Backup regulators on dive trips?

Do you take a backup regulator on dive trips?

• First stage only

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Second stage only

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • First and second stage

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • More than that, designate in post

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • No backup regulator

Votes: 39 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It came up in another thread that some divers take backup regulators on their dive trips. What do you do? If you only take a backup on certain kinds of trips, you can include that in your post.

my wife is usually my dive buddy, and we dive pretty much identical reg setups. we carry a complete 3rd set of regs, that would suit either of us, when we're diving. Makes it easy to "grab and go" in the event of some sort of issue, and affords the luxury of not dealing with finicky stuff on a boat, or onsite.

I drive to dive. I always have a spare first/second stage in the car, along with various hoses, even when diving “local” (within a couple hours).

We not only pack first and second stages, but various hoses, SPG, o-rings, spools, tools and more for every trip. When driving down to Florida we pack a portable dive shop!

I typically just take an extra stage reg, 2nd stage on a 40 inch hose attatched to a 1st stage with an SPG on a 6 inch hose, and a few key O-rings. That gives me enough to cobble something together if needed (and it has been a few times). Anything else I plan for sourcing locally.

only if in a location where rentals are not available

Absolutely. I always have a backup 1st stage, 2nd stage, octo 2nd stage, various hoses, and an SPG in a backup regulator bag with me. I typically keep it in the car as long as I've been able to setup my rig before leaving the dock. If that isn't the case, I just grab that regulator bag and bring it onboard with me. I also typically dive with a pony bottle on which I use a high quality reg. That can also be quickly swapped out and used as a primary 1st or 2nd stage in a pinch.

If trip means flying, I don't carry a backup any longer. Guess why ? :mad: I tend to pack the lightest equipment. As far as my regulator's concerned, I travel with my Scubapro Mk11 + S660 + DS + SPG, without any backup, that's why I check it underwater (local diving pool) before my trip.

While diving home (or across the border) I carry a full set backup + spare DS + spare SPG and HP hose + tools and silicon. I dive with 2 regs (Apeks DS4). If I dive my rebreather, I also carry a spare set of O rings and O2 compatible grease..

I use Atomic regulator, I don't need a backup regulator for myself at all. Never needed one, not even once, in all of my extensive travels around the world in the past at all. When I carry one it is when I am leading a group and I may need one for one of my fellow travelers. I do carry backup computer(s) however :)

I can't imagine taking a back up regulator when I fly south to the Caribbean. Regulators are pretty tough and not likely to get lost. The only back up I carry on the plane is a second mask, along with small things like o rings, mouthpiece, etc. In many dozens of such trips I've never had any need for another regulator.

Back
Top Bottom