Bad air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The group was from Lubbock Texas,i hope i spelled that right.

maybe DandyDon can verify this version as told to me.Again it was told to me by someone who was there.It is third hand.
I believe San Angelo TX.

Not someone I'd want to do business with.

I know, it was highly suppressed. I can't give details, not allowed.

Why? Are you a part of this legal process?

Why? Are you a part of this legal process?
Nope, it's a long story. Basically the discussion thread on the accident got excited and the thread was pulled.

The lady simple said she didn't smell anything. Oh and if there was oil in the tank simply blow it out of the regulator with fresh air.

That is definitely the "wrong answer" for a dive professional to be giving you. :headshake: That should send up big red flags. You have made a wise choice in deciding not to use them anymore.

I would like to know if it is a Padi shop? If so, report this to Padi, insist on information from their last quarterly air tests - which I bet haven't been done since they opened. I don't know if other agencies require them or not?

actually they are a PADI shop. The dive shop my GF goes to (and is working to clean her gear) suggested that we report it to the gesundheitsamt (health ministry). I'm willing to do that but I'd rather do it with the 4 instructors backing me. I'd feel more confident with something from them stating that they smelled the air in the tank and what Kerstin's regulator is like now.
I learned one thing from it, TASTE TEST MY AIR. I understand that mistakes happen but at least own up to it if you make one.
By the way Don, you're welcome for this thread LOL. I really like scuba board. It's been helpful to a newbie like me =)

Well if I seem like a bit of an alarmist, that's because I am. Scuba is a not totally understood science tho, and while we do all we can to make our part safe, i.e. good training, following your training, good gear & maintenance, and so forth - we have to depend on suppliers for our fills. Divers do die from bad air tho, even with all the safety rules in place; probly the reason for the death and injuries on this new thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...44-10-divers-injured-one-killed-maldives.html

Padi rules require quarterly air tests and records, but try asking them to see their records?! While you're at it, ask to see the compressor; should be the cleanest engine you haver ever seen. But don't be surprised if they don't have records or "don't have time to show them," as there is no real enforcement of the rule.

You know, there does not neccesarily have to be oil In the tanks. If the compressor was in the line of any exhaust or smoke, or in a poorly ventilated area, then you would have tainted air without actually having oil Inside. Alos, some of the compressors out there don't have tons of filtration and are very cheap and cheesy, to your detriment. The woman at the dive shop does not prove anything by putting a rag in front and turning on the air... I would definitely stay away from that shop and report them to PADI and the local ministries. If they are in the right, no harm done. If not, then you will have spared others from possible tragic endings.
Remember, CO2 or CO has no smell or taste, neither does "good" air. You are checking for the smell of pollutants in the air and tank. You also want to also be alert for headache,nausea, red fingernails and lips(symptoms of CO2 poisening.
In any case. Always go on teh side of caution. Dive safe. Trust that little voice that senses when things aren't right. You can always dive another day.

Quarterly air tests mean very little, there was a shop here that had some of the best quarterly air tests in the I have ever seen and a well maintained compressor- one day a large delivery truck parks next to the intake while the compressor in running and the shop gets complaints of headaches and funny air taste all weekend - runs another test - its clean - runs a test on one of the tanks filled before the weekend - high CO- no one hurt but ....
Another accident in Mexico I believe where some tech divers turned a dive when one became incapacitated- thought the air was bad got it tested at some of the most popular test places in US - air was fine. Retested at a university and was found tainted with benzene.
A good air test is not a guarentee of good air - you are better off looking at the compressor- is it clean is it well venilated, is the intake far away from any potential exhaust sources, is there a filter system- when was the last time the filters were changed- this is more important then a test from 3 months ago that says the one small sample of air taken off the compressor (probably right after a filter change) was clean.
Many of the air testing companies do not test for many of the bad things that can turn up in your bottle. High temp can cause oils to break down into dangerous fumes, a blown seal can cause oil leaks many things can go wrong with a compressor that an air test would not find. I would be more interested in a maintenance schedule than a quarterly air test.

Thanks JD, but a total disregard for the rules regarding air tests must be something...?

Good suggestions on the inspection nonetheless. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom