Bad air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lack of a test can mean a disregard for the rules or depending on where you are the lack of availability of testing labs (not to many in the Pacific islands). In one island I worked it would take almost a month to get an air sample back and by that time we had already changed filters twice making the test even more meaningless. A weekly maintenance schedule and record of filter change is more important than a lab test I believe.

Lack of a test can mean a disregard for the rules or depending on where you are the lack of availability of testing labs (not to many in the Pacific islands). In one island I worked it would take almost a month to get an air sample back and by that time we had already changed filters twice making the test even more meaningless. A weekly maintenance schedule and record of filter change is more important than a lab test I believe.
Yeah, that's the excuse I was often given - too difficult to get a test done, altho they can make other things happen if they're good for business. Try this: Shipping, Logistics Management and Supply Chain Management from FedEx You pack the test bottles, ask FedEx to deliver them, they get it done and the results are in. Damn so difficult?! Excuse me for laughing.

In the end, if it has a smell or a taste don't dive the tank! Anything can happen during a fill so it's best to maintain that dive rule.

Yes, even properly maintained compressors can go wrong - it only takes a leak to develop around a piston for oil to get into the air. It's pretty unlikely if the shop is getting their compressor serviced properly, but not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom