Bali diveprices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am really not surprised she didn’t listen to you if your anything like your online persona in real life.

I am really not surprised she didn’t listen to you if your anything like your online persona in real life.
Such a lame argumentation ! Ad hominem. (Schopenhauer - strategy 16).

Did you care reading what I wrote : the mechanics engineer warned them a couple of time.
Your opinion is debunked, you're so biased and onesided that your opinion is worth the best hours of staline's political trials. :rofl3:

Could you be more specific. Are you referring to solo diving through a dive centre? And are you talking about a dive business in Indonesia for recreational, watersports or tourism purposes?

I'm guessing that snorkeling and freediving are either part of that same law that you're referring to, or same type of restrictions but in different categories. ie. a boat from a recreational watersports business is prohibited from taking a large group of snorklers & divers and letting them all jump into the ocean without a guide or supervision?

If what you're referring to is that, does that mean every tourist that decides to snorkel alone, or does some morning yoga then goes solo freediving is engaging in "forbidden" behaviour and breaking Indonesian law?

Another example would be, if I flew into Indonesia to meet up with a friend or dive buddy, and we go diving without using a dive centre or any other associated business, would we be breaking this Indonesian law that you're referring to?

I genuinely want some concrete clarification.
Yes, technically you would be breaking that law if you met with a buddy and went diving unless that buddy was a "local guide" which is any Indonesian with a Pro rating (DM, Instructor) or a foreigner working in Indonesia with a KITAS (valid work permit) and also a pro.

All diving in Indonesia is to be done with a guide, full stop.

Yes, technically you would be breaking that law if you met with a buddy and went diving unless that buddy was a "local guide" which is any Indonesian with a Pro rating (DM, Instructor) or a foreigner working in Indonesia with a KITAS (valid work permit) and also a pro.

Yes, I've heard same answer before without no specific law being explained. The only regulation I know is the one that's official Indonesian law regarding a "business" strictly prohibited from allowing/facilitating a solo dive without a guide.

Could you please elaborate and point out or share the specific law which states that in Indonesia that it's illegal to purchase/hire equipment and dive on one's own accord. Because all you're doing is pointing out the same law that I and another poster already shared in Indonesian forum recently.

But I could not find the respective law on line(Google).

@ScubaWithTurk , I'm not trying to be condescending nor looking for an argument, I just want to clear this misunderstanding up.

I believe this is the Indonesian law/regulation that you are referring to, which only relates to recreational diving TOURISM & SERVICES:

Screenshot_20230215_173250_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20230215_173250_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Translated in English: RECREATIONAL DIVING TOURISM GUIDELINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD ALMIGHTY THE MINISTER OF TOURISM OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA,

The references to solo diving being prohibited are:

(IND) STANDAR OPERASIONAL PROSEDUR PENYELENGGARAAN WISATA SELAM REKREASI

(ENG) STANDARD OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES FOR RECREATIONAL DIVING TOURISM

(IND) B. Pengawasan Kegiatan Selam Rekreasi 1. Kegiatan Wisata selam rekreasi

(ENG) B. Supervision of recreational diving activities 1. Recreational diving tourism activities

(IND) b) Seluruh kegiatan wisata selam rekreasi pada perairan terbuka wajib dilakukan pendampingan atau pengawasan oleh pemandu selam (dive guide) atau Instruktur dari pengusaha wisata selam baik langsung maupun tidak langsung.

(ENG) b) All recreational dive tourism activities in open water must be assisted or supervised by dive guides or instructors from dive tourism entrepreneurs, either directly or indirectly.

(IND) 3. Wisatawan Selam
a) Wisatawan selam dilarang melakukan penyelaman sendiri.

(ENG) 3. Diving Tourists
a) Diving tourists are prohibited from diving alone.

(IND) e) Wisatawan selam yang akan melakukan kegiatan penyelaman free/skin diving atau snorkeling wajib didampingi minimum oleh seorang pemandu penyelaman bebas (free/skin diving) atau snorkeling dan dilakukan pada perairan terbuka yang relatif aman atau perairan tertutup.

(ENG) e) Diving tourists who will carry out free/skin diving or snorkeling activities must be accompanied by a minimum of a free/skin diving or snorkeling guide and carried out in relatively safe open waters or closed waters.

@ScubaWithTurk do you see that by that very same section in those regulations for Diving Tourists including scuba, snorkeling and freediving are all bound by those same laws. Which would literally mean according to your interpretation of those Indonesian laws, that a couple on their honeymoon or solo traveller wouldn't be allowed to snorkel alone or without a guide at the beach.

I'm pointing this out, as all these regulations from the Indonesian government only apply to diving tourism and services. There's a big distinction from conducting one's own activities legally, like hiring mask, snorkel and fins and looking for turtles in Gili Islands from shore, as it's not an actual dive tourism service/business like a snorkeling tour, it's just hiring gear only.

@ScubaWithTurk , I'm not trying to be condescending nor looking for an argument, I just want to clear this misunderstanding up.

I believe this is the Indonesian law/regulation that you are referring to, which only relates to recreational diving TOURISM & SERVICES:

View attachment 769687View attachment 769687

Translated in English: RECREATIONAL DIVING TOURISM GUIDELINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD ALMIGHTY THE MINISTER OF TOURISM OF THE REPUBLIC OF INDONESIA,

The references to solo diving being prohibited are:

(IND) STANDAR OPERASIONAL PROSEDUR PENYELENGGARAAN WISATA SELAM REKREASI

(ENG) STANDARD OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES FOR RECREATIONAL DIVING TOURISM

(IND) B. Pengawasan Kegiatan Selam Rekreasi 1. Kegiatan Wisata selam rekreasi

(ENG) B. Supervision of recreational diving activities 1. Recreational diving tourism activities

(IND) b) Seluruh kegiatan wisata selam rekreasi pada perairan terbuka wajib dilakukan pendampingan atau pengawasan oleh pemandu selam (dive guide) atau Instruktur dari pengusaha wisata selam baik langsung maupun tidak langsung.

(ENG) b) All recreational dive tourism activities in open water must be assisted or supervised by dive guides or instructors from dive tourism entrepreneurs, either directly or indirectly.

(IND) 3. Wisatawan Selam
a) Wisatawan selam dilarang melakukan penyelaman sendiri.

(ENG) 3. Diving Tourists
a) Diving tourists are prohibited from diving alone.

(IND) e) Wisatawan selam yang akan melakukan kegiatan penyelaman free/skin diving atau snorkeling wajib didampingi minimum oleh seorang pemandu penyelaman bebas (free/skin diving) atau snorkeling dan dilakukan pada perairan terbuka yang relatif aman atau perairan tertutup.

(ENG) e) Diving tourists who will carry out free/skin diving or snorkeling activities must be accompanied by a minimum of a free/skin diving or snorkeling guide and carried out in relatively safe open waters or closed waters.
Is this law still valid? What is the implication to everyone?
So anyone who claimed to have dive solo since the implementation of this is breaking the law?

Is this law still valid? What is the implication to everyone?
So anyone who claimed to have dive solo since the implementation of this is breaking the law?

Yes, I believe these laws are still valid. And I think that a lot of countries with dive tourism, have similar regulations.

Basically it's to prevent unsafe, unprofessional rouge operators from being involved in the recreational diving tourism business.

So if you read the regulations, it only applies to "Recreational Diving Tourism & Services".

Example, a snorkeling boat tour must have a guide or supervision, but that regulation wouldn't apply to someone who wants to snorkel alone from shore or from their own boat, as they haven't taken the services of a recreational diving business/tourism service... they're of their own free will to explore the ocean responsibly.

As @Wisnu has pointed out, diving in Indonesia falls into different categories, like technical diving and commercial diving etc.

My question was on scuba diving not snorkelling. So I assumed it is illegal to dive unguided in the country even on a house reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom