Bad Knees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rixxir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and my buddy gave me a set of scubapro older open heel fins. I have bad knees and I am using them to get certified. When completed I may be looking for some fins that don't seem as stiff/rigid. I have spoken to a couple dive shops and they recommended Oceanic Viper or Scupapro Twin Jet. I really would not like to spend a ton but I don't want to reinjure the knee. I will keep the original fins as backup but I thinks more flexible fins will probably be necessary, Any input?????????

Split-fins seem to offer less resistance while a diver kicks. Ask one of your buddies to lend you a pair of splits for a dive or two. Try 'em out. You might like them.

Not sure how much can be done from a fitness/conditioning standpoint. Sometimes a weak joint can be strengthened by exercising the surrounding muscles.

Having really bad knees or other damaged joints can be very limiting while scuba diving. There are certain dive situations, particularly those featuring strong current (and I know that Florida waters have that), where it might take a fair amount of force/strenuous kicking to swim against the current.
Were you required to obtain medical clearance to enroll for the basic OW class?

If you do have physical limitations and you decide to continue with the sport, it's important to plan ahead to accommodate those limitations and add extra layers of conservatism to your pre-dive planning. Otherwise, you might find yourself having to make some very tough choices on a dive.

Best of luck...

You might want to decide which kick you are going to primarily use. Splits work well for the flutter kick, and a paddle fin works better for a frog kick. A scooter works the best to save the knees :cool2:

I have no cartilege in either knee and had a shattered ankle. Many fins cause them to hurt like hell. I finally tried Force Fins. They definitely work for anyone with old injuries. I have no pain and usually make 2 to 4 dives a day, (dive shop owner). I can flutter, frog, everything with ease and they push water. Just a thought.

Having spent most of my life playing rugby, doing jiu-jitsu and running around places in the military, my knees and lower legs are pretty badly shot.

Force Fins... that's all I can say. Truly remarkable. :D

A set of 'Pros' will cost you $290... but they last forever (well, mine are still going strong after being dragged around inside wrecks for the last 3000 dives).

Nothing I say will seem that amazing... just try them and you'll understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom