Bali diveprices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I bet you didn't even look up the official regulations until I posted it.

I will take that bet since I am the Dive Operations Manager and Head Instructor at a Dive Center in Amed, Bali. I had heard about the law, asked around and then looked it up myself so that I could be sure that we were in compliance and that I had a fact based answer for any diver looking to go dive without a guide.

That law applies to Indonesian citizens also, if you actually download and read it. Example, a family from Jawa holiday in Bali for recreational diving tourism are partaking in recreational diving tourism activities.

Your example specifically said a local in his own boat that goes snorkeling or spear fishing. That is not scuba diving therefore I was correct.

I will take that bet since I am the Dive Operations Manager and Head Instructor at a Dive Center in Amed, Bali. I had heard about the law, asked around and then looked it up myself so that I could be sure that we were in compliance and that I had a fact based answer for any diver looking to go dive without a guide.

That's good to hear, and I applaud you for your extra precautions. If I'm ever in Amed and looking for a dive shop, I'll at least know that someone there has the mindset for responsibility and accountability.

That being said, this isn't about one up-manship, and if I'm wrong or right it doesn't matter to me, what matters is that divers shouldn't need be fearing a law that is based on certain activities and different circumstances.

I'm not 100% fluent in bahasa Indonesia yet, but I practice reading every night. I had a good look at the guidelines: PEDOMAN PENYELENGGARAAN WISATA SELAM REKREASI DENGAN RAHMAT TUHAN YANG MAHA ESA MENTERI PARIWISATA REPUBLIK INDONESIA,...and I didn't come across the words "orang asing" or "warga negara lain", in other words foreigners or foreign citizens. So, these guidelines apply to all peoples including Indonesian citizens, and like I said, it's primarily directed towards recreational diving operators.

I simply see it is not worth and a waste of time explaining anything to you since you're convinced out of thin air that your friends are the most supercalifragilidecious dive operators in the world. (How much are they paying you? Are you under any threat -if yes just use the clown icon twice- ? Did they promise you Stalin's medal?)
At least you know how to use Petitio principii out of nothing real - Schopenhauer strategy #6

Pioneers 13 years ago...? Ho humm this is getting embarassing.
For your own culture, you should check out info about these guys Hani Batuna, Wally Siagian, Max Ammer, Edy Fromenwiler, Larry Smith or Donovan Whitford.
FYI to give you some time perspective when I first dived the Gilis in 1999 there were already lots of dive centres, local, german or english owned, in 2010 Labuan Bajo was on the backpacker trail with a large selection of dive centers.
You don’t get it - they set up in 1993/4 on gilli air, and where the first centre on the island . funny enough that was the first time I visited the Gillis and I went to Indo about 20 times including one six months stint before you even went to the gillis for the first time😀😀😀

Why do you keep insulting someone when they have not insulted you?

Could you be more specific. Are you referring to solo diving through a dive centre? And are you talking about a dive business in Indonesia for recreational, watersports or tourism purposes?

I'm guessing that snorkeling and freediving are either part of that same law that you're referring to, or same type of restrictions but in different categories. ie. a boat from a recreational watersports business is prohibited from taking a large group of snorklers & divers and letting them all jump into the ocean without a guide or supervision?

If what you're referring to is that, does that mean every tourist that decides to snorkel alone, or does some morning yoga then goes solo freediving is engaging in "forbidden" behaviour and breaking Indonesian law?

Another example would be, if I flew into Indonesia to meet up with a friend or dive buddy, and we go diving without using a dive centre or any other associated business, would we be breaking this Indonesian law that you're referring to?

I genuinely want some concrete clarification.
All very valid questions. And some have been not taken into consideration by the people making this law. This is the law. With Google Translate or ChatGTP it should be possible to translate in any language.
Supervision is not better described than what you would find in a PADI divemaster course. Which allows supervision from the boat or shore. As with many laws in Indonesia, nobody really cares. Until something goes wrong and people go to jail for years.

A
First of all, you do seem to be looking for an argument or at least are being condescending because you ask a question, one I answered and then you basically tell me I am wrong.

Now onto the actual law, you are being quite liberal with your interpretation of the law. You are reading "dive tourism" and thinking it refers to a business. Any diving in Bali by someone who is just visiting, is considered dive tourism. Also, you keep mentioning snorkeling and no one here as mentioned that. This a post about diving on a message board with SCUBA in the name.

If you rent a cylinder and weights from a dive op, you are now partaking in diving tourism and as such, would need a guide. Every dive center here knows that the law exists. Do they all follow it? No they do not. Some places will let you rent cylinders and weights and go for a dive with a buddy. Many won't allow it. I prefer to stay on the right side of the law these days, not so much when I was younger, therefore our dive center will not let you go out without a DM or myself accompanying you.

Yes, it only applies to diving tourism. Any diving a non-citizen or a person without a valid work permit or retirement visa does falls under that stature. You are a tourist engaged in diving activities, hence dive tourism.

All recreational dive tourism activities in open water must be assisted or supervised by dive guides or instructors from dive tourism entrepreneurs (If you dive in Indonesia as a tourist, you must be assisted or supervised by a guide or instructor from a dive center or dive tourism business)

I hope that helps.
Actually, it includes snorkeling.
Wisatawan selam yang akan melakukan kegiatan penyelaman
free/skin diving atau snorkeling wajib didampingi minimum oleh
seorang pemandu penyelaman bebas (free/skin diving) atau
snorkeling dan dilakukan pada perairan terbuka yang relatif
aman atau perairan tertutup.

Hi all, I’m going to Bali, researching diveshops and trying to get a feel for prices. Need some input as I’m finding quotes to be very expensive IMO. Getting averages of around $40 USD per dive on nitrox..and that’s when offering to buy a pack of 30+ dives which are all shoredives with no rental gear at all and no transport or park fees..as it’s housereef stuff...so basically $40 for a filled tank..and that’s it.

just seems a bit steep. If you are an experienced diver in Bali, could you chime in with what sort of ballpark I can/should expect?

this is all north shore stuff as well, no ‘soma bay tourist trap’ stuff...

tnx.
As mentioned by me and others. Dives should be guided, or at least supervised. So, what would you think is a fair salary for the guide and the costs of his dive gear? And the person filling the Nitrox? We can agree they are two professionals doing a skilled job? What about the compressor costs such as energy, the place to run it, filters, oil, maintenance and overhauls. The transport of the tanks? Maintenance of the tanks? What about taxes and permit costs for the operation?
Yes, many people are willing to work for much less than what would be fair. Because they are over their heads in debts after more than years without any income from their dive operations. Please do your own math. And calculate what would be a fair price to pay. 30 USD per dive is not covering the costs for small scale operators where it can happen that the guide have to take only one or two guests diving at the same time.

A

Actually, it includes snorkeling.
Wisatawan selam yang akan melakukan kegiatan penyelaman
free/skin diving atau snorkeling wajib didampingi minimum oleh
seorang pemandu penyelaman bebas (free/skin diving) atau
snorkeling dan dilakukan pada perairan terbuka yang relatif
aman atau perairan tertutup.

Yes, it might include snorkeling but this is a post about scuba diving on a scuba message board so I am not sure why people keep bringing up snorkeling.

As mentioned by me and others. Dives should be guided, or at least supervised. So, what would you think is a fair salary for the guide and the costs of his dive gear? And the person filling the Nitrox? We can agree they are two professionals doing a skilled job? What about the compressor costs such as energy, the place to run it, filters, oil, maintenance and overhauls. The transport of the tanks? Maintenance of the tanks? What about taxes and permit costs for the operation?
Yes, many people are willing to work for much less than what would be fair. Because they are over their heads in debts after more than years without any income from their dive operations. Please do your own math. And calculate what would be a fair price to pay. 30 USD per dive is not covering the costs for small scale operators where it can happen that the guide have to take only one or two guests diving at the same time.

So, what would you think is a fair salary for the guide and the costs of his dive gear? And the person filling the Nitrox? We can agree they are two professionals doing a skilled job? What about the compressor costs such as energy, the place to run it, filters, oil, maintenance and overhauls. The transport of the tanks? Maintenance of the tanks? What about taxes and permit costs for the operation?
I have absolutely no idea because i have no idea of the cost of living or economies of scale on Bali. That’s the reason I asked…..

Returning more closely to the original thrust of OP's query, I would like to ask for advice from some of the more experienced SB Bali regular divers re dive prices. I am much more familiar with the setup in the Philippines having dived there many times over the years, but have only been to NP once just prior to the pandemic and enjoyed Manta Point but missed the Molas as it was the wrong season.

I am planning a 5 day dive trip in Aug/Sep and was originally thinking to base my family (all 4 divers) in Candidasa/Padang Bai in order to do a range of dives (2 days Tulamben/Amed, 1 day Gili T/M/Biaha, 1 day NP Crystal Bay/Manta Point, 1 day PBmuck/macro). I found that the average dive prices in Tulamben to be around USD$20-30, while the same in Candidasa/PB seem to be around the $40-45 range? Cost is not the number one consideration(safety and quality come first for me), but when one is paying for everything x4, costs quickly add up! Could some of the old hands please chime in on the following:

Is my initial assessment of the price difference accurate? If so, what is the reason for the almost doubling of prices? I assume the macro in Tulamben is just as good, if not better than that in PB?
Could we do a similar multi day/place dive schedule based in Tulamben to save some costs? Or does that mean that we are basically only doing (great)macro+wreck?
Can we dive the nearby Gilis T/M/B as a day trip from Tulamben?
I understand that the trip to NP will cost more due to the longer boat ride etc, but is that doable if we are staying in Tulamben instead of Candidasa/PB? Would love to try for the Molas this time around and Manta Point is definitely worth a 2nd visit!

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Back
Top Bottom