Bad (poor) trim on divers AND turtle? Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver 85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Mother Nature had it covered better than this(the turtle's trim..lol..).....click below link.......Dive was the Flower Gardens July '08, Gulf of Mexico, 120 miles offshore---max depth 100' by boat rule(law--otherwisw you sit out the next dive)......btw, the guy with NO yellow fins came back with his computer reading '100'-----DM looked @ him & his computer & said 'You got lucky...lol'....

Flower Garden rig dive HI389A :: Carl, Bill, & turtle con't video by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

Looks like they're all trying to emulate the turtle ... not just with trim, but with all the arm-flapping ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

is that what they teach now a days...the turtle trim and swim. And to think I was - Doing It Rong...:wink:

Turtle can swim any damn way he wants to. It's his yard.

The platforms are fun, for sure. That didn't look like High Island 389, though (not enough growth on the legs and such). Am I mistaken or were ya'll on another platform?

And ya'll be nice to the turtle...just be glad he graced you with his presence at all!

The platforms are fun, for sure. That didn't look like High Island 389, though (not enough growth on the legs and such). Am I mistaken or were ya'll on another platform?

And ya'll be nice to the turtle...just be glad he graced you with his presence at all!

You tell me-----here are the others(pics & videos) I've uploaded from that dive........sorry if you don't agree, but that's it---unless they changed the rig number on the side of the rig.......lol........

Flower Garden rig dive HI389A pictures by GEAUXtiger - Photobucket

EDIT: actually, it's HI389A---maybe you're talking about another HI 389rig???

Mother Nature had it covered better than this(the turtle's trim..lol..).....click below link.......Dive was the Flower Gardens July '08, Gulf of Mexico, 120 miles offshore---max depth 100' by boat rule(law--otherwisw you sit out the next dive)......btw, the guy with NO yellow fins came back with his computer reading '100'-----DM looked @ him & his computer & said 'You got lucky...lol'....

Is this normal? I think I may have to ask ahead of time to make sure we dont have stupid rules on any boat we go on..

^^ Any restrictions should be covered in pre-dive briefings.

Whether it's common or not likely varies by region. Tomorrow we're going out to a wreck at 165'.

Is this normal? I think I may have to ask ahead of time to make sure we dont have stupid rules on any boat we go on..

You ever dive the Flower Gardens???......It's 5 deep dives a day, square profiles......1st dive of the day is max 130', the other 4 are for max 100'----considering you're 125 miles from land & several hours from emergency help, I think this is pretty reasonable, don't you???......If not, what's your recommendations???....Thinking honestly about it, these 'stupid rules' have probably saved several lives & many hrs. in a chamber ride....On the other hand, maybe you enjoy enclosed, loney close quarters.......

EDIT: thought of 2 other of their 'stupid rules'......(1) 1st beer (drink) of the day ends your diving for the day and (2) if you run out of air, you've just made your last dive of the trip.....In all honesty, I would think it would be wise for you to find out 'ahead of time' all the stupid rules---althought they cover them in your 1+ hour 'predive talk' heading out the nite before, in 8 hours you can do alot of talkin' & coverin'........

Nope, that's HI389, all right. The additional photos show the growth I remember (and the topside photo clinches it, of course).

By the way, I certainly didn't mean to question the ID or your word. The initial video clip just didn't seem to reflect the amount of coverage I've seen there. Great photos and video, and I certainly hope ya'll enjoyed the trip!

By the way, the rules we were bound to last summer was 130' for the first dive of the day and 100' and all subsequent dives. Is this normal? Yup, it is for the M/V Fling, and I don't know of any other boats servicing the FG nowadays. All dives are classified as "moderately deep" (most are a minimum of 80' or better, the shallowest is about 70') and there are eleven of them in two and a half days. The short trip has seven dives in one and a half days. Because the dives are scattered all over the place, there is little time for deco diving, since they move the boat often, and you're a loooooong way from a deco chamber should there be problems (110 miles out, in fact).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom