Photography Equipment on Philippine Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btscott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Got my flights booked for October trip. Flying business SFO to Manila and economy from Manila to Bohol. I have a lot of camera gear and usually just use my wife's and my carry on to get most of it to our destination. Philippine Airlines has a very small amount of weight for carry on baggage. 7 kgs or 15 lbs. Are they strict about this requirement? Anyone had issues or non issues with this? Thank you

In our experience (like 3 PHL trips, but it's been awhile...)

PA may or may not weigh things. Might depend on if they are using their own people in SFO or contracting it to a US carrier. Flying biz might help on the way there. Seems more likely to be an issue in PHL or upon return. Likely if it's a carry on that is of a (standard US carry-on) size that's probably overweight before you put anything in it. Better hope of passing if you have more of an "international" size carryon, which may be a requirement.

An individual PA agent may or may not care.

PA may let it go if you point out it's camera gear. They seem to let computers go - have had them look at a bag, ask if it has a laptop, and just let that go. I seem to recall reading some fine print in PA rules about computers, as if they get that they can be heavy or fragile and checking a laptop isn't really an acceptable option. Some agents may treat camera gear the same way. Or not.

Owner of a shop we travel with sometimes said he's seen someone in the line at PA take a heavy camera out of a bag, hang it around their neck or hand it to someone else, then they would let the bag go through (and of course the heavy camera would immediately go bank in lol.)

If you happen to be in a group with an "expediter" type local person helping with transit, that seems to help, but that would be mostly for checked luggage. Though we had a handy (US) group leader on our first PHL trip who chatted someone up on the plane and had us out of our seats before we were at the gate, and through some diplomatic line to make a tight connection, where I'm pretty sure nothing got weighed. I don't know if more than chatting was involved.

My husband has a DSLR with a big metal housing, strobes, trays, domes, arms, etc. He's always managed to get through there. He uses a camera backpack, which holds alot and weighs a ton, is a bit chunky when full, and uses it as his personal item which they _probably_ won't weigh. Keeps it on his back, acts like it's light, maybe helps that he's a big guy. Stashes some things in other bags however makes it work. Non fragile heavy things like arms are good things to check, also so they don't consider them potential weapons. Check what you can. (Also tools, as security anywhere seems to randomly be cranky about tools, no matter how small.) Acting like something is light and irrelevant anywhere may sometimes let you slide things by. I guess some people do the fishing vest thing.

Also, you'll get to save a little weight by checking your reg (if you were planning to carry it on) since that technically isn't allowed in the Philippines.

Note that low carry-on allowances aren't so much a Philippines Airlines thing, but common around the world on non-US carriers. So if you're going to travel other places with a big wad of camera gear, or on small planes, it's a thing you have to figure out. You develop different strategies for different places, And ideally you will have a plan B.

Before he got the backpack, my husband used to use a hard rollaboard Samsonite with pick and pluck foam. If they didn't let him on with it, it has a chance of survival if it gets checked or gate-checked. Only once did he have to check it, and that was in Australia. It arrived fine. (The bellhop in the hotel broke stuff instead, but that's another story.)

In our experience (like 3 PHL trips, but it's been awhile...)

PA may or may not weigh things. Might depend on if they are using their own people in SFO or contracting it to a US carrier. Flying biz might help on the way there. Seems more likely to be an issue in PHL or upon return. Likely if it's a carry on that is of a (standard US carry-on) size that's probably overweight before you put anything in it. Better hope of passing if you have more of an "international" size carryon, which may be a requirement.

An individual PA agent may or may not care.

PA may let it go if you point out it's camera gear. They seem to let computers go - have had them look at a bag, ask if it has a laptop, and just let that go. I seem to recall reading some fine print in PA rules about computers, as if they get that they can be heavy or fragile and checking a laptop isn't really an acceptable option. Some agents may treat camera gear the same way. Or not.

Owner of a shop we travel with sometimes said he's seen someone in the line at PA take a heavy camera out of a bag, hang it around their neck or hand it to someone else, then they would let the bag go through (and of course the heavy camera would immediately go bank in lol.)

If you happen to be in a group with an "expediter" type local person helping with transit, that seems to help, but that would be mostly for checked luggage. Though we had a handy (US) group leader on our first PHL trip who chatted someone up on the plane and had us out of our seats before we were at the gate, and through some diplomatic line to make a tight connection, where I'm pretty sure nothing got weighed. I don't know if more than chatting was involved.

My husband has a DSLR with a big metal housing, strobes, trays, domes, arms, etc. He's always managed to get through there. He uses a camera backpack, which holds alot and weighs a ton, is a bit chunky when full, and uses it as his personal item which they _probably_ won't weigh. Keeps it on his back, acts like it's light, maybe helps that he's a big guy. Stashes some things in other bags however makes it work. Non fragile heavy things like arms are good things to check, also so they don't consider them potential weapons. Check what you can. (Also tools, as security anywhere seems to randomly be cranky about tools, no matter how small.) Acting like something is light and irrelevant anywhere may sometimes let you slide things by. I guess some people do the fishing vest thing.

Also, you'll get to save a little weight by checking your reg (if you were planning to carry it on) since that technically isn't allowed in the Philippines.

Note that low carry-on allowances aren't so much a Philippines Airlines thing, but common around the world on non-US carriers. So if you're going to travel other places with a big wad of camera gear, or on small planes, it's a thing you have to figure out. You develop different strategies for different places, And ideally you will have a plan B.

Before he got the backpack, my husband used to use a hard rollaboard Samsonite with pick and pluck foam. If they didn't let him on with it, it has a chance of survival if it gets checked or gate-checked. Only once did he have to check it, and that was in Australia. It arrived fine. (The bellhop in the hotel broke stuff instead, but that's another story.)
Thank you for all the good info. We travel extensively and each trip with camera gear is a new endeavor. I do not want to be in a position of having to check my gear. So, just trying to be as prepared as possible.

We travel extensively and each trip with camera gear is a new endeavor. I do not want to be in a position of having to check my gear. So, just trying to be as prepared as possible.
7kg is more or less standard in most places.
How strict is the regulation? It is all depend on the check-in staff! I have seen people got away with "murder" or have to reload the check-bag and paid the excess etc etc etc. Anything is possible.

As already suggested you better have Plan B.
1. You have to prepare to check in your photography gear. So pack them carefully in a not too bulky but sturdy case.
2. Prepaid Baggage
Dirt cheap eg. P400(less than US$9.00) for 20kg per sector ie. P800.00 round trip domestically.
3. The overhead storage compartment on small Airbus(most likely A321 series) is small so plan ahead.
4. Check-in early so there are room for your hand carry.
5. Occasionally I have seen ground crew at the gate and removed the big hand carry bag to cargo-hold at no extra cost!!! So make sure your precious gear is well packed!

Good luck.

Only one bag of no more than 32kg allowed for economy class.

Read the small print.
The bag will be weighted separately.
The cost is a more expensive than the usual excess luggage charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom