Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have hoped for more information on this incident, but if nothing else, this thread has served as an interesting forum for discussion of dive buddy responsibilities, DM responsibilities and DM responsibilities when the DM is hired specifically to buddy with one person.

I would have hoped for more information on this incident, but if nothing else, this thread has served as an interesting forum for discussion of dive buddy responsibilities, DM responsibilities and DM responsibilities when the DM is hired specifically to buddy with one person.

Interesting, maybe, but what lessons have we learned? The same lesson that comes from every accident thread, sure. You are ultimately responsible for your own safety. If you want to come back from your dive, you have to make it happen. Dive conservatively. Whether we believe the DM should have made a rescue or not, whether we believe the victim was suicidal, narced, obstinate, or otherwise, that's stuff we discuss after the fact and it doesn't get anyone safely back to shore. The best dive plan starts with the expectation that you can't count on anyone else for help, and that you need to be there for your buddy anyway.

:hijack:
Yeah, well, I decided to leave this thread alone to act as a repository for rhetoric, ramblings, red herrings & regurgitations... sort of an attractive trash can to help keep the rest of the forum picked up a bit.
If anything definitive about the mishap surfaces it'll be a small miracle.
:D
Rick
end :hijack:

And...you managed a nice alliteration of all those ramblings here, too!

Too bad this extremely long thread did not come to a more graceful conclusion. I keep hoping for information from the investigative team and/or one of the participants with knowledge of the investigative report.

Good diving, Craig

The conclusion of the thread? Be a responsible diver who looks out for themself and your buddy, don't expect too much from hired help and don't trust anyone with your life.

Too bad this extremely long thread did not come to a more graceful conclusion. I keep hoping for information from the investigative team and/or one of the participants with knowledge of the investigative report.

Good diving, Craig
The investigative team works for the operator/agency ... you don't really expect them to either find the truth or even share their spin on the incident ... do you?

I wouldn't count on truth but perhaps spin.....

I have still learned from this incident and participating in this thread has been worthwhile thanks to a number of the contributors thanks

The investigative team works for the operator/agency ... you don't really expect them to either find the truth or even share their spin on the incident ... do you?

I was hoping one of the divers present that day who participated in the investigation would eventually have some knowledge of the report and share it on SB. My expectations were not high, I'm not surprised.

Good diving, Craig

They won't see it either, it is all work product for some law firm, likely you could not even subpoena it. It is not really an "investigation" in the classic sense at all.

I was also hoping that each of the divers that initially reported information would eventually report back with a more complete accounting of at least their own recollections of what happened, perhaps with a little additional information that they may have also learned during the investigative process. I suppose while all that may be useful to the rest of us divers it does not serve the purposes of the entities directly involved. Obviously the most interesting account would be directly from the DM involved, but because of liability claims I'm sure we will never hear that.

Back
Top Bottom