Baggage fee changes for other airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wow, I have been out of the loop (in Belize) and just read the posts regarding Frontiers goof up. :no What a great job you guys did!!! Thanks so much as they are my favorite carrier. Has anyone heard of any other airline baggage changes? I flew Continental to Belize and had no problems and am going to book with them this week for a trip to Bonaire in Sept. BTW - a friend of mine flew on British Airlines to London a couple of days ago and said that she had to pay an additional fuel surcharge of $300 each way. I still find that hard to believe but I'm sure that we are going to get hit hard with additional fuel surcharges. So I am going to get it together and try to book all my dive trips soon before they add on the surcharges. I don't believe that they can charge you after you have purchased your ticket. Do you? Thanks for any feed back on this topic!
Leslye

We are heading out next weekend to Grand Cayman using Continental. Checked their website and they are charging $25 for the second bag up to 50#, price goes up if you go over that.

Even with minimal clothes needed on a tropical dive trip, a diver can still get two bags each VERY easily!! :shakehead:

My understanding is that the $25 is only for within the US but for international flights you are still allowed two 50 lb bags. That's what it was a couple of weeks ago. Did they change it since then?

My understanding is that the $25 is only for within the US but for international flights you are still allowed two 50 lb bags. That's what it was a couple of weeks ago. Did they change it since then?

Nope. My niece is flying from Sweden to here on Continental, and 2 days ago they told her she could take 2 50 lb bags free of charge.

Thanks for confirming that my understanding was correct. Continental allows two 50 lb bags for all international flights. State side - one bag free, second bag $25.
Leslye

Wow, I have been out of the loop (in Belize) and just read the posts regarding Frontiers goof up. :no What a great job you guys did!!! Thanks so much as they are my favorite carrier. Has anyone heard of any other airline baggage changes? I flew Continental to Belize and had no problems and am going to book with them this week for a trip to Bonaire in Sept. BTW - a friend of mine flew on British Airlines to London a couple of days ago and said that she had to pay an additional fuel surcharge of $300 each way. I still find that hard to believe but I'm sure that we are going to get hit hard with additional fuel surcharges. So I am going to get it together and try to book all my dive trips soon before they add on the surcharges. I don't believe that they can charge you after you have purchased your ticket. Do you? Thanks for any feed back on this topic!
Leslye

There are other exceptions.

In my case my flights to the Big Island for this summer were booked last October which was prior to the 1 bag limit being put into effect. I am allowed two bags per person which no additional fee for the second bag since my flights were booked prior to the rule going into effect.

I confirmed this with United yesterday.

That makes sense and one of the reasons I think I will go ahead and book my dive trips now is to avoid paying the addition fuel charges as they are sure to come.

Oh how fun - the Kona Manta Ray night dives. I love coming up from the dive with Manta slim on my head. :11doh: I use Big Island Divers and in my opinion they are the most professional dive operator that I have ever used. And FUN! Enjoy your trip.

Leslye

Here's the other twist, if you are frequent flier, it pushes you even more into loyalty for that airline. I fly enough to have enough travel to make it up in a couple of airlines, and with their codeshares can avoid these charges on all but two airlines..Frontier and American.

That would be SWEET!!

Although we are flying into Houston and then down to Cayman. They'll probably charge me the extra for that first leg anyway.....:shakehead:

That makes sense and one of the reasons I think I will go ahead and book my dive trips now is to avoid paying the addition fuel charges as they are sure to come.

Oh how fun - the Kona Manta Ray night dives. I love coming up from the dive with Manta slim on my head. :11doh: I use Big Island Divers and in my opinion they are the most professional dive operator that I have ever used. And FUN! Enjoy your trip.

Leslye

Thanks. We will be using Big Island Divers for all of our diving on the Big Island.

We will be doing the Manta Ray dive and the Black Water dive in addition to the 5 two-tank dive package.

I will make good notes a put together a decent trip report when I get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom