Bad Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have the best back in the world. I exercise, do stretches, and see a chiropractor. But my back is pretty untrustworthy. For all my future dives, I plan on using my back brace for moving around my gear. My chiropractor has no worries about me once I'm in the water, it is just entering and exiting that could be a problem. I don't want to loose a day of diving because of my stupid back.

I'm wondering if my brace would be safe to use underneath a dry suit. It is not expensive, just an ordinary brace I bought at the hardware store, so I don't care if it gets wet. What I'm concerned about are compression issues and the fact that it can limit my ability to take a deep breath. If I'm spooked by something (with a blare of trumpets, "I AM COWARD MAN"), I always find the ability to take a good and deep breath to be calming. So, I am concerned about loosing that option. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

I wouldn't think of using a back brace while diving. I myself have had on the order of 8 or so neck and back operations to repair fractured parts. Numerous implants so I can get around. What I had to learn is put on my gear while in the water. It took some doing but now it's second nature to me. The same goes for finishing a dive. Just remove it and hand it so someone to lift out for you if on a live aboard or carry it yourself if beach diving. Just my penny's worth.

Tom

I have a bad back, it acts up any time a someone asks me to help them move. :eyebrow:

But seriously, I would not consider wearing anything that might inhibit your ability to breath. If you are working out as you stated, the weight of a single tank, BCD, reg, and lead should not be "that" hard on your back. Just be smart about how you get your gear on and off. Use a picnic table, or other stand to put the gear on and take it off. If you are on a boat, make sure your buddy knows you want to go slow because of a wonky back.

I have 2 dive buddies that have backs that go out with a sneeze or just picking up a piece of paper. Yet they can carry heavy loads quite easily, they just have to lift properly.

Fishy8411:
I don't have the best back in the world. I exercise, do stretches, and see a chiropractor. But my back is pretty untrustworthy. For all my future dives, I plan on using my back brace for moving around my gear. My chiropractor has no worries about me once I'm in the water, it is just entering and exiting that could be a problem. I don't want to loose a day of diving because of my stupid back.

I'm wondering if my brace would be safe to use underneath a dry suit. It is not expensive, just an ordinary brace I bought at the hardware store, so I don't care if it gets wet. What I'm concerned about are compression issues and the fact that it can limit my ability to take a deep breath. If I'm spooked by something (with a blare of trumpets, "I AM COWARD MAN"), I always find the ability to take a good and deep breath to be calming. So, I am concerned about loosing that option. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

I've gotten into the water a little faster and more focused on the dive than myself a few times. I noticed I was a bit head heavy during the dive which was no big deal. When I was back on top and getting undressed I noticed the problem. I still had my ballistic vest, with the shock plate and back-up weapon on. 35% weight increase but thats easy to deal with.

Go for it. Just watch your entry and exits. Also make sure everyone around you knows the situtation.

Gary D.

Thanks for all your advice. I think I am going to try using the brace. When my back is in good shape (no pain, easy movement), it has never "gone out" on me while wearing the brace.

Thanks again for your input. I'll post the results of my experiment, just in case someone else has a similar problem.

Tom

Use a back brace under his dry suit. He says is helps him alot.
I also have a junk back from years of abuse. But lucky for me I don't need to wear one yet. I wear a wet suit down hear in Florida and it seams to give me extra support.
I do wear a bake plate in al my Bcd's I customize them to fit my backs contour so the weight to spread all over and dosn't end up on my lower back. Seems to work well. I tried a standard back plate but the corners pushed against my lower back and created pressure points and caused pain.
Fred

My back will go out if I use it wrong, and this only happens when I'm moving my gear around OFF, not on. You know, the twist and bend thing.
Once, when I was unloading gear from a boat whose name I won't mention (Uncle Pug) I was passing to someone I won't mention (Snow Bear) their too-heavy steel95, pony (pre DIR days) and BP from the boat to the dock, stretching, bending over and bang: back out for 2 weeks!
Gear on, no problem. So I try to get totally geared up at my truck.

Rick Inman:
My back will go out if I use it wrong, and this only happens when I'm moving my gear around OFF, not on. You know, the twist and bend thing.
Once, when I was unloading gear from a boat whose name I won't mention (Uncle Pug) I was passing to someone I won't mention (Snow Bear) their too-heavy steel95, pony (pre DIR days) and BP from the boat to the dock, stretching, bending over and bang: back out for 2 weeks!
Gear on, no problem. So I try to get totally geared up at my truck.

You still smell like garlic? How did the dive go?

Gary D.

Rick Inman:
LOL - You're not gonna let me live that down are you?!?! For sure I won't be letting you attempt to schlep around my double HP120's!!
I'm going to be in your neck of the world (Spokane) near the end of April - wanna dive?

Snowbear:
LOL - You're not gonna let me live that down are you?!?! For sure I won't be letting you attempt to schlep around my double HP120's!!
I'm going to be in your neck of the world (Spokane) near the end of April - wanna dive?

I already posted this in DIY, but maybe I better post this again here (DOUBLE HP 120'S!, Oh my). Lowe's hardware stocks a convertible hand truck for $68.00. It has ten inch pneumatic tires and a 600 pound capacity. It won't lift things out of a boat, but it will make getting there easier. Also, TSC (Tractor Supply Company) has a two utility wagons (with pneumatic tires) in stock. One is rated for 1200 pounds for $80.00 and the other (probably more manageable) rated at 800 pounds for $50.00.

Just an idea.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom