Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was not there myself, but got an e-mail saying it has been raining and raining and raining! So conditions are still terrible.

All that junk and muck that has been stuck up at Mount Agung is being flushed down!

Just had a 2-days-trip to Tulamben on 25-26 December 2002. Basically wants to know by myself about the condition in Tulamben. Generally, Tulamben is still good for diving. I did 6 dives in 2 days. 2 dives in Liberty Ship Wreck, 2 dives in Coral Garden (Paradise Patch Reef), 1 dive at Batu Kelebit and 1 dive a the Drop Off. Will describe the condition of each sites.

Liberty Ship Wreck
This area mostly undisturbed excepts a lot of debris from the Drop Off covering some hard coral on her. What really affected is the viz on shallow part which is dropped to 3-7 meters between surface to 7 meters depth. Gradually, the deeper we are, the better the visibility. When I reached 15 to 18 meters depth, the visibility was around 10 meters. Deeper than 20 meters, I got 15 meters visibility. On the same day, a local guide, Gusti, told me, he found the Pygmy Seahorse on the same Sea Fan which is lying in 27-30 meters depth. All we have to wait is the debris (mud) getting consolidated with the bottom and start to have crystal clear visibility in Liberty Ship Wreck. However, at the present time, it's still diveable.

Drop Off
I choose to swim a bit going to the first corner of the Drop Off. Then descend to 7 meters. The wall area of the Drop Off is quite undisturbed except the viz of course. Even the purple giant sea fan, one of our landmark in Drop Off, is still alive. The worst visibility is, again, in the shallower part (surface to 15 meters depth). However, one of the most heartbreaking dive I had is when I reached the slope which is stretched from 9 to 20 meters depth. Most coral there are died, I guess it is around 80% of coral covered by debris and when I swept my hand around, I saw that bleached part of the coral (remind me of Lombok). If you were in the Drop Off before, this was the reddish hard coral (Acropora sp) where we can find after we turn right from the first wall. They all covered with debris and everytime I swept my hand around, I saw bleached coral. And also some soft coral surrounding, like brain coral and table coral also bleached. I saw a barrel sponge full of debris inside, it's still alive though, but I don't know how long :(.

Coral Garden/ Paradise Patch Reef
I did one night dive and also it was raining heavily. Fo the night dive, Coral Garden is not much changed after the flood. I still can find my favorite ribbon eel. The anemones there is still healthy. I also found a small baby squid and a lot of lionfish, even more than the flood. Additionally as the bonus, 4 morray eels closely to each other appear near the end of the dive. It was one of the best night dive I had, not mentioning the surge getting stronger and stronger and make me sick thereafter :)
For my sixth dive, I decided to dive this site once again. However, instead of getting a good one, I got the worst visibility ever. Starting from around zero to 1 meters visibility, getting a bit better (3 meters viz) after deeper than 4 meters depth. Also found out some coral already bleached aftr the flood but the area not as big as the Drop off. Until the end of the reef, the viz did not exceed 5 meters. You know, that this patches end on around 12 meters depth. So basically nothing we could see. The viz getting better after we reached the slope sandy bottom. Viz there was around 10 meters. Actually I was waiting for Rozy (a juvenile black tip shark, which my Swiss friend named it). This time it did not show up. :( Finally, after 32 minutes of boring dive, I decided to end the dive. Again, this site is still promising. Once we got better viz, we can still enjoy this place.

Batu Kelebit
This site is not affected at all. Still got the same good condition and a lot of marine life is still there. The diver come to Tulamben can make this site for the number one dive site.

Another good new sites I have heard about is Batu Ringgit, which is northern of Tulamben. Will do a small survey in this new year diving. Will let you know later. The highlights (not confirmed yet) are healthy coral and some sort of cavern dive, let see whether it's true.

This short report also can be accessed at http://www.kapalselam.org/tulamben_flood_report.php

Hi guys,

I'm planning to be on Bali 6-14 March, looking for a PADI instructor to follow up on Open Water Refferal. And dive some more, and more....

Tulamben seems to be the place to start, I get the impression hooking up with you and your friends could be a great way to start without getting hassled all over the place or end up diving with the wrong guys.

Any comments on the conditions at tulamben ? it has been quiet for a while on this thread, how about March ?

Cheers,

Bart

Hi, Bart,
As long as it is sunny, Tulamben still offers good diving, except once it is heavy raining then the viz would be reduced since it stirs up the mud on the bottom. For your referral OW course, I guess it's good for you to complete it in Sanur since it is mostly related to your basic scuba skill and it's quite close to any tourist place in south area. Once you finished your course, you can start diving around in Padang Bai and Tulamben. If you think you'll need more challenge site then Nusa Penida is my suggestion.

Erwin,

Thanks for your suggestions,

I have already been to most places on Bali and always try to stay away from the Kuta area so i thought staying at tulamben would be a nice change. It would be nice if i can do the openwater dives there, i know some diving clubs do...
But i guess you maybe right, with most of the dive schools operating from the south i will have a better chance there at finding an ongoing course i can join halfway.

In your opinion, has the diving in tulamben degraded due to the dec flood/landslide or are things just as good as they used to be now after a few months ?

Cheers,

Bart

Hi Bart,
AFAIK, many dive centers in Bali would be glad to have your OW course while you stayed in Tulamben although they reside in southern area. they usually stay with you in Tulamben.
Condition in Tulamben not as good as it used to be, but it's still diveable especially in the shipwreck, Alamanda (not Alam Anda) and Batu Kelebit. The viz during the sunny day varied between 10-20 meter. Only Drop Off and patch reef in front of Mimpi and Paradise that still has degraded viz, especially during the rain.

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for the info, a shame that the visibility is not as good as it used to be, i was looking forward to hovering around this coral garden, anyway, i don't think it rains a lot in this northern flank of Bali, let's just hope i have good weather.

I am also getting some info from other kapal selam members, like hengky and Made and your friend Simon Gilbert offered me his services.
Thanks a lot for the update on Tulamben even though it is not good news, terima kasih...

Bart

Hi Erwin, Apa kabar ?

I arranged for the PADI OW dives with Simon on 6/7 March, just before the weekend arrives. If i like Tulamben i'll be there for the weekend, and have the rest of the week to go to other places.

Hope to see you there, at least for a beer and some local advice.

Best regards,

Bart

Back
Top Bottom