

PS: I suggest you not to reply here, use the old thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4175) since there would be many member will help you there

Hi fellows,
The best season for diving Tulamben just begun. In my own experience (and some friends as well), these 3 months (September, October, November) is the best season to dive Tulamben, in terms of visibility.
Last week I dove there, the temperature is a little bit lower than usual (26-27 degree), but the visibility was up to 20-25 meters. So anytime you dive here don't forget your 3mm full wet suit otherwise you would get cold like me :)

Thanks Erwin

Have contacted baliscuba guys and it seems will spend at least first half of the vacation under their supervision :)
(Took the liberty and mentioned your name as a sugester).

Sofar the plan is to have 4 dives in Menjang, 4 in Tulamben and the rest is still open .

Get well.

BTW what is te temp on the land? Is it windy, damp?

Oravake,

Good choice. I have dived with Bali Scuba and they truly are excellent.

Bali's climate is tropical, very very humid. The start of the monsoon season is end of October for most part, and the monsoon brings heavy rains to the islands.

However, Bali is pretty much sheltered and the sea conditions remain mild most of the time, except when there's a full moon.

The temperatures on land range between 29-34C most of the year, and about 28C when it rains.

Hope you'll have a great time in Bali. I'm going there again in the first week of November! :)

The temperature detail for today:

Temperature 82° F / 28° C
HeatIndex 87° F / 31° C
Humidity 74%
Dew Point 73° F / 23° C
Wind SE at 9 mph / 14.5 km/h
Pressure 29.85 in / 1011 hPa (Steady)
Conditions Scattered Clouds
Clouds Scattered Clouds (SCT) : 1900 ft / 581 m

I hope you enjoy the dive with them. Have a nice trip.

oravake once bubbled...
Thanks Erwin

Have contacted baliscuba guys and it seems will spend at least first half of the vacation under their supervision :)
(Took the liberty and mentioned your name as a sugester).

Sofar the plan is to have 4 dives in Menjang, 4 in Tulamben and the rest is still open .

Get well.

BTW what is te temp on the land? Is it windy, damp?

I can recommend Biaha and Mimpang, although they're a bit more challenging than Menjangen and Tulamben.

My wife and I were in Bali early to mid October last year, and visibility ranged between 50 and 80 feet (15-24 meters).

Menjangen Island is a wonderful dive site ... make sure you've got the buoyancy skills for wall diving, however as portions of the wall descend a very looooooong way to the bottom.

Tulamben is, so far, my all-time favorite dive site. I especially enjoyed diving the USS Liberty, although it bears little resemblance to a ship anymore. But the structures are massive, and so full of life. It's a photographer's dream. The Coral Gardens (sloping just off the beach from the Paradise Hotel) are a wonderful night dive. At 40 fsw (12 meters depth) we were able to turn off our dive lights and still navigate using the lights from the hotel.

Biaha and Mimpang are both boat dives ... we left from Padangbai, situated between Tulamben and Kuta.

Biaha is a very beautiful dive, although we encountered a great deal of surge. It's more of a steep slope than a wall, totally covered with corals and sponges. There's also in interesting cave nearby where you can see white-tip reef sharks.

Mimpang had the most life of any site we visited ... but a lot of current. Thermoclines at this site were dramatic, ranging from 84 degrees F to 73 degrees F (29-23 degrees C). Make sure to carry a safety sausage, as currents here can carry you far from your boat ... even between the rocks that pass for islands in the vicinity. Even with a sausage, we were on the surface for nearly 1/2 hour before our boat found us.

I love Bali ... I hope to "retire" there someday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here's the latest conditions report from Bali ...

The source is a newsletter I receive from AquaMarine Diving, in Kuta. They're the dive operation my wife and I hired last year, and in case anyone's looking for a reputable dive operation in Bali, I can recommend them heartily.

From their newsletter ...

Nusa Penida and outside Padangbai:
The currents in this area have been quite strong and have provided great conditions for the drift-diving for which these islands are famous. There has also been a really quite cold upwelling, not popular with the guides! However, this meant we saw 4 Mola-Molas (Sunfish) in three consecutive days last week. There has also been a big increase in the number and variety of sharks seen.

Tulamben:
We have located both pink and yellow pygmy seahorses and throughout this month the guides have reported seeing 20+ ghost pipefish on each dive. This, combined with a huge number of juveniles, has ensured that all our clients - particularly the influx of uw photographers - have had some great dives here.

Secret Bay:
There has been an overall reduction in the number of macro-critters seen here although, we are pleased to say, that there are still a good variety to be seen. These range from Ambon Scorpionfish to Mimic Octopus to seahorses and frogfish.

At all the sites, bar Secret Bay, the visibility is around 25M and, around the island, conditions have been great.

Back
Top Bottom