Bad Ending to Otherwise Good Bonaire Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have sat and read through this entire thread. I have to say...This makes me a little nervous. We are in the process of planning a group trip to Bonair and considering staying with GRI. I am a little worried about explaining the possibilities of these types of thefts to our group. I am really afraid that they may decide to go elsewhere.

Personally, I want to bring my camera set up but now I am afraid. Is there a secure place to keep this while we are away? Are the safes big enough to hold camera equipment and strobes etc.? How many doors are in each room? all of these things are running through my head. I really don't want this to ruin my trip. I don't want to feel like I have to watch over my shoulder.

Liz I am definitely impressed with the actions that you have taken to help prevent problems in the future. I am curious as to where you are currently at with the upgrades and prevention methods. Also, curious about the letters that were sent to you. Any updates on that?

Thank you,
Andrea

Dear Andrea, since we (Wannadive)work together with GRI you might think I am partial, but I'll try to be as honest as I possibly can, so here goes:
Generally:
Crime sucks!! Wherever anyone is a victim of crime people feel violated. A modern outlet for one's frustration, reaching the entire world, is the internet. As such these frustrations will lead their own life and get responded to.

Tourists especially seem to be an easy target, which sucks even more (if at all possible), because vacation is supposed to be fun and relaxing. I have checked other fora, boards and threads, specifically on this issue, and it is not like Bonaire is any exception to any other place in the world. The only difference to for example the rest of the Caribbean, is that there is statistically LESS crime rather than more, and certainly less violent. By no means do I try to bagatellise folks' stories. In fact the folks who started this thread used our dive facilities.
Crime on Bonaire:
Crime sucks! Including when it happens on Bonaire. The biggest problem is perception. See: Whenever visitors leave the plane here, there is the complete perception that this is a complete docile and relaxed island. And it is! So people lose their natural common caution. But that doesn't mean that Bonaire can escape the menaces of this world including crime. However, and this is a true example. I have been living on Bonaire for twenty years. The last twelve years I own my own house, where I am living with my wife and three children. About eight years ago my door lock broke. I haven't bothered to repair it. For eight years my door has been open, anyone could have walked in, day or night. Hasn't happened. For twenty years my car has never been broken into, I have NEVER locked it day or night, hell my keys are in the ignition as we speak. I might have been lucky or whatever, but to assume crime is rampant here, is simply a mistaken perception. Don't worry there are no marauding gangs coming down on your vehicle like vultures, the idea alone ..........I am not trying to say crime does not happen, it does, (almost ofcourse I am sorry to say) but let's see this in the right context.
Crime targeting tourism
Unfortunately tourists are a welcome target to petty crime. While this too sucks the large one, this is a worldwide phenomenon. When I am staying in a hotel in the states, (and I usually stay in the better ones, pamper pamper pamper HA! :D ) I still hide everything somewhere in the room and I always leave my valuables at either the front desk, or secure locker. I'd do this worldwide. And wherever I have been, I hear of crime on tourism, even in countries where they chop someones hand off when caught.
Crime at GRI or any other hotel: All tourist accommodations on Bonaire are as safe as anywhere else in the world. Most accommodations have some sort of prevention program to keep the baddies out, and GRI more than most, but regardless of what one does, again like the rest of the world, all it takes in the end is a bigger crowbar. Hell, if despite everything a baddy can still enter a plane.......
So what can one do practically:
Very simple precautions. Basically just make sure there is nothing to steal. Don't leave valuables in the car while diving. Secure non essential valuables at the front desk or in a locker. Leave your car window open.........simple basic stuff. Most importantly, without losing common sense and natural caution: relax, it is no better or worse than anywhere else in the world, we just have better weather :mrcool:
Hope this helps at all.
Bart

We are planning on going in April and will take our usual precautions. Flip flops, 1/2 gal water jug and towel in open car. locked upstairs room. Valuables on us or in safe. Stay at Buddies where we have never had a problem. The shore diving in Bonaire makes it easier for theft to happen. Is theft higher in Bonaire than in Coz, Roatan, Utila, Grand Cayman, etc? Or is it just more visible?

Dorkfish....

If you are that worried, you can leave your camera set up here with me in my office, or if you want we can lock it up here in my office, which is also alarmed (when I am not here).

Mr Bart...THANKS SO MUCH FOR GETTING THIS BEFORE I SAW IT!!!!! This is why we love working with you...

Also TOTALLY agree with your post....Liz

The only difference to for example the rest of the Caribbean, is that there is statistically LESS crime rather than more...
lolROFL6.gif
Nice try.
And wherever I have been, I hear of crime on tourism, even in countries where they chop someones hand off when caught.
Crime at GRI or any other hotel: All tourist accommodations on Bonaire are as safe as anywhere else in the world.
Nope.

I am not at all world traveled, no - and there is much of the Caribbean I have not visited, including some that I won't - but there are many Caribbean destinations where it doesn't happen as much.

Mexico has a lot of crime problems, always has and it's getting worse, but in the tourist areas called Riviera Maya - nah. And certainly not with burglars entering rooms while the tourists were there, which even seems to be a little too common there. I was a little concerned the one night I spent in a Cancun market area until I saw all of the armed soldiers on guard. Tourism is the reason that Cancun and the area was developed by the government and they are not going to let those investments get ruined by thugs.

Yeah, crime happens elsewhere, and you won't ever read any trip reports from me on Jamaica and some other destinations, but Bonaire does seem to have problems so common that extra cautions are posted. The situation with remote shore diving is unique in a way, as compared to boat diving at most locations, private cays on Roatan, etc. - but to claim that it's no biggie is just silly. :silly:

I still chuckle thinking about the thread here about the guy who ran out of his room naked one night to stop a thief on his rental pickup. :D He did dress before returning to spend the rest of the night in it, but I won't take a rental that I have to be that responsible for. In Mexico I just make sure I have 100% insurance coverage and at the worst, I'll file paperwork with the police if needed.

I still shudder at the story one lady posted above, about waking up to a man holding his hand over her mouth, then not waking up again until morning? That one is too wild, especially since she still goes back there. For all I know it might not be accurate, but wow - others have had plenty of things stolen from their rooms while the were in them.

Nice try Bart, but nope.

Andrea,

Whoops, sorry hit "post reply to quickly". What we have done since is install onsite cameras, and during very busy season, we have security on site from 7p-7a. We have also installed lock guards on all the sliders (Ed fashioned a large 2x4 to slide down again the wall and the slider, so even if you don't lock your door, it cannot be opened, you have to bust the glass of the sliding door to get in.

The letters were forwarded to the Chief, and he did meet with the board of Bonhata (I was a board member) and explained ALL that is being done and updated (e.g. weeding out the "bad cops, increasing the number of police as well as training, etc). As I stated in a previous post, things ARE improving, but unfortunately we are a Caribbean island, so just like a lot of Caribbean Islands, it never goes as quickly as we would like. But changes are happening, and for the good.

We will do EVERTHING possible to provide you with a safe enviroment here at Golden Reef, though as Bart says, sometimes NO MATTER what you do....

I also have to make a point about the actual level of crime on Bonaire vs. what the internet "scares the begebes" out of people. 99.9% of the people who come to Bonaire, and voice their concerns with us about the "level of crime" they read about on the internet, come to us at the end of the trip and say "you know, its not as bad as "they" say it is on the internet. You just need to take normal precautions like you would anywhere else in the world.

I think you will be fine. Please feel free to email me direct with ANY questions, comments, etc you may have. I will do my best to provide you with the best and most accurate answers we can provide.

Liz

I will be coming to Bonaire the first week of March and it will be my 7th or 8th trip. Don't remember really. We have stayed at various places and done well over 100 shore dives and not once have we ever had anything taken from our vehicles or stolen from our rooms.

Like many have said, just use common sense. No need to lock vehicles. We never have. No one wants my $10 Walmart sunglasses, used flip flops, towel, or partially drank water.

There is nothing of great value in my room but if I did have something like that, I'd lock it up with the front desk or in the room safe.

My dive gear has always been placed in the resorts gear storgae area or on a table/patio outside my room and I have never missed anything and I have expensive stuff.

I realize that anything can happen and could next trip but the chances are so remote that I never let it bother me or worry about it. Far worse things in life can happen than getting something stolen that can be replaced.

As I was in the other room that was broken into (room 7) while I was sleeping, I wanted to give you my prospective on GRI. This post will not go into the break in details, police actions or philosophy on safety on Bonaire.

After the police woke me and we determined that indeed my room was also broken into I immediately called Liz and Ed. Ed arrived within five minutes from their home and opened the office to allow me to contact my wife so I could let her know to suspend my phone number on the stollen phone. As the robbers had also stollen my laptop I had no way to talk or Skype my wife. So each day Ed & Liz would make sure I had early morning and late night access to their office; outside of normal hours, so I could skype my wife.

Every day during the week that I was at GRI, Liz would keep me informed as to the progress of my stollen property all the while very sick and barrely able to talk.

During the week that I stayed at GRI I witnessed the actions that Liz & Ed took to ensure that GRI was as safe from future robberies as humanly possible. Including the wiring of the property for phones in each room and security cameras that they also ordered during that week.

This is the sign of owners who truly care for their guest despite the financially strain it puts on many small business owners especially during a time when many Bonaire businesses are struggling to stay solvent. I doubt that most resorts in Bonaire would have responded this swiftly.

Bottom line is no place is 100% safe from break-ins no matter what resorts you stay at. But if you do happen to be one of the unlucky ones like I was, you could not ask for more helpfull support than what I got from Liz & Ed. I would not hesitate to stay at GRI on my next trip to Bonaire.

Although the police were polite after our break in on Dec. 28th, I get the impression that they don't really have any means of catching anyone unless you detain the perp. yourself. The thief stole our camera from inside the waterproof case. We left the case outside our apartment for three days, having been told that the police would collect it for fingerprints. That never happened. I understand that it was between Christmas and New Years and that they may have been short staffed.

On the bright side, when we went to the police station for a copy of the police report, it took less than 90 seconds to get one. It was waiting at the front desk. On the "dark" side, my insurance (under "items normally kept in the home") has a $4,000 deductible.

Too bad it's impractical to get a replacement camera for that waterproof housing.

Yeah I like to ensure cameras and other electronics on a State Farm Personal Articles Policy: cheap, no deductible, pays great. I was amazed that they just wrote me a check on my over insured laptop - full amount.
Too bad it's impractical to get a replacement camera for that waterproof housing.
Yeah, more good housings exist for all makes & models than working cameras, but - which one was it? I might have any idea...

Back
Top Bottom