Bad knees & fin questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rbahr

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need to buy a new set of fins, came with 2 and now only have 1... Oh Well...

I had a set of Scubapro split fins because I have pretty bad knees. So the question is: Are the Scubapro Jet fins going to be hard on the knees or should I stay with the splits or is there another good option? I am not doing any tech diving, but do sometimes end up in pretty bad current at times.

Thanks

Ray

The Jet Fins are much stiffer. Although I prefer them, it sounds like you would be better with the Twin Jet (split fin) or the Seawing Nova which is the inovative fine. The later is fairly easy to kick with and is good for speed, if you want it. The Twin Jet is still the easiest on the legs with the Nova being much easier than the Jet Fin.

You might look at sherwood Triton Fins. I wanted a fin that was easy on my knees but with a strong kick when I needed it. I also wanted them to work well with a frog kick. These seem to work well for my needs. The Jets were way too stiff for me. I have a lot of arthritis (73 years old).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S0IMOJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the amazon link. It's where I found the best price

I have a bad knee and for open water stuff use a set of splits. When I"m in my doubles I have a set of Dive Rite's blade type fins. My knee really feels better after diving with the splits. I have also found that with practice and learning my gear, I can do just about any kick with my splits that I can do with the blade type fins. The exception is a back kick (with either) but that is from some loss of motion from surgery.. It just takes learning your gear and practice. Borrow a set and see how your knees fell after. I can really tell a difference.

Some folks with severe foot or leg problems swear by Force Fins. Though not best for my use, Force Fins were very comfortable on both my feet and legs

Thanks everyone!

Guess I will be getting another set of splits!

Scubadada - did you mean the Force split or something else?

Ray

In the water the bad knee should not be effected by fin size. It's the mussels you use that determine the fin size. when out of the water your knees have weight pressure on them. That is most likely what causes the pain. In the water there is no or very little pressure on the joints. Smaller fins are easier on mussels but take more flips to get you where you want to go. Whatever you choose you will get use to them in time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom