Backup regulators on dive trips?

Do you take a backup regulator on dive trips?

• First stage only

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Second stage only

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • First and second stage

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • More than that, designate in post

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • No backup regulator

Votes: 39 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I fly I bring two primary kits: A d420 with an Atomic Z1 safe second and a Phoenix Aqua Master with an AL Legend second. I also take a Z2 second as a spare. Plus assorted tools.

If it is a multi-day trip, I generally will pack a complete spare regulator set, which will allow me to switch out any component that has a problem. On one day trips, I have started taking a back up computer as well.

For trips just spare o-rings, HP seat & LP seat.
Only takes 5 min or so to swap a HP seat, maybe a fee minutes longer for LP.
Spare reg is far to heavy for international travel to remote locations.

Absolutely. .... I also typically dive with a pony bottle on which I use a high quality reg. That can also be quickly swapped out and used as a primary 1st or 2nd stage in a pinch.
Great minds think alike....... I do the same as you. My backup 1st & 2nd stage is my pony setup. With my scuba-tool in my dry bag, I can easily swap out 1st or 2nd stages with my main reg setup if something breaks. Takes 5 minutes >> back in the water & don't miss a dive. Everything is excellent quality, always IP checked and fully interchangeable. Since my pony is just a 7 inch hose I can just use my octo hose to swap with my main hose. Everything is always with me 100% of the time, even on airline trips when I just put my pony tank in my luggage.

IMG_6731.JPG

I usually travel with a minimum of three full regulators and extra gauges / computers, especially while working, where an equipment issue would be disastrous on any remote job and would likely have me keelhauled.

That habit has also carried over to my vacations . . .

(only when diving from our own boat) always carry an extra Scubapro 1st stage, Second stage, Alt air and 3 gauge console … wife and I each have our Regs and house rules are guests BYOG …

I found it easier to have the extra regs on board than all the myriad of possible 'save a dive' kit O-rings and “what-nots” falling out of the dry box (yes I’m plagued with Murphy as an uninvited guest) :)

It comes down to risk management: the risk being how many dives one wants to possibily miss. There are those who say you want to buy a reg based on the potential (but not guaranteed) availability of parts. I don't know if those people think that if they have an issue with their regs that they'll find someone who will drop everything and service their regs. Let's say that they do. Do you really want to jump in the ocean with a reg untested after service? I sure don't. The solution is to bring backups or to ensure they have extra regs on hand. Yes, on the boat, so you don't have to miss out on the second dive if there's a problem with the first.

Getting a reg serviced while on a dive vacation (especially a liveaboard) is not realistic.

I have an extra reg setup that could be used as is or to steal parts. But I fly to dive and as luggage restrictions got tougher I got away from bringing it. I might if going someplace I thought getting a rental or loan would be a problem but that rarely happens.

I usually fly to dive, or have to drive about 45 minutes for local diving, so I carry a complete spare set of regs, computers, and back up analog gauge set. For local diving, there is not an onside dive shop, and I don't want my, and dive buddy's dive scrubbed because I am having a bad day with my regs, computer, or gauges. Besides the cert training pool and OW dives, I have never used a rental reg set, and hopefully never will. Even before Covid, I did not like having a rental reg in my mouth, and more so now that I have seen how rental regs are routinely "cleaned" by many dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom