Bad (poor) trim on divers AND turtle? Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

110 miles from a hyperbaric chamber... Aren't you floating on one?

:popcorn:

Yeah, but pardner, when someone comes up bent (like last summer) you certainly aren't gonna use the one to which you refer. (And it was an "undeserved" DCS hit, by the way.)

(And it was an "undeserved" DCS hit, by the way.)

There is no such thing as an "undeserved" DCS hit ... "unlucky" perhaps, but you roll the dice every time you do a dive. Best you can do is minimize the risk ... but there will always be some risk of a DCS hit on every dive you do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Okay, okay...before semantics lead to 12 posts to berate the point...for better of worse, my definition (and that of the folks with whom I routinely dive) of "undeserved" hit is one for which there is no obvious cause. Yes, I'm well aware that the base cause is nitrogen coming out of solution in the blood and tissues. I'm specifying that there was no obvious contributory circumstances that would indicate that the diver should have been in a higher risk category (excessive depth, rapid ascent, see-saw profile, repetitive dives--it was the first dive of the trip--dehydration, etc...). Under my rather limited definition, it was "undeserved".

Is this normal? I think I may have to ask ahead of time to make sure we dont have stupid rules on any boat we go on..

My bet would be that if you and your friends charter the entire boat you can have a constructive discussion about which rules apply. For example, if you want to do two deep technical dives a day instead of five so-called no-stop dives a day, maybe you can work that out.

But if everyone else is doing 100' max for reasons that make good sense for them, it makes very little sense for one buddy team to be off doing something entirely different. Up here in Ontario, boat charters are usually classified as being either technical or recreational. Typically, the boat will only carry half as many technical divers as recreational divers because of the equipment required, and charge accordingly.

It all works out. So... I guess I wouldn't say stupid rule so much as something that makes sense in a recreational group context.

I agree that many dives are in the undeserved hit category. Proper hydration well before the dive ect. It still happens occationally and is not always a case of someone doing something stupid. Ive been lucky in the past, but now make a 1 minute stop at 50 and a 6 minute stop at 20 on 100% o.2. I also will not dive a tank that hasent been analyzed.

You ever dive the Flower Gardens???......It's 5 deep dives a day, square profiles......1st dive of the day is max 130', the other 4 are for max 100'----considering you're 125 miles from land & several hours from emergency help, I think this is pretty reasonable, don't you???......If not, what's your recommendations???....Thinking honestly about it, these 'stupid rules' have probably saved several lives & many hrs. in a chamber ride....On the other hand, maybe you enjoy enclosed, loney close quarters.......

EDIT: thought of 2 other of their 'stupid rules'......(1) 1st beer (drink) of the day ends your diving for the day and (2) if you run out of air, you've just made your last dive of the trip.....In all honesty, I would think it would be wise for you to find out 'ahead of time' all the stupid rules---althought they cover them in your 1+ hour 'predive talk' heading out the nite before, in 8 hours you can do alot of talkin' & coverin'........

Interesting attidude you have there.. nonetheless.. You shouldnt take offense to rules that you didnt make. Geesh..

I dont drink alcohol so thats not an issue for me. I have never emptied a tank without the intention of doing so. So the other two rules are just blah to me.. Its really that insinuation that if I go to 102 or 105 that my dives are done for the day. Thats seriously messed up.

When I dove the Speigel Grove, I liked their attitude. Pools open. We will be here for an hour. Dont get lost unless you like drifting in the ocean for 1.5 hours. Simple. You do your dive and its all on you.

I personally dive a very conservative profile and stricly adhere to my computer. But thats me.

(by the way.. this site has too many people whose panties are just waiting to be wadded up..)

Its really that insinuation that if I go to 102 or 105 that my dives are done for the day. Thats seriously messed up...

I personally dive a very conservative profile and stricly adhere to my computer. But thats me.

Ok, there's some kind of unstated assumption going on here... Please clear it up for me. Let's say we're getting on a boat together and we're going to do some number of dives. Do you plan your depth ahead of time or simply dive and watch both computer and gas to determine where to go and when to return?

Because if it's the former, I don't see the problem with their rule. If you don't plan to go to 100', so maybe you plan to go to 90'. There's no reason to be at 102 or 105. It has nothing to do with what the computer says is ok on that dive, it's simply that you didn't plan to go there, computer or not.

Plan your dive, dive your plan.

On the other hand, if your plan is to go to 90' and have a look around, and maybe you'll go deeper if you find something you like, you'll play it by ear while watching the computer's NDL and your gas, well then I can see how the rule would chafe you.

That's a much looser definition of the phrase "plan your dive."

Yeah, but pardner, when someone comes up bent (like last summer) you certainly aren't gonna use the one to which you refer. (And it was an "undeserved" DCS hit, by the way.)

On the contrary, if I were doing a bunch of relatively deep dives that far from shore, I would consider a boat equipped to support in water recompression a big plus.

There are a couple of common IWR procedures. I like the ozzie Navy's method of putting the victim in a sling and diving him to 10m on a FFM of surface supplied O2.

If I'm 30 minutes from shore? Sure, have him suck O2 on the ride back. Somewhere remote, though, and IWR is a reasonable consideration. With type 2 especially, prompt treatment is best.

On the contrary, if I were doing a bunch of relatively deep dives that far from shore, I would consider a boat equipped to support in water recompression a big plus.

There are a couple of common IWR procedures. I like the ozzie Navy's method of putting the victim in a sling and diving him to 10m on a FFM of surface supplied O2.

If I'm 30 minutes from shore? Sure, have him suck O2 on the ride back. Somewhere remote, though, and IWR is a reasonable consideration. With type 2 especially, prompt treatment is best.

No offense Blackwood, but I think a discussion about IWR might fit best in a forum other than Basic Scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom