Bali for 4 diving days in October - Where and with whom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resnick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm arriving in Bali on Wednesday October 16, and I've got Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to dive before my meetings (in Nusa Dua) start on Monday. I'm an experienced diver, my favorite kind of diving is wall diving (though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a manta or mola-mola), and I prefer smaller operators to big outfits. Where should I stay for the 4 days, where should I dive, and what op would you recommend?

Although it would be a busy 4 days, I'd say dive 17/18th Nusa Penida/Lembogan for mantas/late season mola mola. Most operators will pick up in greater DPS and do three tank trips that typically include Manta Point (pretty guaranteed for mantas) and two dives at Crystal Bay or others for mola molas. Not happy now with who I usually dove with in Bali, so I can't point you to anyone in particular, but there are so many operators..im sure someone else who answers will recommend one. After diving on the 18th I'd head straight out to Tulamben and spend two days diving there for the Liberty, Seraya, etc.. then drive back to Denpasar after diving on the 20th. In Tulamben I always stay and dive with Tulamben Wreck Divers who are fantastic, and just a short walk from the Liberty. Tulamben can easily be done as a day trip, but its a long drive with heavy traffic, and if you stay out there you can dive early on the Liberty before it gets packed with day trippers. You'll love the diving!

Unless you have already booked your Nusa Dua accommodation, try to stay somewhere else during your diving days, otherwise you will be adding many hours to your day due to the traffic and the roadworks.

I would suggest that you either stay in Sanur and dive with Bali Scuba, Crystal Divers, D Scuba Club*, Bali Aqua* (in no particular order), or stay in the East, maybe in Padang Bai, and dive with 4fun diving*, Absolute Scuba, Waterworx*, Geko* etc

Check out their websites and email for advice

* means smaller operators

No accommodations booked yet, and I'm happy to stay outside of Nusa Dua for the 4 nights before the meetings, so that's fine.

Are you suggesting spending all 4 days is one place (Sanur or Padang Bai), or splitting my time? What is the attraction of either area?

That depends on whether you like re-packing your case, or whether you are familiar with each area.

Sanur is more touristy with many restaurants, shops and accommodation to suit all budgets, plus a nice beach front promonade, but Padang Bai is more like traditional Bali, a small fishing village, gateway to the Gilis and Lombok with the ferry terminal, very small village but friendly, again with restaurants and accommodation but not many shops. The locals in PB will certainly make you feel at home, unlike Sanur where you are just another tourist. :wink:

Really, it would depend on your expectations and the level of comfort. Don't expect 5* in Padang Bai.

Padang Bai has great wall diving just 5 minutes out of the harbour and almost all dive sites are within a 45 minute boat or bus ride. Sanur is further away from the Tulamben and Amed sites.

It's good to hear that you haven't booked your room yet, think you'd have hated being stuck in Nusa Dua (very sterile). Anyway, get out and about to find the real Bali, off the tourist trail. :confined:

Happy, safe diving

Unless you have already booked your Nusa Dua accommodation, try to stay somewhere else during your diving days, otherwise you will be adding many hours to your day due to the traffic and the roadworks.

Speaking of traffic and road works, how long will it take to go by car (local driver from Liberty Resort both ways) from Sanur to Tulamben and then back from Tulamben to Benoa Harbour? And this will be in June, during the Arts Festival season.

Sanur to Tulamben 2 1/2 to 3 hours, probably same for return journey.

Sanur to Tulamben 2 1/2 to 3 hours, probably same for return journey.

Thanks. I have arranged a 9am pick-up from Sanur, which should give me enough time to reach Liberty Dive Resort, have lunch and do the planned afternoon check-dive and a night dive. Planned 13 dives in Tulamben, 3 in Nusa Penida and 20 dives in Komodo NP on board the Mermaid II liveaboard.

Although it would be a busy 4 days, I'd say dive 17/18th Nusa Penida/Lembogan for mantas/late season mola mola.

Sorry to hijack this thread .. but from your experience do you think the mola2s are still around during October?:blinking:

Thanks.

do you think the mola2s are still around during October?:blinking:
The Mola2 are always somewhere, just sometimes deeper than recreational divers can go. Your chances of spotting them in October are probably as good as any other time, as it depends a lot on the water temperature and this seems to be changing and getting colder with each passing year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom