Bali airport arrivals supposedly faster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just in Bali (flight from Singapore) 2 weeks ago (Arenui trip from Bali to Komodo). The arrival processing time through immigration was still annoyingly long (3 planes landed around the same time). From my perspective, the process is not improved much at all.

By comparison, we landed in Jakarta (from Singapore) to catch a connection to Sorong about 10 days earlier. Jakarta was much more efficient in clearning people through (again, dealing with multiple planes arriving around the same time).

My observation was that Jakarta was much faster because they were clearning in mostly people on business trips - much less worried about visa issues, etc. From my casual observations they were clearing people through more than twice as fast (per person) in Jakarta vs. DPS.

It was such a marked difference for us that we'll consider rerouting through Jakarta vs. DPS or Manado as our first port of entry into Indonesia (looking to leverage this early next year to avoid flying Scoot from SG to Manado, instead, SG-Jakarta, then catching to flight to Manado a few hours later) <-- added benefit of arriving early AM in Manado, which means we can dive the afternoon of arrival at Lembeh.
Why do you want to avoid Scoot?

This past winter, I took many Scoot flights. I took the first one direct from Manado to Singapore because there was no other choice. Once I got past the glitches on their app, everything went very well and I was pleased with the onboard experience. Yes, it does seem odd that a Singapore Air owned company has such a ridiculous app. Hopefully, it will be soon improved.

Though the Jakarta experience was much improved but I would still rather skip it, given any choice.

What will you do? Are you going to stick it out or sell and try again elsewhere?
We will hang on to it for sure as the rent is a solid extra income. When my daughter was born three years ago, we bought another house/villa in Jimboran in a far more local neighborhood full of kids, close to international schools, summer sports programs, etc... We got it in good shape, and it is now rented too. When the time comes and we are no longer traveling to the US anymore to visit my parents we will renovate and spend our off time there.

Why do you want to avoid Scoot?

This past winter, I took many Scoot flights. I took the first one direct from Manado to Singapore because there was no other choice. Once I got past the glitches on their app, everything went very well and I was pleased with the onboard experience. Yes, it does seem odd that a Singapore Air owned company has such a ridiculous app. Hopefully, it will be soon improved.

Though the Jakarta experience was much improved but I would still rather skip it, given any choice.
As both a diver and underwater photographer I have zero interest in paying overweight on Scoot. When I fly In SIA my status gets me the extra allowance needed so I never pay overweight (same w/Garuda).

Scoot's food is terrible, service is average, and the seats have less leg room than other carriers.
I also like the schedule of getting into Manado early morning. That way you can get 1-2 dives in on the day of arrival (Scoot+transfer to resorts in Lembeh gets in late in the day).

I've been traveling in the region for business for many years. The Jakarta experience is much improved, and now easy.

As both a diver and underwater photographer I have zero interest in paying overweight on Scoot. When I fly In SIA my status gets me the extra allowance needed so I never pay overweight (same w/Garuda).

Scoot's food is terrible, service is average, and the seats have less leg room than other carriers.
I also like the schedule of getting into Manado early morning. That way you can get 1-2 dives in on the day of arrival (Scoot+transfer to resorts in Lembeh gets in late in the day).

I've been traveling in the region for business for many years. The Jakarta experience is much improved, and now easy.
Ive also been traveling in the region for many years. Yes, the Jakarta experience is vastly improved but still not worth it to me.

I'm not a photographer. Regardless, I did suffer some overweight fees here and there, for reasons that aren't pertinent. I don't remember the food one way or the other but I found the legroom was very good compared to many other airlines. I did seat selection near the front.

Having status is not to be scoffed at so I envy you.

I was just in Bali (flight from Singapore) 2 weeks ago (Arenui trip from Bali to Komodo). The arrival processing time through immigration was still annoyingly long (3 planes landed around the same time). From my perspective, the process is not improved much at all.

By comparison, we landed in Jakarta (from Singapore) to catch a connection to Sorong about 10 days earlier. Jakarta was much more efficient in clearning people through (again, dealing with multiple planes arriving around the same time).

My observation was that Jakarta was much faster because they were clearning in mostly people on business trips - much less worried about visa issues, etc. From my casual observations they were clearing people through more than twice as fast (per person) in Jakarta vs. DPS.

It was such a marked difference for us that we'll consider rerouting through Jakarta vs. DPS or Manado as our first port of entry into Indonesia (looking to leverage this early next year to avoid flying Scoot from SG to Manado, instead, SG-Jakarta, then catching to flight to Manado a few hours later) <-- added benefit of arriving early AM in Manado, which means we can dive the afternoon of arrival at Lembeh.

To go to Raja Ampat is better to fly from Jakarta with nonstop flight to Sorong in 4 hour flight.

Anara hotel, upstairs from the international arrival terminal is also nice to stay between flights.

My favorite activities during layover in CGK airport is to check in to Anara, get a massage and eat at Bakmi Gajah Mada or Saté Senayan. Sooo yummy!

@Dan
Although I agree the overnight connection from Jakarta to Sorong is the way to go to RA, when were just there there was word that Batik was considering flying DPS-Sorong direct, supposedly trying to get the permission for this route.

Depending on the time of day, that might be an interesting option (w/a stop it's not interesting, direct it might be).

@Dan
Although I agree the overnight connection from Jakarta to Sorong is the way to go to RA, when were just there there was word that Batik was considering flying DPS-Sorong direct, supposedly trying to get the permission for this route.

Depending on the time of day, that might be an interesting option (w/a stop it's not interesting, direct it might be).

I can’t wait to see that direct flight DPS-SOQ. That would be even shorter than 4 hour flight plus 1 hour time zone change rather than 2 hours if you fly from Jakarta.

I flew to Sorong from Denpasar in the past once and had to stay overnight in Makassar. Stopped that nonsense on the next 8 trips to Sorong.

The only time I fly to Bali, other than go diving in Bali (obviously) is when I want to go to Komodo or Alor or Maumere or Wakatobi.

Scoot's food is terrible
Totally agree with that statement.

Last year on my return from DPS to SIN I donated my free meal to one of the passengers next to me. Flying with SIA from DXB-SIN-DXB on business did not affect my baggage allowance on my SIN-MDC and DPS-SIN flights. The baggage payment for Lion Air between MDC and DPS was about USD15 I think.

I miss Silk Air :(

Totally agree with that statement.

Last year on my return from DPS to SIN I donated my free meal to one of the passengers next to me. Flying with SIA from DXB-SIN-DXB on business did not affect my baggage allowance on my SIN-MDC and DPS-SIN flights. The baggage payment for Lion Air between MDC and DPS was about USD15 I think.

I miss Silk Air :(
I too miss Silk Air 😢

I'm confused by the situation. Silk was owned by Singapore Air and was a nice little airline.

How does it get replaced by Scoot?

Yes, I'm reasonably satisfied with Scoot but it's no Silk, that's for sure.

How does it get replaced by Scoot?
I think that was due to Covid :(

Financially the Scoot option probably is better for SIA. When @outofofficebrb and I flew from SIN to MDC in April last year, the flight was half empty, it was fine as we had three seats to ourself after the plane took off.

My flight from DPS to SIN was jam packed though, albeit a shorter flight.

Back
Top Bottom