Backup regulators on dive trips?

Do you take a backup regulator on dive trips?

• First stage only

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Second stage only

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • First and second stage

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • More than that, designate in post

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • No backup regulator

Votes: 39 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Atomic regulator, I don't need a backup regulator for myself at all. Never needed one, not even once, in all of my extensive travels around the world in the past at all. When I carry one it is when I am leading a group and I may need one for one of my fellow travelers. I do carry backup computer(s) however :)
I've only needed one when I used scubapro regs.

Since I switched to Deep 6, I haven't needed them either. But I always carry two regs as I like to sling an AL80

I've only needed one when I used scubapro regs.

Since I switched to Deep 6, I haven't needed them either. But I always carry two regs as I like to sling an AL80
I haven't needed substitutes either, in over thirty some-odd years of commercial diving; but others have, on occasion; and I was more than happy to oblige, when that time came -- since my compensation depended, in part, upon theirs.

It was simply a matter of preparedness -- a bit like having fire extinguishers on hand; having only used one once, over several decades . . .

I haven't needed substitutes either, in over thirty some-odd years of commercial diving; but others have, on occasion; and I was more than happy to oblige, when that time came.

It was a bit like having fire extinguishers on hand; have only used one once, over decades . . .
The reality is properly maintained regulators are highly unlikely to ever see an issue. Doesn't matter Atomic, ScubaPro, Apeks, Deep 6, Poseidon, etc..

People who do are either unlucky or have monkeys service their regs (what you get when dive shops pay peanuts).

I use AI computer so don't carry a spare SPG hose. I dive the Hogarthian way.
I carry a low-pressure hose and an adaptor I got from DGEX to convert it to an inflator hose. Having a hose failure I am covered.
I don't carry a spare regulator but I test them prior to dive travel.

A common problem I see with people is having problems on a boat or beach before a dive. When I ask when the last time the regulator was used, I usually get an answer like "I dove it last year on a trip" or "I did not have time to test it before our trip."

This system has worked for me very well over the years.

Depends on where I'm going. If dive shops are everywhere and I’m diving with a good dive op.....I may take a extra high and low pressure hose, mask strap, fin strap, orings and a mouthpiece. When we went to Cuba....I took an entire diveshop in a box. It just depends on where I’m gonna be and the likelihood of getting a rental reg in decent shape.

Jay

I regularly dive with the same couple guys, and we travel by car 1-2 hours or so and often will spend a long weekend diving multiple times in remote areas. We have a couple decent older reg sets that we upgraded from, and keep one of them serviced and ready to go to bring as a spare. Along with a mask or two, a decent save-a-dive kit of parts and tools, maybe some extra gloves, hoods and boots….

Always have a spare full set of regulators. They have been used numerous times, usually by someone other than me. I have the braided hoses on a Titan LX Supreme, the whole thing plus case is barely 4 pounds.

James

It likely depends on where / how you dive.

As vacation divers we always have the option of rentals / shop / LOB units. We always have more dive slots than we can do, so bumping one is not an issue as we do not consider it lost. Getting old changes your perspective?

We had a hose failure during a dive and the shop swapped in a new hose before the next dive for about half the price of our LDS at home.

Spare mask is a MUST as already been suggested (#10).
I do not have extra reg as spare.
Full service kits for both 1st and 2nd stages. No tool because I believe any scuba operator would have tool for Apeks even in SE Asia.
I take good care of my regs and service them myself.

My backup regulator is a rental. Although, I would consider taking one if rentals were not available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom